Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Force Users To Define Avatars Details »
Force Users To Define Avatars
Developer Last Online: Dec 2016 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.2.x Rating: (3 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 13
Released: 29 Feb 2016 Last Update: 03 Mar 2016 Downloads: 37
Supported Uses Plugins Re-usable Code Translations  

Overview:

This product simply allows you to select usergroups which will be required to define an avatar before being allowed to browse the forums. For affected users, an error message will be displayed with a link to define an avatar.

If you require users to define an avatar regardless of the number of posts they have made, they will see the following:

If you have given your affected users "grace posts", then once they have made that number of posts, the will see something like:

The phrases for the error messages are found here:

Updates:

At the suggestion of Stratis (who has always been a great supporter of my mods), I have made the following updates:

Version 1.1:
  • Added a setting that allows you to give affected users a set number of "grace posts" that they can make before being required to define an avatar.

Version 1.2:
  • Changed execution order of main plugin so it executes before "Force Users to Read a Thread" product.
  • Added setting to allow for chosen scripts to be excluded from the actions of this product.

Compatibility:

Tested and working on VB 4.2.x and may work on all 4.x versions of vBulletin.

Backup/Warning:

This product does not alter your database, however it is always good practice to make regular backups and you should make a backup before installing ANY new mod.

As always, products are USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I will provide support and do my best to help but no absolute guarantee is offered.

To Install:

1. Download and extract the attached .zip file.
  2. Follow AdminCP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Add/Import Product.
  3. Click on "Choose File" and browse to the product .xml file that was packaged in the .zip file.
  4. Click "Import."
  5. You MUST enable the product in the settings before it will function.
  6. Configure the remaining settings to your liking. Each setting has a detailed explanation of its use.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	markfl_forceavatar_error.png
Views:	248
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	154329   Click image for larger version

Name:	markfl_forceavatar_error_graceover.png
Views:	237
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	154331   Click image for larger version

Name:	markfl_forceavatar_phrases.png
Views:	246
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	154332   Click image for larger version

Name:	markfl_forceavatar_acp.png
Views:	184
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	154388  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Comments
Old 29 Feb 2016, 16:21

Mark, you are on fire!

Great idea, I am working on a site with over 100000 members with MANY missing avatar images.
Drives me nuts seeing the missing image X on postbit.
This will force them to add an avatar before continuing right?
Check out my arcade! ibproarcade games and edits by stangger5
Old 29 Feb 2016, 16:28

Originally Posted by blind-eddie View Post
Mark, you are on fire!

Great idea, I am working on a site with over 100000 members with MANY missing avatar images.
Drives me nuts seeing the missing image X on postbit.
This will force them to add an avatar before continuing right?
Yes, they will not be allowed to do anything (except log out) without defining an avatar.

I think this will work on vB 3.8.x too without any changes, and I am going to check that out soon, and either way I will be releasing a vB 3.8.x version (hopefully) sometime today.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 16:35

Thank you and nominated.
Check out my arcade! ibproarcade games and edits by stangger5
Old 29 Feb 2016, 17:47

Update - Version 1.1:

At the suggestion of Stratis (who has always been a great supporter of my mods), I have made the following update:
  • Added a setting that allows you to give affected users a set number of "grace posts" that they can make before being required to define an avatar.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 19:14

Very nice, works perfect in 4.2.0pl4

Thank you
Old 29 Feb 2016, 19:21

Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
I think this will work on vB 3.8.x too without any changes, and I am going to check that out soon, and either way I will be releasing a vB 3.8.x version (hopefully) sometime today.
vBulletin Message

The following dependencies were not met:

This product is not compatible with version 3.8.7 of vBulletin. (Compatible starting with 4.0.0 / Incompatible with 5.0.0 and greater)
On install attempt at a 3.8
Old 29 Feb 2016, 20:47

Well...what I meant was it might work with vB 3.8.x without any plugin code changes. Obviously the dependencies would have to be altered.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 21:06

Well...what I meant was it might work with vB 3.8.x without any plugin code changes. Obviously the dependencies would have to be altered.
Yeah I assumed you were saying you made this version-agnostic, so tried it.
Old 03 Mar 2016, 17:14

Question, I use mod "Force Reading of PMs"

If member login in to site and has a private message at the same time with the announcement to define an avatar, we have a problem.
Define avatar mod does not let user to read PM. He can put avatar but for some reason, two members took time to guess , they keep pressing to read PM (I have a big image for that.)

Is there a way to block some scripts? maybe an option to insert what we want to exclude.
private, usercp, or what else.
Maybe it has problem with other forcing mods to, I did not try mod "force users to read thread"

Mark, every day members willing or not put there avatars, this changed the appearance of forum. Very nice
Old 03 Mar 2016, 19:38

Originally Posted by Stratis View Post
Question, I use mod "Force Reading of PMs"

If member login in to site and has a private message at the same time with the announcement to define an avatar, we have a problem.
Define avatar mod does not let user to read PM. He can put avatar but for some reason, two members took time to guess , they keep pressing to read PM (I have a big image for that.)

Is there a way to block some scripts? maybe an option to insert what we want to exclude.
private, usercp, or what else.
Maybe it has problem with other forcing mods to, I did not try mod "force users to read thread"

Mark, every day members willing or not put there avatars, this changed the appearance of forum. Very nice
When I force a thread to be read, then a member without an avatar first sees that he must read a thread, and then when he clicks the provided link, he sees that he must define an avatar. Once he defines an avatar, he is done, but he has not actually seen the thread he was supposed to read.

I will soon investigate how to make this work with "Force Reading of PMs" as well...I will have to install it and run some tests.
Old 03 Mar 2016, 19:55

When I force a thread to be read, then a member without an avatar first sees that he must read a thread, and then when he clicks the provided link, he sees that he must define an avatar. Once he defines an avatar, he is done, but he has not actually seen the thread he was supposed to read.
You and me and many others will have no problem, they will insert first the avatar, we have in forum many "dummies" users that even to register is hard for them. (like me in coding)

They press what comes first or what they thinks that time. Any way same situation is with force PMs. Maybe their are more forcing mods out there, or other function
that I cannot remember now. If it has an option for us to exclude what we want it would be the best. neither than excluding something specific, today is PM, tomorrow maybe something else.

P.S If it is no hard to make it. Otherwise its ok as it is.
Old 03 Mar 2016, 20:50

Update - Version 1.2:
  • Changed execution order of main plugin so it executes before "Force Users to Read a Thread" product.
  • Added setting to allow for chosen scripts to be excluded from the actions of this product.
Old 03 Mar 2016, 21:57

Yep, this makes the difference, excellent for another time
In my case I put this (private,usercp).

Some Scripts for non coders like me.
activity
album
blog
calendar
forumdisplay
group
newreply
newthread
picture
private
search
showthread
usercp
vbcms

Thank you Mark
Old 12 Nov 2016, 10:45

Mark today I log in as a test user that has no avatar, mod forces me to insert an avatar. If I press in tabs I have for forums I realized that all images at the left side don't show up next to the thread title. it is not problem of this mode, but I use this to show those images http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=270794

For some reason, until member puts an avatar all forums don't show images and instaed of it shows the X

Any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: png x.png (138.3 KB, 37 views)