Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23 Oct 2007, 22:45

Questions before buying

Hello ... I am thinking of mounting a forum and vbulletin is my first choice at the time of the database ...

But before buying the license have some doubts:

The price is 85 dollars a year ... once finished the year .. I expect to be able to pay back?
If it ends and my vbulletin continues installed? ... Which brings me problems?
That sections?

Remove from vbulletin.org hacks, it apart? Or is the same account.

If my license ..... I just clears the mind and prevent me from access or just downloads? ..

My questions are these good .... I hope I can advise before buying.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 00:07

You can pay $160 one time and have it installed forever, if you're concerned about it running out. Then just pay $30 a year if you want updates.

I'm not sure what you mean with the second half of that.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 01:18

$85 buys you one year, at the end of that year you must pay again or remove the software from your server. If you don't then the Jelsoft anti piracy team will request your host shut down your server or hosting account.

Lead Developer, vBulletin.Org & vBulletin.Com
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.

Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Cable Forum - DigiGuide
Old 24 Oct 2007, 01:21

Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
$85 buys you one year, at the end of that year you must pay again or remove the software from your server. If you don't then the Jelsoft anti piracy team will request your host shut down your server or hosting account.
If the lease licenses expires, will vb.org still show you up as licensed?
And still have privileges

I thought vb.org never expire, not sure.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:24

I believe that your vB.org membership will be "unverified" when the leased license expires.

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 21:02

Originally Posted by Dismounted View Post
I believe that your vB.org membership will be "unverified" when the leased license expires.
I heard Kerry-Anne say a while back that vb.org accounts never expire, did that get changed?
Old 25 Oct 2007, 06:42

The account never expires, but your Licensed Status will only stay as long as there is a valid license under the customer account.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 07:12

Originally Posted by Shazz View Post
I heard Kerry-Anne say a while back that vb.org accounts never expire, did that get changed?
That was probably in relation to owned licenses, not leased.

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 19:17

Originally Posted by Dismounted View Post
That was probably in relation to owned licenses, not leased.
So if someone had a leased license, released a modification and their leased license gets expired. They couldn't support their mods?
Old 26 Oct 2007, 06:11

There is no difference between Leased and Owned. As long as you have a valid license, you will show up as licensed on vb.org.

@Shazz,

If someone does not have a valid license they are not allowed to have vBulletin, so support would be a bit difficult anyway. But i think that coders are still allowed to post in their own modification threads, even when they are not licensed anymore.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 07:29

Originally Posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
If someone does not have a valid license they are not allowed to have vBulletin
If you have an owned the license, you're free to use the software. If you don't renew your license for updates, doesn't mean that you forfeit your owned license, you just don't get the updates (or can request mods here).

Leased licenses must be renewed yearly; owned licenses when the admin wants to keep his forum updated.

--------------- Added 27 Oct 2007 at 07:44 ---------------

Originally Posted by Shazz View Post
So if someone had a leased license, released a modification and their leased license gets expired. They couldn't support their mods?
Mods are tied in with updates and getting support. So if a leased license expires, any mods or support stops.

You're better off in the long-run to get an owned license, since you can still operate vBulletin. Won't get updates or support without the yearly $30 fee, but you can still be free to use vBulletin and mod for it (just not here without the $30/year fee). It's a great option for developers (and folks who are busy with school/work), who may not be into running a forum itself, as much as to mod for it as a customer requests (where they can update their license when a request comes in).

Last edited by ChrisLM2001 : 27 Oct 2007 at 07:44. Reason: Auto-Merged DoublePost
Old 27 Oct 2007, 08:00

Originally Posted by ChrisLM2001 View Post
If you have an owned the license, you're free to use the software. If you don't renew your license for updates, doesn't mean that you forfeit your owned license, you just don't get the updates (or can request mods here).
Nobody ever said different. If you have an expired owned license, you still have a valid license.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 09:04

Originally Posted by Marco van Herwaarden View Post
Nobody ever said different. If you have an expired owned license, you still have a valid license.
New customers don't know what valid would mean. Need to be explicit with the two paths: leased and owned. As leased the license will expire after a year and will need to be renewed; that's not the case with an owned license. You did not differentiate, especially to potentially new customers.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 11:52

If you want to start getting picky, owned licences do not expire at all, they are still valid licences.

They will always show as valid here.

Lead Developer, vBulletin.Org & vBulletin.Com
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.

Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Cable Forum - DigiGuide

Last edited by Marco van Herwaarden : 28 Oct 2007 at 11:08.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 12:08

This is the place to ask those picky questions, because no one wants to buy something that doesn't agree with their terms.