Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Old 17 Mar 2006, 14:29

added indexes

Have you added any extra indexes to increase performance? I remember Erwin posted some a looong time ago that was a real help to my site. I just wish I could remember what they were.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 16:15

We have added an index to the ipaddress column on the post table to help with IP searches and of course the full text index for full text searching. We have added a few others but I cannot remember them off the top of my head.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:48

well everything is based on what indexes you really need, as extra indexes do also increase the work a db has to do when inserting/deleting
Unfortunatelly i am completely out of vbulletin buisness, so i won't upgrade any of my hacks anymore. Everyone who wants to upgrade my hacks or use part of my codes is allowed to do so, without needing any special permission by me anymore. You just have to mention my full name if you want to reuse some of my work, thats all i ask for.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 20:08

Adding one to the IP address in the post table is a must on any large board - I really don't understand why it isn't default.

We have a few others due to some hacks - dateline and lastvisit on posts being two I believe.

Lead Developer, vBulletin.Org & vBulletin.Com
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.

Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Cable Forum - DigiGuide

Last edited by Paul M : 17 Mar 2006 at 20:11.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 20:45

Originally Posted by Paul M
Adding one to the IP address in the post table is a must on any large board - I really don't understand why it isn't default.

We have a few others due to some hacks - dateline and lastvisit on posts being two I believe.
IP is a must for the post table, I agree.

That IP search in admincp is a server killer - I've offloaded it to a slave search server actually.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 21:39

Only index i've added to my vb database that I remember is the IPadress one too.
But then there's also the indexes that have been added as part of other hack installs and upgrading the board.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 23:03

i've always wanted to add some extra indexes... but feared what would happen during forum upgrades. IP Address searching on our forum is almost a guaranteed server death...
Old 24 Mar 2006, 08:33

What eactly do you do to add an index? I'm assuming you are just adding a field to the table and specifying "index" or is there something else that has to be done for it to be beneficial?

Kevlar, I doubt adding it would effect upgrades. I have several custom fields added to different tables in my DB and upgrading has never been a problem.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 16:48

How does one add an index to the IP address in the post table?
Old 24 Mar 2006, 19:16

ALTER TABLE post ADD INDEX ipaddress

Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Cable Forum - DigiGuide
Old 03 Apr 2006, 14:55

Originally Posted by 007
Kevlar, I doubt adding it would effect upgrades. I have several custom fields added to different tables in my DB and upgrading has never been a problem.
Then my final question is ... why didn't the vB team add an index to that column already (especially since big boards all over suffer from this problem)?

That is the only thing stopping me at this point as it only seems logical to have an index on a column that is frequently used.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 16:07

hmm, the question cannot be answered directly

but on the other hand, there are a lot of forums, which don't store the ips, and then and index wouldn't be of use

as i posted above, and index also has negative aspects, if it wouldn't you could always index every single field
Unfortunatelly i am completely out of vbulletin buisness, so i won't upgrade any of my hacks anymore. Everyone who wants to upgrade my hacks or use part of my codes is allowed to do so, without needing any special permission by me anymore. You just have to mention my full name if you want to reuse some of my work, thats all i ask for.
Old 03 Apr 2006, 19:07

Originally Posted by Kevlar
Then my final question is ... why didn't the vB team add an index to that column already (especially since big boards all over suffer from this problem)
Perhaps no one has ever suggested it ?

Originally Posted by Xenon
but on the other hand, there are a lot of forums, which don't store the ips, and then and index wouldn't be of use
True, but it wouldn't harm anything.

as i posted above, and index also has negative aspects, if it wouldn't you could always index every single field
While indexing every field would ot make sense, there are a number of places that really could use them. The extra speed and saved resources on a select are usually worth the small amount of extra overhead when a record is added, and the space taken up. IMO people are often too afraid to add indexes when they really shouldn't be.

Cable Forum - DigiGuide
Old 03 Apr 2006, 19:24

The default setting on vBulletin is to store IPs and not display them publicly. Most people don't change default settings so an index could help everyone.

While indexing every field would ot make sense, there are a number of places that really could use them. The extra speed and saved resources on a select are usually worth the small amount of extra overhead when a record is added, and the space taken up. IMO people are often too afraid to add indexes when they really shouldn't be.
Couldn't put it any better!
Old 04 Apr 2006, 16:07

Index added ... no ill effects found (other than me being unable to wait patiently while the alter table command ran). IP searches are much faster now... almost instantaneous.