Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Mod Options
Lightweight Style for VB3.8.7 iPhone/Mobile/Cell/PDA Details »
Lightweight Style for VB3.8.7 iPhone/Mobile/Cell/PDA
Mod Version: 1.0.1, by dartho (Coder/Designer) dartho is offline
Developer Last Online: Sep 2016 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 3.8.7 Rating: (30 votes - 4.80 average) Installs: 230
Released: 18 May 2011 Last Update: 20 May 2011 Downloads: 1746
Not Supported Re-usable Code  

A few have asked for this, hope you like it.

As the title suggests, this is a lightweight style for vBulletin 3.8.7 (and probably most versions before that - A quick test showed it also working under vBulletin 3.7.7!)

It's lightweight (low bandwidth) and works well on most handheld / mobile devices. Some have been know to use it on their desktops and I personally use it for Google as a way of significantly reducing the bandwidth they use.

====================
Install Instructions
====================
  • Backup
  • Download and extract ZIP file locally
  • Upload contents of forum folder to your forum root
  • Go into your AdminCP->Style Manager->Download / Upload Styles
  • In the "Import Style XML File" section browse to "lightweight-vbulletin-3.8.7-style.xml" (extracted form the zip file)
  • If you are running a version of vbulletin other than 3.8.7, select Yes in "Ignore Style Version"
  • Click the "Import" button.
  • Edit the header template and change the 2nd line to reflect the Style ID of your default style and location of your home page (forum.php or index.php) and text for the anchor (Default Style).

    Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
    Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

  • Return to vBulletin.org and click "Mark as Installed"
  • Reply to this thread leaving feedback and a rating
====================
Release History
====================
18th May 2011 - 1.0.0 Initial Release
20th May 2011 - 1.0.1 Bug Fixes and enhancements
====================
Screen Shots
====================
====================
Branding Free
====================
If you wish to remove the branding/copyright notice from the footer - send me a donation of an amount you can afford, or that you think is fair/reasonable, it's up to you how much. (can't get much fairer than that) You can do this by clicking the "Support Developer" link above (a few lines below the "Mark as Installed" link).

====================
Bugs fixes for next release
====================
Issue:
extra "> in template forumhome_forumbit_level2_nopost
Resolution:
Search for

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Replace with

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Issue:
Inconsistencies in disaplying locked forums
Resolution:
See this post

Thanks.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	9404
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	129195   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.png
Views:	9254
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	129197  

Show Your Support

  • To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Add-On Releases Mobile Phone / iPhone / PDA Detection and Style Assignment dartho vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 142 08 Nov 2015 00:16
Forum Style Lightweight Style for Small Screen Devices (cell phone, iphone, mobile, android) dartho vBulletin 4.x Styles 1131 26 May 2015 07:50
Forum Display Enhancements Mobile Phone / iPhone / PDA Detection and Style Assignment dartho vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 407 19 Mar 2015 14:53
Mobile, Cell, Phone, PDA, iPhone Style dartho vBulletin 3.7 Styles 795 16 Aug 2012 13:39

Comments
  #2  
Old 18 May 2011, 12:20
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
This is great that you have updated this for 3.8.7 and are not leaving the 3.x series behind! Downloading now!
__________________
-Joe (@BirdOPrey5)
Qapla.com - Exclusive VB Mods! | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic | My Free VB "Mods"
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18 May 2011, 13:09
viper357's Avatar
viper357 viper357 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Top class, looks very neat and smart, thanks. Just one thing I had to do different to your instructions was to have my Default Style a parent of this style to stop the random album images mod from displaying at the top. Apart from that everything else seems to be 100%
__________________
Marine Aquariums
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18 May 2011, 13:25
dartho dartho is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
This is great that you have updated this for 3.8.7 and are not leaving the 3.x series behind! Downloading now!
I still haven't upgrade to 4 yet, I think I'll stick with 3.8 for life

I just (quickly) tested this, and it also works on 3.7

@Viper - you could also write a plugin to disable that add-on if this style is used:

Title: Disable Products For Lightweight Style
Hook:style_fetch

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Edit - in the above, if it doesn't work, try the following code (one of them should work)

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.


Last edited by dartho; 18 May 2011 at 13:49.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18 May 2011, 13:43
viper357's Avatar
viper357 viper357 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Perfect, thanks Dartho. I'll give that a try.
__________________
Marine Aquariums
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18 May 2011, 14:10
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
dartho- I'm not following the logic of when a thread is highlighted in light blue in showthread and when its not. I know bold means unread but what does the highlight indicate?

Edit: Actually I'm not sure about the bold either...

Also with regards to the Default Style link, if you -or anyone interested- use this code it will keep the user on the same URL when changing back to the default style:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

__________________
-Joe (@BirdOPrey5)
Qapla.com - Exclusive VB Mods! | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic | My Free VB "Mods"
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.

Last edited by BirdOPrey5; 18 May 2011 at 14:18.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18 May 2011, 14:19
dartho dartho is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
If you link me up with an example, I could look. via PM is OK.
Worked it out. Not highlight is 'hot' new threads (thread_hot_new). I'll fix that up.

To fix, edit the CSS, search for

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

replace with

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

search for

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

replace with

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Thanks for the code for default style link, I'll put that in.

Last edited by dartho; 18 May 2011 at 22:43. Reason: Added fix
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18 May 2011, 14:48
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
Thanks.
__________________
-Joe (@BirdOPrey5)
Qapla.com - Exclusive VB Mods! | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic | My Free VB "Mods"
Note - I do not read my PMs often, do not expect quick replies.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18 May 2011, 15:11
MikesSite MikesSite is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Amazing! Can't wait to install. Thanks. Long live vB 3.X!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18 May 2011, 16:13
The Dawg The Dawg is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Good stuff. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18 May 2011, 17:45
Beretta1526 Beretta1526 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I just installed this on vB 3.8.5 a few minutes ago. I'll see if I get any feedback from my members that could be helpful. I manage the forum from mobile quite a bit, and this is great.

Originally Posted by dartho
It's lightweight (low bandwidth) and works well on most handheld / mobile devices. Some have been know to use it on their desktops and I personally use it for Google as a way of significantly reducing the bandwidth they use.
I would be interested in how to force search engines, robots, spiders, etc. to use this version. I've hacked mine so that a non-member cannot see the "style chooser" on my page, but that shouldn't matter I suppose.

THANK YOU!!!

.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18 May 2011, 18:35
Beretta1526 Beretta1526 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I would like to add options to the style in the vBulleting Options panel, similar to the "Mobile Style Options" that allow you to append all posts with either the mobile user agent (browser, etc) or custom text like (posted via mobile). In fact, this is the very same options from your original "mobile" style that I'm referring to. Should I attempt to take this on myself, or will you be adapting some of those awesome options to the "Lightweight" style?

I'm going to have to make it a point to donate for all this hard work.

Thanks again!

.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18 May 2011, 19:33
MissKalunji's Avatar
MissKalunji MissKalunji is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Real name: Mj Bain
Thank you again! I'm sticking to 3.8 as well
__________________
____________
BossLady
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18 May 2011, 20:24
benFF benFF is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Originally Posted by dartho View Post
If you link me up with an example, I could look. via PM is OK.
Worked it out. Not highlight is 'hot' new threads (thread_hot_new). I'll fix that up.

To fix, edit the CSS, search for

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

replace with

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

search for

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

replace with

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Thanks for the code for default style link, I'll put that in.
You need to add the "dot_hot_new" variants to that as well

Also the logo is never actually used...?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18 May 2011, 22:29
dartho dartho is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Originally Posted by Beretta1526 View Post
I would be interested in how to force search engines, robots, spiders, etc. to use this version. I've hacked mine so that a non-member cannot see the "style chooser" on my page, but that shouldn't matter I suppose.
.
I used the mobile detect hack and added search engine useragent snipperts to teh user defined section (Yahoo!,Baiduspider+,Googlebot,msnbot,Slurp)

Originally Posted by Beretta1526 View Post
I would like to add options to the style in the vBulleting Options panel, similar to the "Mobile Style Options" that allow you to append all posts with either the mobile user agent (browser, etc) or custom text like (posted via mobile). In fact, this is the very same options from your original "mobile" style that I'm referring to. Should I attempt to take this on myself, or will you be adapting some of those awesome options to the "Lightweight" style?

I'm going to have to make it a point to donate for all this hard work.

Thanks again!

.
I'll do something at some stage. You could try the following for appending useragents to posts: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=185987

Originally Posted by benFF View Post
You need to add the "dot_hot_new" variants to that as well

Also the logo is never actually used...?
Thanks, and yes - I should probably do a logo rather than text.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Mod Options

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 18:47.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: