Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Old 26 Mar 2006, 18:17

Originally Posted by RJ2
As a big-board admin, I see no point in making this area private. Sites with less than a million posts may still be experiencing the same resource issues as a big-board admin and can still benefit from the information in this forum.

And as mentioned, we already have a private area on TAZ.
That's exactly what I was going to say.
My forum has ~200'000 posts, but tweaking tips are always welcome..
Old 27 Mar 2006, 02:34

Maybe just restricted to vbulletin license holders, that would be cool.

I mean, if you have a big board, you need to have a license, and if you dont have one license, why do you want to know how to run and/or discuss subjects about running/administrating big boards?

By big boards I mean those listed on big-boards.com (or those that qualify to).
Well, you said big boards are only those who qualify into the 500.000 posts, I dont see why we should only call big boards those who some ranking site say they should be big! Doesnt make any sense. Besides, Big-Boards.com has nothing to do with Jelsoft
Old 27 Mar 2006, 07:21

I don't see a reason to keep it hidden and I have a few very large forums (I don't really like the term big boards any more!). People are always trying to create private clubs to keep people out -- IE lets not give away our "secrets". The whole idea of vb.org is to share. Now if it was a security discussion section, I could see limiting it to vb owners only.

-vissa
Old 27 Mar 2006, 07:23

I don't see how it can hurt if the little guys can see,, but not post
Old 27 Mar 2006, 12:50

If the focus of this section is to cover feature enhancements, server tweaks, and other things specifically related to the vBulletin software performance, then keep it open...

if the focus of the section will branch out into financial/member goals, then it should be private.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 15:53

Originally Posted by Razasharp
Big board admins care - because it's them who the section is aimed at, it's them who are invited to post in here, and frankly, without them there would be no such section.

I thought this section was aimed at big boards not big-boards if you get my meaning. It is for big (IE large) board admins and not specifically aimed at those listed with big-boards. The description for this section is "Use this forum to discuss issues related to running large vBulletin forums" it doesn't mention anything about big-boards. If I am misinformed, forgive me.

Last edited by Karri : 27 Mar 2006 at 19:52.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:51

I visit a couple of sites (TAZ and http://www.bigboardadmin.com among them) and I think that a lot of larger forum owners simply prefer to discuss some matters in private -- especially since the information being shared is of a semi-sensitive nature.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:54

I'm a BBA, and don't care if this board is 'open'.

To be honest, I don't see the point in making them private. (I've read the points that have been made...but I don't think they justify making the boards private.)
Old 28 Mar 2006, 02:56

I have a site with 280,000+ posts and I do not think this should be made private at the big-boards.com standard. There are a lot of good tips big board admins can give out that would apply to a site my size as well. Also why should big-board.com define what a big-board is here anyway and knock out those that could still benefit from this discussion?

Last edited by BamaStangGuy : 28 Mar 2006 at 03:00.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 17:25

As a non big-board owner, I disagree with making this forum private. Why? Because I administer a board for a friend of mine that is growing exponentially. Probably by summer it will be at "big board" status and I would like to incorporate optimization tips found here before it does reach "big board" status.

Also, I don't understand what purpose a private forum would serve.

Bad idea overall.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 03:32

I thought this forum was for board admins who are big.

Old 29 Mar 2006, 04:18

Originally Posted by vissa
I don't see a reason to keep it hidden and I have a few very large forums (I don't really like the term big boards any more!). People are always trying to create private clubs to keep people out -- IE lets not give away our "secrets". The whole idea of vb.org is to share. Now if it was a security discussion section, I could see limiting it to vb owners only.

-vissa

Well said. I agree.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 05:29

Originally Posted by vissa

-vissa
I SO agree...
Old 09 Nov 2006, 17:15

Originally Posted by Erwin
I thought this forum was for board admins who are big.

Admins who have a big ego you mean?

:alien:

Webhostingtalk.nl
█ The biggest and best hosting forum in Europe!
Old 09 Nov 2006, 17:47

/me points out to Domenico that Erwin's post is 8 months old.