PDA

View Full Version : Merging to vb sites

CarpCharacin
15 Oct 2016, 13:38
Would it be possible to merge 2 vb 3.8 sites using Impex? If the 2 sites have the same subforums, a lot of the same users and a lot of duplicate threads, would it merge the users with the same user ID, delete the threads with the same thread ID and merge the categories wuth the same IDs?

KevinL
15 Oct 2016, 14:19
Yes, this can be done with Impex.

Make sure you make a test site first and perform the merge before doing it on live sites.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?manualversion=30809601

CarpCharacin
15 Oct 2016, 16:36
But will it merge the users and delete the duplicate threads?

KevinL
15 Oct 2016, 17:57
You would most likely have to do that yourself after the merge.

Brandon Sheley
16 Oct 2016, 03:46
Yes you can merge 2 vb 3.8 sites no problem

CarpCharacin
16 Oct 2016, 05:28
You would most likely have to do that yourself after the merge.

What if there are thousands of pages of duplicate threads? The archive site was a copy of the main online site before the main site was pruned.

CarpCharacin
21 Oct 2016, 22:41
I just need to know if it will merge the forums with the same IDs and only keep one copy of the threads with the same IDs. Will it?

Paul M
22 Oct 2016, 02:07
No, it wont.

It will merge the two databases into one new one, you will have all the forums and threads from both, the only thing it will combine is users, based on e-mail I think.

All ids will be new (threads, forums, posts, even usergroups I believe).

Its just an importer, and all you are doing is importing two databases instead of one.

CarpCharacin
23 Oct 2016, 23:49
No, it wont.

It will merge the two databases into one new one, you will have all the forums and threads from both, the only thing it will combine is users, based on e-mail I think.

All ids will be new (threads, forums, posts, even usergroups I believe).

Its just an importer, and all you are doing is importing two databases instead of one.

Then what should be done about the duplicate threads? Is there any way to retain the IDs and delete duplicates?

Paul M
24 Oct 2016, 15:30
Then what should be done about the duplicate threads?Whatever you want to do, but it wont be done by Impex.

Is there any way to retain the IDs and delete duplicates?
I dont recall if there is an option to retain them if the destination is empty. You would have to remove duplicates yourself, manually.

CarpCharacin
25 Oct 2016, 08:00
But is there any tool that would remove the thousands of duplicates?

Paul M
25 Oct 2016, 12:33
No.

CarpCharacin
25 Oct 2016, 21:04
No.

Then how would it be done?

MarkFL
25 Oct 2016, 21:06
Then how would it be done?

Manually, or coding, or having coded, a tool for your specific need. :)

KevinL
25 Oct 2016, 21:57
Would running "Delete Duplicate Threads" in maintenance work for this? The threads would be the same so it wouldn't hurt to try? You would be performing it on a test site anyhow.

Dave
26 Oct 2016, 00:54
Would running "Delete Duplicate Threads" in maintenance work for this? The threads would be the same so it wouldn't hurt to try? You would be performing it on a test site anyhow.

In vBulletin 3, the "Delete Duplicate Threads" function deletes threads that have the same title, forumid, postusername, timestamp and if the thread id in the database is higher than the existing one. Whether that will work in his situation is not something I can answer because I don't know his database contents.

Paul M
26 Oct 2016, 14:56
They wont have the same forumid.

TheLastSuperman
03 Nov 2016, 20:11
Typcially you have someone create a custom script to import in this manner, sure impex can be used but as you see from previous comments manual cleanup afterwards is still required.

Bear in mind, as Paul stated, the new combined forum will have different ID #'s for pretty much everything. If you don't merge two individual forums into an entirely new one i.e. if you merge into an existing forum, then the main (existing) forum you're merging into would retain it's forum, thread, and post id #'s but all of the same info from the other forum would be assigned new values respectively. So with that being said I would merge into the larger forum, this way the smaller forum with less content is the only one being assigned new id #'s when imported - make sense?