PDA

View Full Version : VB5 worth it


Jncocontrol
03 Sep 2013, 05:54
Should I upgrade to VB5 yet or should I wait like 5 months?

ozzy47
03 Sep 2013, 06:13
IMO I would wait, especially if you have alot of mods on your site, or use the CMS.

cellarius
03 Sep 2013, 11:28
Wait, and take your time to make an informed decision.

TheLastSuperman
03 Sep 2013, 13:16
Setup a test site beforehand no matter if you're antsy now and decide to "just do it" or wait 5-6 months the points being;

- A test site i.e. yoururl.com/testvb/ is allowed per the license agreement, it must be .htaccess protected so it's highly advised to use this to your advantage.
- Testing on a cloned database typically shows you the same errors encountered during a live site upgrade.

Use the test site after it's upgraded to 5.x format to tweak your style, modifications etc and on that note - not all modifications will carry over to 5.x or styles for that matter so be sure to do a test site and prepare yourself and your site in advance ;).

K4GAP
03 Sep 2013, 17:41
Should I upgrade to VB5 yet or should I wait like 5 months?

After viewing the link in your sig, anything would be an improvement :0

scottct1
03 Sep 2013, 20:18
Take a look at the number of mods available for each platform.

VB 5 has just 41.
VB 4 has 1881.

That is very telling to me. The numbers don't lie.

K4GAP
03 Sep 2013, 20:35
Started not to answer this but ....

I use VB 4. I love it.
The reason I have not upgraded to VB 5 is I just don't think I would gain that much. Having said that I'm sure there are those that have upgraded and would argue my point.

I will go out on a limb and say that it is my belief from the posts both here and on other vb related sites, VB 4 is more stable (at this time).

Jncocontrol
03 Sep 2013, 22:25
ok, thanks eveyone.

digitalpoint
04 Sep 2013, 22:55
Should I upgrade to VB5 yet or should I wait like 5 months?Just ask yourself what problem(s) that you currently have that vB5 solves for you. If they are important things, do it.

EliasAlucard
02 Apr 2014, 10:32
I'd wait at the very least, 5 years before deciding to install vB5. It took me about three years until I installed vB4, and even when vB4 was released, it was far better than vB5 is now.

New Joe
02 Apr 2014, 11:12
I'd wait at the very least, 5 years before deciding to install vB5. It took me about three years until I installed vB4, and even when vB4 was released, it was far better than vB5 is now.

I agree:rolleyes:

JacquiiDesigns
02 Apr 2014, 21:15
I'd wait at the very least, 5 years before deciding to install vB5. It took me about three years until I installed vB4, and even when vB4 was released, it was far better than vB5 is now.

Ditto that.

J.

samroza
26 Apr 2014, 16:57
You should wait like 5 years. They might get out of alpha by then.