Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29 Apr 2012, 14:00

the fun is that if they use such a system and some few guys report their problem here on this site, it means that a lot more people will be blocked randomly... i don't think they need to lock down half of their potential customers just to be sure some spammers do not trash their site... or they are too lazy to install better server-side security fixes...
Old 29 Apr 2012, 15:38

Well whatever they have installed it hasnt worked... because theres more spam than a corner shop on there...
Old 29 Apr 2012, 15:45

Still not working here.
No fake ISP, I'm not a bot, lol

I am not going to use a proxi to get to the site, so they can do what they like, but all this means that I can't log on there for vB Arcade, which I was going to install.

--------------- Added 29 Apr 2012 at 15:46 ---------------

Originally Posted by vbenhancer View Post
the fun is that if they use such a system and some few guys report their problem here on this site, it means that a lot more people will be blocked randomly... i don't think they need to lock down half of their potential customers just to be sure some spammers do not trash their site... or they are too lazy to install better server-side security fixes...
Great post.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 21:49

Thank you to those who let us know about the issue, and my apologies to those who were blocked. As BirdOPrey guessed, I did install ZB Block last week in an attempt to fight spammers. Since it's obviously blocking at least a few people that are not spammers, I've disabled the system so nobody should have any issues accessing the site now.

Originally Posted by vbenhancer View Post
i don't think they need to lock down half of their potential customers just to be sure some spammers do not trash their site... or they are too lazy to install better server-side security fixes...
What would you suggest to stop spammers? We've tried many things over the last few years and none have worked very well. We still use vBstopforumspam along with a few custom tricks such as hidden inputs and blocking registration from the same IPs and e-mail from previously banned members. That takes care of a good bit of spam, but still quite a bit slips through.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 23:40

...best way to stop spammers is to close the site... rofl

ok, no, i mean with all the tricks used by all the people here, and no situation working properly, over the time, it's simply better to find a way to deroute spammers instead of blocking them...
Old 30 Apr 2012, 04:45

Originally Posted by Tigga View Post
Thank you to those who let us know about the issue, and my apologies to those who were blocked. As BirdOPrey guessed, I did install ZB Block last week in an attempt to fight spammers. Since it's obviously blocking at least a few people that are not spammers, I've disabled the system so nobody should have any issues accessing the site now.

What would you suggest to stop spammers? We've tried many things over the last few years and none have worked very well. We still use vBstopforumspam along with a few custom tricks such as hidden inputs and blocking registration from the same IPs and e-mail from previously banned members. That takes care of a good bit of spam, but still quite a bit slips through.
Eric's bad behaviour mod works well for many http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=261498
Old 30 Apr 2012, 08:00

Back working now, thanks.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:38

Originally Posted by Tigga View Post
I've an idea for something very-very simple, but had no time yet to do it. It's just an addition check. 95% of the spam message are long one. eg more than 500 characters. So I'm planing to place in auto-moderation xxx new posts which they are more than xxx characters long.

Chris
Old 30 Apr 2012, 10:45

Sounds like that would be very useful Chris

Btw back in vbadvanced now,thanks.Just waiting for my ticket reply now
Old 30 Apr 2012, 10:59

Sounds good Chris, I will keep my eye out for it coming out.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 11:20

Thank you. I started a thread to collect ideas for more check:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=282236