Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
vbAdvanced Missing <h1> tag fix! Details »
vbAdvanced Missing <h1> tag fix!
Mod Version: 4.3.0, by GHRake (Contributor) GHRake is offline
Developer Last Online: Feb 2017 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.2.3 Rating: (0 vote - 0 average) Installs: 4
Released: 21 May 2016 Last Update: Never Downloads: 0
Not Supported Template Edits Re-usable Code  

Anyone doing SEO audits on your vbAdvanced integrated forum will notice all vba_index pages won't have <h1> tags. So how do you add <h1> tags to these pages? I found an easy way to do this today:

Open Template navbar_link and find this line:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Wrap the {vb:raw nav_title} in h1 tags like this:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

This will make all your vbadvanced pages have a <h1> tag. All other content will have 2 <h1> tags that in my testing will be identical so it should not cause a problem with big man upstairs (google :P)

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

  • To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Comments
  #2  
Old 19 Jun 2016, 11:41
tme_power tme_power is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Nice, but be sure to check the style to make it more friendly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19 Jun 2016, 13:54
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Google now ignores H tags entirely. There is absolutely no reason to do this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24 Jun 2016, 03:31
final kaoss final kaoss is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Originally Posted by ProSportsForums View Post
Google now ignores H tags entirely. There is absolutely no reason to do this.
Do you have a reference for this opinion?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28 Jun 2016, 04:46
RichieBoy67's Avatar
RichieBoy67 RichieBoy67 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Real name: Richie
Originally Posted by ProSportsForums View Post
Google now ignores H tags entirely. There is absolutely no reason to do this.
Google ignores some meta tags like the keywords tag but I have never read anywhere about them ignoring header tags and I do keep up on this stuff pretty much daily. Can you please post your source?
__________________

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01 Jul 2016, 15:42
Mattwhf Mattwhf is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Originally Posted by ProSportsForums View Post
Google now ignores H tags entirely. There is absolutely no reason to do this.
I disagree with you about this, H1 is still imprortant for Google SEO and it is necessary to have on our forums
__________________
Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offer your hosting services for FREE!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02 Jul 2016, 03:13
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by RichieBoy67 View Post
Google ignores some meta tags like the keywords tag but I have never read anywhere about them ignoring header tags and I do keep up on this stuff pretty much daily. Can you please post your source?
Ignore probably wasn't the best word choice. Since the advent of HTML5 it is not only possible but encouraged to use multiple H1 tags per document. However, the use of multiple tags per document is due to the change in the Google Hummingbird algorithm from prioritizing tags to prioritizing semantic language. The best evidence of this is in that many sites home pages are no longer the highest ranked page of said site.

The following is a rather long and detailed read but to summarize it says that 40% of URLs do not use H1 tags at all. It also says that while use of H1 tags has increased 30% since 2014 the actual SERPs have only results in 4% of those sites receiving a higher ranking.

http://www.searchmetrics.com/wp-cont...tepaper-US.pdf

There are numerous other sources regarding the changes to how Google reads H1 tags but they are all very similar in conclusion. One SEO site which has been around since 2002 did a detailed study and found that using bold tags on their headings had the same results as using H1 tags.

https://moz.com/blog/whiteboard-frid...-has-ever-made

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the use of H1 tags altogether, although I will say from personal experience I've had sites with them go nowhere and sites without them skyrocket but that could have been related to the content more than anything else.

H1 tags did once have some semantic advantages over title tags in that certain phrase elements could be added but many of those have been deprecated in HTML5.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02 Jul 2016, 12:18
RichieBoy67's Avatar
RichieBoy67 RichieBoy67 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Real name: Richie
Originally Posted by ProSportsForums View Post
Ignore probably wasn't the best word choice. Since the advent of HTML5 it is not only possible but encouraged to use multiple H1 tags per document. However, the use of multiple tags per document is due to the change in the Google Hummingbird algorithm from prioritizing tags to prioritizing semantic language. The best evidence of this is in that many sites home pages are no longer the highest ranked page of said site.

The following is a rather long and detailed read but to summarize it says that 40% of URLs do not use H1 tags at all. It also says that while use of H1 tags has increased 30% since 2014 the actual SERPs have only results in 4% of those sites receiving a higher ranking.

http://www.searchmetrics.com/wp-cont...tepaper-US.pdf

There are numerous other sources regarding the changes to how Google reads H1 tags but they are all very similar in conclusion. One SEO site which has been around since 2002 did a detailed study and found that using bold tags on their headings had the same results as using H1 tags.

https://moz.com/blog/whiteboard-frid...-has-ever-made

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the use of H1 tags altogether, although I will say from personal experience I've had sites with them go nowhere and sites without them skyrocket but that could have been related to the content more than anything else.

H1 tags did once have some semantic advantages over title tags in that certain phrase elements could be added but many of those have been deprecated in HTML5.
I agree with you for the most part. H1 tags are not generally going to increase ranking though they do tell Google what part of the page is important. I believe bold text also achieves this to an extent.

One of your links pointed out adding keywords to h1 tags and this was not what we are talking about here. We are just talking about the use of H1 tags. Ofcourse these days Google is smart enough to notice keywords being pushed. I would also never recommend using more than one h1 tag or adding keywords to it.

As for this mod itself, I am not sure it will achieve anything positive at all by turning navlinks into titles. I really think this is a bad idea and my opinion is that only certain pages benefit at all from an h1 tag. Having them on every page is not beneficial at all.

##Your biggest mystakes article is from 2010 and while adding an h1 tag may not boost rankings or be a ranking factor it is part of a well structured page and I definitely would not consider it a big mystake.
__________________

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02 Jul 2016, 13:51
In Omnibus's Avatar
In Omnibus In Omnibus is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Real name: Kris
Originally Posted by RichieBoy67 View Post
##Your biggest mystakes article is from 2010 and while adding an h1 tag may not boost rankings or be a ranking factor it is part of a well structured page and I definitely would not consider it a big mystake.
So it is. But the article from which I excerpted that link is from 2014. I suppose the author thought it was still applicable.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/...1-tag-for-seo/

You know, if Google would just come out and tell us all what exactly it is they think they're doing we wouldn't have to have these discussions. But if they did that we'd know their top results are bought and paid for.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02 Jul 2016, 14:30
RichieBoy67's Avatar
RichieBoy67 RichieBoy67 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Real name: Richie
Originally Posted by ProSportsForums View Post
So it is. But the article from which I excerpted that link is from 2014. I suppose the author thought it was still applicable.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/...1-tag-for-seo/

You know, if Google would just come out and tell us all what exactly it is they think they're doing we wouldn't have to have these discussions. But if they did that we'd know their top results are bought and paid for.
Yep, and anything we figure out now is bound to change tomorrow anyways..
__________________

Let us take care of your forum, seo, seo reports, maintenance, what ever you need.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: