PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin 3....

69-FLy-gUy
21 Jan 2002, 23:46
I am hearing lots of talk abou tthis.. what is it expected to be released? Just out of curiosity

Ciao

JamesUS
22 Jan 2002, 18:54
In the next few months. We can't be any more specific than that at the moment.

Snake~eyes
22 Jan 2002, 20:35
interesting.. i just hope it includes password protection

Xelation
22 Jan 2002, 22:28
password protection of what the board? You can do that now, only if you have a host that provides password protected directories. I have my forum protected only because I'm editing and hacking it.

Snake~eyes
23 Jan 2002, 01:44
no no.. Specific Forums. As opposed to acess masks

Freddie Bingham
23 Jan 2002, 17:50
It's on the todo list.

Snake~eyes
23 Jan 2002, 18:02
yeah i figured it would be.....

thx

JWB
29 Jan 2002, 03:16
what advantage would that have? acess mask allow for ultimate control.. each user group have access to whatever you wanted them to.

JamesUS
30 Jan 2002, 19:04
JWB - That's the argument we've been using since day one when people ask why we don't have password protected forums :) but everyone still wants password protected forums, so we gave in to the requests and put it on our todo list ;)

Jamer
30 Jan 2002, 19:28
Looking forward to Version 3!

johnr
30 Jan 2002, 19:30
Also PUBLICLY DISPLAYED NAMES :D

Infopop have had this feature since UBB 6, and it is a really neat feature :p

JWB
30 Jan 2002, 21:11
hmmmmm... Well I guess some people just think passwords are cool.. Looks to me like giving away one password, would leak out, everyone have acess to it; or make each user their own password (same thing as user mask) lol... Anyways The more options the better! :)

Mark Hensler
30 Jan 2002, 23:23
I think passwords is a pain.. I would ditch it.

Chen
31 Jan 2002, 09:50
Password is the biggest f---up in the history of computers...

TurboFC3S
31 Jan 2002, 15:07
I know I don't trust the access masks ... I'd never put sensitive info in a 'private' forum, because I know for a fact that it's not 100% secure. I've had members write me before saying that they can see my private forums even when I have their access turned off.

I'll take password protection please ...

Mark Hensler
31 Jan 2002, 18:39
Originally posted by TurboFC3S
I've had members write me before saying that they can see my private forums even when I have their access turned off.Then something isn't right. When used correctly, access masks will provide enough security. (I haven't looked at vB code, but I doubt that they've made an error this big)

IMO, it is a waste of time to develope passord protected forums into vB. Just patch any problems that may exist in the access masks (if there are any problems).

Psychdrone
31 Jan 2002, 23:34
well those of you who do not like, it, will not have to use it:)

Martz
01 Feb 2002, 11:40
Access masks are rock solid - if people are reading your private forums you've set the permissions up wrong. I also a gree about password protected forums, I think its a waste of time and a nightmare to maintain.

I do hope the admin control panel is overhauled for vB 3 - as its starting to get a bit strained. Needs to be more user friendly, with more "quick" options for dealing with many users, forums, or groups :)

I'm looking forward to it though! :)

Sinecure
01 Feb 2002, 13:18
vb 3 should include the navbar template to be included on everypage :) So if I change the template it does it to every page where there is a > . Thats all I ask guys!!

JWB
03 Feb 2002, 03:37
I would like to see some changes in the control panel, but I think it is very powerful compared to many other bulletin board systems...

JamesUS
03 Feb 2002, 10:57
Publicly Displayed names can be added without hacking. You need to add a custom user field and then do some clever things with the templates.

The control panel will be changed around...in fact it already has :) I'm looking at the new one now and it is really brilliant ;)

Chen
03 Feb 2002, 13:49
Yup, you'll be amazed. ;)

Radon3k
03 Feb 2002, 13:53
Access masks are fine with me, and so are password protected forums, I like those too :) But the only problem with access masks that I have is, what if you have to change several hundred of them? I guess you could just modify the user group permission settings for each forum... :)

JWB
03 Feb 2002, 16:35
How would it be easier to change several hundred passwords?

Oh, so you two get to test out v3.... Why dont you send it on over to me :) you need another beta tester!!!!

Martz
03 Feb 2002, 18:40
Originally posted by JamesUS
Publicly Displayed names can be added without hacking. You need to add a custom user field and then do some clever things with the templates.

The control panel will be changed around...in fact it already has :) I'm looking at the new one now and it is really brilliant ;)

Cool, I can't wait :)

Access masks are fine with me, and so are password protected forums, I like those too But the only problem with access masks that I have is, what if you have to change several hundred of them? I guess you could just modify the user group permission settings for each forum...

Then if you are dealing with many users you need to start using usergroups, then you can control 1 group of people rarther than each person individually.

MarkB
08 Feb 2002, 11:46
I want my... I want my... I want my Vee Bee Threeeee

*goes into Dire Straits mode*

dieKetzer
07 May 2002, 10:32
access masks suck. Too convoluted for my taste. I'd like to see usergroup/forum permissions that function like phpbb2. At the very least allow private-forum mods to grant access without requiring me to do it for them.

Erwin
13 May 2002, 04:31
On the one hand, I am looking forward to vB3, since by all accounts it's going to be a great update. On the other hand, none of the hacks installed would work on vB3, which makes me hesistant to embrace it.

But I'm sure that the day it is released, updated hacks will emerge, so there is no need to be worried... :)

scsa20
13 May 2002, 04:44
what other features that vb3 well have?? would it come with about 60% of hacks that you see on this board in it??

Chris M
13 May 2002, 20:07
There is a thread at vBulletin.com which outlines most of the vB3 content...

I think Password protected forums used with Access Masks would be good...

Allowing some users to see it, but not be able to post unless they were in that usergroup...It would also secure Admin & Mod Forums too!

vB3, according to the thread, comes with most of the hacks here already...

What I think would be a good addition is more user-friendly colours in the Admin CP...

Maybe Skins for the CP?

Satan

Chen
13 May 2002, 20:34
Originally posted by hellsatan
I think Password protected forums used with Access Masks would be good...
Hmm... :cheeky:

Chris M
13 May 2002, 20:42
Lol...

It would...Cos you could give the password to members, and also have access masks...That way, ensuring that nobody who gets into their account can access the forums without the password...

Satan

zachb
14 May 2002, 02:23
Satan, do you have a link to the thread you are talking about? I did a search and can't seem to find it. :(

Erwin
14 May 2002, 03:11
Originally posted by hellsatan
What I think would be a good addition is more user-friendly colours in the Admin CP...

Maybe Skins for the CP?

Satan

Why not make the CP use the same style as vB?

c-pr0mpt
14 May 2002, 08:09
the admin cp is css driven. To change the look just edit the cp.css file. Just as easy as templates, or even easier.

Chris M
14 May 2002, 17:44
Yeh but It takes forever...Skins would be good...

@zachb - I'll take a looksee now!

Satan

Chris M
14 May 2002, 17:52
Here you go zachb - The thread :

Already Suggested (http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=26055)

From the Title, you wouldnt think of it as about vB3, but it is...

It is not the exact contents of vB3, but it is what has been suggested, and most of it is probable I would presume...There is alot of useful stuff...

Satan

zachb
14 May 2002, 23:24
Thanks man!

Xenon
14 May 2002, 23:37
i like the cp as it is now, but everything could be better, so i can hardly wait to see the newone :)

and it would be intresting to see the first hacks here, just to see what user think you have forgotten to code ^^

Erwin
15 May 2002, 00:39
Originally posted by c-pr0mpt
the admin cp is css driven. To change the look just edit the cp.css file. Just as easy as templates, or even easier.

I know, I've modified mine to match my site. Just thought it would be intuitive for the CP to use the same style variables as the vB - this way, you get to easily choose the style of your CP like hellsatan is suggesting.

Dean C
17 May 2002, 21:48
perhaps have it like for the styles colors... so we can have a nice simple input table like there is for the colors of categorys etc so we can customize the admin cp without goin on to the server and editing the cp.css file...

i shudn't think it wud be that hard to do ...

*waits anxiously for someone to actually say a rough estimate ... perhaps a month on when vb3 might be released* hint hint ;)

and also... as soon as vb3 is finished ... will work on vb4 begin??

Chen
18 May 2002, 07:09
I don't think so, vB4 (ohh I like the sound of that! :D) is far, far away.

Neo
18 May 2002, 07:14
Damn and I was looking forward to VB6's release :(

Chen
18 May 2002, 07:18
VB6 was already released. ;)

Neo
18 May 2002, 07:22
Wow all my life dreams have come true :D

So I guess that means the "AI" will do all the work and posting for me

Xenon
18 May 2002, 11:42
yeah, look at firefly, he's just a part of code from vb6 :D

vB4me hmm, really sounds good, so release vb3 so you can start work on vb4 ^^

Neo
18 May 2002, 20:11
Really? I always though he was Freddie messing with everyone head XD

Chris M
18 May 2002, 20:36
Lol...

I heard a rumour that the French released vb9, which could target any American that calls them Frogs...

They forgot about the English though, luckily;)

Anyway...Why would you want it to post for you neo? It takes all the fun out of Spamming!:D

Satan

Neo
20 May 2002, 16:48
So true, but why not. Then I dont even have to run the forum, just sit back and get members = money :D

Erwin
21 May 2002, 02:55
As long as vB 3 comes out before Episode 3 of Star Wars... ;)

Xenon
21 May 2002, 10:19
that will be a close race ^^