PDA

View Full Version : Nominations for Hacker of the Month, January 2002!

Contest Master
06 Dec 2001, 14:00
We apologize for the delay, I know we said nominations will open on the 5th but somehow things got busy and we missed it. Sorry. :)

Anyway, to the contest.
This is the time to nominate a hack of your choice. Every hacker must be seconded by at least one other person than him in order to be able to get into the contest.
On the 15th the nomination will be closed, and the staff will select the 5 hackers that are going into the contest. If you didn't get in this time, wait for next month! :)
We will select based solely on how many times the hacker was seconded. Those who were seconded the most will be selected.

Don't forget you can also nominate former-hackers!

Get started please... :D

amykhar
06 Dec 2001, 14:04
I would have to say Firefly, and I am not kissing his butt. :D

Reasons:
1) Still active.
2) Most importantly, he ACTIVELY SUPPORTS HIS CODE. He doesn't dump it and run.
3) He can turn out a working hack faster than anybody I've seen.

Amy

Chris Schreiber
06 Dec 2001, 14:25
I'll second the nomination for Firefly :)

Sinecure
06 Dec 2001, 14:33
I nominate snoopdogg, I meant tubedogg :)

LuBi
06 Dec 2001, 16:09
All of the hackers are really great releasing amazing code, but I must say Firefly.

Lesane
06 Dec 2001, 16:17
Agree with amykhar, Firefly is active and support his hacks very well.

I nominate Firefly

GameCrash
06 Dec 2001, 16:44
I nominate The-Afterburner... he is a good hacker and supports the german vB scene very well :)

FWC
06 Dec 2001, 17:34
I'll second Tubedogg and tenth Firefly. :D

Scott MacVicar
06 Dec 2001, 18:00
I'll vote for Kier :P

even though he's now a vBulletin developer

Crinos
06 Dec 2001, 19:14
I nominate wajones because of his great vBPortal hack, which is still the best VB hack IMHO :D

Dark Blaze
06 Dec 2001, 19:43
Originally posted by Lesane
Agree with amykhar, Firefly is active and support his hacks very well.

I nominate Firefly

I will also agree with amykhar and Lesane for the same reasons they have specified.

So in other words, I nominate Firefly :)

Mike Gaidin
06 Dec 2001, 21:13
Hands down I nominate FireFly.

Goldfinger
06 Dec 2001, 23:14
i nominate tubedogg i like his hacks. And he did turn that amazing stars hack. And alot of his hacks of been turned into vB features.

LuBi
06 Dec 2001, 23:26
I'd also like to nominate BANE from Talkloud.net (http://www.talkloud.net) vbstats and all his work helping others on other hacks..

MarkB
07 Dec 2001, 01:32
I second Bane, cos Firefly's got too many as it is ;)

Seriously tho, Bane does good work :)

Axel Foley
07 Dec 2001, 01:44
FireFly, Tubedogg, Bira...difficult to choose...

But I think FireFly deserves it. I vote for him. ;)

Nicholas Brown
07 Dec 2001, 03:34
Can i have two votes :confused: pleeeeeeeeeease :D

Kier and Tubedogg - my side kicks :p

Nam
07 Dec 2001, 09:16
Originally posted by Crinos
I nominate wajones because of his great vBPortal hack, which is still the best VB hack IMHO :D
But it costs money :(

tubedogg
07 Dec 2001, 10:24
The new version, v3, requires a contribution to download while it is in beta. When it is fully released it will be free, just like v2 is right now.

Chen
07 Dec 2001, 11:54
I'll nominate Bira and second Bane. :)

orca
07 Dec 2001, 11:57
Well, I must decide between tubedogg and wajones...Well, I go for wajones.

LuBi
07 Dec 2001, 12:00
Originally posted by tubedogg
The new version, v3, requires a contribution to download while it is in beta. When it is fully released it will be free, just like v2 is right now.

Which is rediculous, wajones has his titles all messed up. Paying for beta and free at release. Basically I was told your paying for support of the unreleased software not the software because again it is supposidly a contribution. V3 will be released only when V4 is in beta and he's asking money for that... I think that whole operation is rediculous. Sad thing is some sites live and die by vBP... :rolleyes:

webhost
07 Dec 2001, 16:57
Well not to many members know about this guy.

I vote for Stasik

If you only knew the hacks this guy has created.

fonzerelli_79
07 Dec 2001, 17:35
mmmm

i use vbportal myself and think that wajones is a top man - lubi, i dont think that members wanted wajones to get the award for his vbportal add on which as you mention - you have to pay for.
Lets not forget that he has released around 7 hacks.

but i would like to vote for firefly.
I have installed many hacks and ive had problems with a few.
Everyone will agree that firefly spends a lot of time with the instructions of his hacks to make it easier for all us php virgins to understand.

Also, i think that knoman should get a mention as he has provided a lot of support for his role palying type hack (the one with the colored bars - HP MP Level etc)

Bedhead
07 Dec 2001, 19:54
Afterburner has my vote.

Matt
07 Dec 2001, 21:20
I nominate PPN, he's been really helpful with making loads of custom hacks for people when they have requested them and I am very thankful for all the hacks he has made for me. He also offers support for them too :)

Sinecure
07 Dec 2001, 21:23
Originally posted by Matt
I nominate PPN, he's been really helpful with making loads of custom hacks for people when they have requested them and I am very thankful for all the hacks he has made for me. He also offers support for them too :)

I'll second PPN :D

nuno
07 Dec 2001, 21:58
bira :)

Crinos
07 Dec 2001, 22:12
Originally posted by Nam
But it costs money :( VBP 2.1 doesn't ... and it's still one of the better hacks out there, despite being older code ;)

Crinos
07 Dec 2001, 22:14
All the nominations are excellent choices... I second all of them!

*is that allowed?* :p

Crinos
07 Dec 2001, 22:18
Originally posted by LuBi
I think that whole operation is rediculous. Sad thing is some sites live and die by vBP... :rolleyes: And some sites believe it's a very good investment (even though it's just a contribution) ... I mean, if you can pay $85 or even $160 for vBulletin, then a kickass add-on like vBPortal (for $30-$35) is not gonna be much of a problem ... Add to the fact that it's gonne be free in the end, and you have that fuzzy feeling that you are helping out the programmers develop worthy code :)

Bottomline is, those who use vBPortal are happy ... The sad thing is, you will never know why :)

LuBi
08 Dec 2001, 03:10
lol I do know why, why I won't be spending that kind of money for a hack erm um sorry contribution for the developtment of a hack :rolleyes:

Crinos
08 Dec 2001, 04:58
Originally posted by LuBi
lol I do know why, why I won't be spending that kind of money for a hack erm um sorry contribution for the developtment of a hack :rolleyes: Good, that's your decision ... you're entitled to yours, as we are to ours ;)

FWC
08 Dec 2001, 05:09
I could have sworn this was the Nominations for Hacker of the Month thread. I guess I was wrong. :confused:

Hooper
08 Dec 2001, 05:53
I vote for Freddie . I have my reasons. :)

centris
08 Dec 2001, 11:04
Originally posted by tubedogg

Do you really believe that?

Nominations for Hacker of the Month, should only be for those who freely give their time and code to the community. My vote goes to Firefly.

fonzerelli_79
08 Dec 2001, 11:30
(sorry to go off topic)
LuBi

i dont look upon vbportal as a hack, i look upon it as software

do you grudge paying for vbulletin

if i spent weeks or months of my time designing a hack or piece of software then i'd think id charge for it

everybody needs to put bread on the table :D

Nam
08 Dec 2001, 11:30
It's funny when you say somebody does not derseve for a hack that require to pay to get it. You get the blaming, mocking that it's because you can not have it, so you get jealous, mad... blah blah (not obvious though).

FYI, I'm phpportals contributing member, while I agree $35 is totally worth it, I still don't think somebody get hack nomination because of vbportals since it's NOT as the same as other hacks, in term of HOW getting it.

Go back the main topic, I'd nominate PPN, since FireFly and Tubedogg are administrators in this forum, doesn't count :D.

fonzerelli_79
08 Dec 2001, 11:44
i agree (im a contributing member too)

memnbers should not vote for wajones because of vbportal as it has not been released on vbulletin.org and it is vbulletin.org hacker of the month

let us not forget though that wajones has released about 7 hacks in the forum

Chen
08 Dec 2001, 12:56
Now if we could just get back on topic, Hacker of the Month, it would be great.

It's wajones' right to charge for his software, even though he doesn't require money. You can always get the latest stable release for free.
That's it. Back on topic please. :)

Crinos
08 Dec 2001, 20:01
Hehe, hard to believe this is still a nomination thread, with most people already "voting" hehe ... oh, I third FireFly's nomination though :D

Mark Hensler
09 Dec 2001, 06:26
Originally posted by MarkB
Seriously tho, Bane does good work :) hehe, yes he does. And he's a cool guy too. ;)

TWTCommish
09 Dec 2001, 23:48
I echo any nomination of Kier...even if he is an official vBulletin Developer. I like his style. :)

Nicholas Brown
10 Dec 2001, 23:46
oi oi - dont forget kier - he has made some good hacks :D

Edit: Good Man Chris :D

Freddie Bingham
11 Dec 2001, 02:13
I nominate Ed for he gave you PMs.

Hooper
11 Dec 2001, 02:28
Originally posted by freddie
I nominate Ed for he gave you PMs.

Yes. And Freddie gave us the current version of "Who's Online" as we know it today.

Freddie has my vote hands down.

TWTCommish
11 Dec 2001, 02:28
Agreed...it's a GREAT feature. I'm all the more in awe, seeing as how I've never bothered to learn much about session management, too. Here's hoping future versions have their location on their profile screen, too...so we don't have to use a hack. :)

Hooper
11 Dec 2001, 02:48
Originally posted by TWTCommish
Agreed...it's a GREAT feature. I'm all the more in awe, seeing as how I've never bothered to learn much about session management, too. Here's hoping future versions have their location on their profile screen, too...so we don't have to use a hack. :)

Better watch out, you just might get your wish. Freddie is reading this. :D

Freddie Bingham
11 Dec 2001, 02:52
I could do that but first I have to finish this massive calendar overhaul, than put in stars, than redo the email notifications so you can store them in folders and opt to not have email sent, and so much more..I did just stick it on the todo list as it will require me to isolate the WOL code into a function that can be called from other files.

Hooper
11 Dec 2001, 03:02
Originally posted by freddie
I could do that but first I have to finish this massive calendar overhaul, than put in stars, than redo the email notifications so you can store them in folders and opt to not have email sent, and so much more..I did just stick it on the todo list as it will require me to isolate the WOL code into a function that can be called from other files.

Ya so what.... Get to work!!!!! :D

No seriously. That is a whole lot to do..... Geez.

bira
11 Dec 2001, 11:07
Having been around vB's community fairly long (vB was launched in April 2000 and I joined in the beginning of May 2000), I want to set the record straight.

The founding fathers of the hacking community were, without any doubt, Ed Sullivan and Rangersfan -- who is now known as freddie.

These two released the biggest hacks (among them the Private Messaging and the Calendar) and made a ripple effect in the vB hacking community -- they set the foundation to the place we are now all a part of.

I would also like you to remember Doron (Polls!), and Kier (vbcode buttons, enhances PMing, etc).

I think kudos should also go to tubedogg, Mas*Mind and Stallion -- who were extremely involved and productive in the community - and The Sisko (Links Directory, PM Stats).

No matter who wins this "hacker of the month' award - I congratulate him. The list is too long for me to nominate one, so I'm not nominating anyone.

In my heart, I will always be eternaly greatful to anyone whose hack enriched my own Bulletin Board. And I will be just a notch more greatful to Ed and Freddie - who really were my own personal teachers, by example and by design.

Chris Schreiber
11 Dec 2001, 11:17
Well said Bira, and I agree with you 100% :)

Logan
11 Dec 2001, 15:01
Firefly.

Evil_Incarnate
11 Dec 2001, 15:33
for me its either tubedogg or FireFly, I choose FireFly because its his hacks i'm using ATM :) maybe next month that could change...

xug
13 Dec 2001, 12:17
My vote goes to Wajones !

Because of him and others like NUTnDUN, my site does look great !

If I had a second option it would go to FireFly.

If I had a third option it would go to all others here, because this community has some great people.

Shane
14 Dec 2001, 07:21
everyone??? :)

OGieBear
14 Dec 2001, 10:12
I nominate the-Afterburner...

bye