Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Lightweight Style for Small Screen Devices (cell phone, iphone, mobile, android) Details »»
Lightweight Style for Small Screen Devices (cell phone, iphone, mobile, android)
Developer Last Online: Sep 2014 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.1.8 Rating: (96 votes - 4.82 average) Installs: 871
Released: 25 Aug 2010 Last Update: 16 Dec 2011 Downloads: 5732
Supported  

A lightweight *forum only style aimed at small screen devices such as Windows Smartphones, Nokias and even iPhones. It has VERY low bandwidth requirements - 15 times less on my site - 20K as opposed to 300K for forumhome.

*forum only - I have done a very small amount of rough work on CMS templates, a simple single column CMS *could* be created to work with this style without too much effort. However I am not sure if you can have a different CMS layout dependent on which style you are using?

This is an update to the mobile style I have previously released.

The changes are predominantly aesthetic to take advantage of larger screens.

It is also much easier to change colour schemes by editing the commented CSS file.

Demo: http://vbdev.org/forum.php?styleid=7

This is a a lightweight style and as such has much reduced functionality/information over the default vBulletin style.

Install instructions:
  • Firstly, if upgrading, I recommend installing this as a new style rather than overwriting your previous install. This way you get to test it first without trashing your existing style.
  • BACKUP YOUR EXISTING lightweight.css.php FILE IF YOU HAVE CSS CUSTOMISATIONS
  • Download ZIP file
  • Unzip to a local/temp directory
  • Edit lightweight.css.php file to customise colours if required
  • Upload contents of the upload directory in the zip file folder to your forum root.
  • Install style XML via Style Manager in your ADMINCP
  • **Install and configure "LightWeight Style Options"
  • See post 2 for a FAQ
  • Click "Mark as Installed"
  • Test it out
  • Leave a rating
  • Leave feedback
  • Enjoy checking your site from your mobile phone without the need to pinch/zoom/wait etc...
Version Control:
1.0.0 - 25 AUG 2010 - Initial Release on vBulletin.org
1.0.1 - 26 AUG 2010 - Fixed "Mark All Forums Read" link in Search results. Released Lightweight Style Options to customise this
1.0.2 - 21 MAR 2011 - Updated to 4.1.2, removed short tags from CSS, fixed some issues discovered since last release, added some stuff.
1.0.3 - 16 DEC 2011 - Updated to 1.0.3, tried to fix all known issues. Nothing new. If you have updated your site as bugs have been found, probably no need to upgrade. But if you're upgrading your site from to 4.1.9, might be worthwhile.
1.0.3a - 16 DEC 2011 - remove test ad hook code accidently left in postbit_legacy template
Branding Free:
The style is free to use. However I ask that you keep links in the footer. If you want to remove them - send me a donation of an amount you can afford, or that you think is fair/reasonable, it's up to you how much.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Addons

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	lightweight-screenshot.png
Views:	37244
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	121268

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Mobile Phone / iPhone / PDA Detection and Style Assignment dartho vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 137 08 Jun 2014 15:51
Mobile Phone / iPhone / PDA Detection and Style Assignment dartho vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 405 27 Apr 2014 01:34
Mobile, Cell, Phone, PDA, iPhone Style dartho vBulletin 3.7 Styles 795 16 Aug 2012 13:39
Mobile/Cell Phone Style dartho vBulletin 3.6 Styles 313 21 Aug 2011 22:04

Old 17 Dec 2011, 00:05

thanks for the update dartho
I have a questions for ya
How do I go about adding Next to the page nav..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pagenav.jpg (4.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 18 Dec 2011, 08:16

Just uploaded the latest version when I upgraded to 4.1.9, and noticed that this step:

"replace the contents of the editor_ckeditor template with that of the editor_toolbar_off template"

doesn't seem to be in there, which lead to a bit of weirdness. Apart from that, very nice!
Old 18 Dec 2011, 10:18

Originally Posted by thenamesgould View Post
Just uploaded the latest version when I upgraded to 4.1.9, and noticed that this step:

"replace the contents of the editor_ckeditor template with that of the editor_toolbar_off template"

doesn't seem to be in there, which lead to a bit of weirdness. Apart from that, very nice!
Is that to say you did this, and then all was cool?
Old 18 Dec 2011, 13:01

Originally Posted by Bacon Butty View Post
Thanks for attempting to fix my problem - sure is appreciated.

I only have a couple of basic add-ons (VSa - Advanced Permissions Based on Post Count, Word Links by BOP5 VB4, vBookie, vB Optimise Lite, Separate Sticky and Normal Threads, Notification for Reputation) - no detection scripts.

If you have a moment, the website is www.grandoldteam.com/forum. If you visit via a mobile, you'll find your unable to escape the default mobile skin on any page other than forum home. Absolutely no idea where to look to fix, .htaccess?
Hi Dartho,

Just an update on this one. It seems a lot of users are finding themselves unable to "switch off the mobile style and use the regular forum default on their mobile devices" once upgraded to 4.1.8;

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...08#post2244908

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...obile-template

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...owser-(vB4-1-9)

I realise it's likely to be a vBulletin issue, rather than your mod - but thought I'd advise here incase anyone else is having the same problem.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 15:46

I have it installed on 4.1.3 And the only question I have if it looks right. I works great from a phone. Loads up a ton faster than any other style. Still loads pictures in a post, that is a plus. Here are two screen shots from my site.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 18 10.41.gif (7.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: gif ScreenHunter_02 Dec. 18 10.42.gif (16.4 KB, 9 views)

Old 19 Dec 2011, 00:54

Originally Posted by bremereric View Post
I have it installed on 4.1.3 And the only question I have if it looks right. I works great from a phone. Loads up a ton faster than any other style. Still loads pictures in a post, that is a plus. Here are two screen shots from my site.
It looks like you have not upload the lightweight.css.php file to your forum root
Old 19 Dec 2011, 00:59

Originally Posted by Bacon Butty View Post
Hi Dartho,

Just an update on this one. It seems a lot of users are finding themselves unable to "switch off the mobile style and use the regular forum default on their mobile devices" once upgraded to 4.1.8;

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...08#post2244908

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...obile-template

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...owser-(vB4-1-9)

I realise it's likely to be a vBulletin issue, rather than your mod - but thought I'd advise here incase anyone else is having the same problem.
I'm sure VB will get onto this quick - esp since 4.1.9 was meant to be a big mobile fix release

edit: I looked at the vb detection code - it hasn't changed between 4.1.7 and 4.1.9.

Last edited by dartho : 19 Dec 2011 at 01:19.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 04:21

Originally Posted by dartho View Post
It looks like you have not upload the lightweight.css.php file to your forum root
You were correct sir. Sure looks different now. I am new to this but I am still not so smart that I can't ask questions. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_03 Dec. 18 23.17.jpg (85.8 KB, 13 views)

Old 19 Dec 2011, 15:01

Can you please link up all the modifications I can do to this theme so that I don't have to overwrite my XML file with the update? Thanks!
Old 19 Dec 2011, 15:01

Dartho, does the latest version no longer show 'Currently Active Users'? Or is the issue at my end? Installed on 4.1.9.

Last edited by S_E_A : 19 Dec 2011 at 16:20.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 21:14

Originally Posted by S_E_A View Post
Dartho, does the latest version no longer show 'Currently Active Users'? Or is the issue at my end? Installed on 4.1.9.
Do you have the Options addon installed and have Show "What's Going On" set to 'Yes' in it's settings in AdminCP?
Old 19 Dec 2011, 21:25

if you dont use that option addon remove this code
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...&postcount=566
Old 20 Dec 2011, 00:00

@ dartho - the mobile styles Logo is not appearing, I tried changing it on the stylevars titleimage. didn't work. using the latest version on vb 418.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 01:54

You need to edit the css file - this style doesn't user the stylevars system. alternatively, you can edit the header template (or it could be navbar) and edit it direct
Old 20 Dec 2011, 02:05

i see. which css file is that? having a hard time finding it in the header and navbar templates.

Also how do you disable the cms sidebar for the mobile style?
I tried adding the below code to the Lightweight Style Options but didn't work

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Last edited by The Rocketeer : 20 Dec 2011 at 11:14.