PDA

View Full Version : IP Banned from server it seems......

Link14716
30 Aug 2002, 20:46
And I wanna know why damnit. I am forced onto AOL just so I can go to vbulletin.com OR vbulletin.org. What the hell did I do? Was it intentional, or was I hit with the 0.0001% chance that you blocked a range and it took me out. I asked 2 different people to go here and see if it loads, they both said it did. On this comp, I can always access it. On my new comp, I get server not ++++ing found errors. WHY!?!?!

g-force2k2
30 Aug 2002, 21:39
yo link man calm down... i don't think anything was intentional nor do i know if htey banned you... but this site does go down on my a few times... so perhaps you're over reacting? why don't you just pm an Administrator and ask them... probably easier then this... regards...

g-force2k2

futureal
30 Aug 2002, 22:14
Originally posted by Link14716
On this comp, I can always access it. On my new comp, I get server not ++++ing found errors. WHY!?!?!

Basic internet knowledge should tell you that this is an error on your ISP end, not on vBulletin's end. If you were IP banned from the site, you would get some sort of message from the site; getting a "Server not found or DNS error" means that either your ISP's DNS server is down or that there is no route from your ISP to the vBulletin sites.

Give it some time to see if it fixes itself, otherwise call your ISP and let them know you are having problems.

Link14716
30 Aug 2002, 22:20
It all worked perfectly until vyesterday, nothing important happened yesterday except this. Now I have to get on my VERY old VERY slow computer just to see if there are any hacks up. I'd be suprised if AI could actually get any. And then the fact that I canb't reach vb.com either,. so if any vb updates come out I can't get them, nor can I acess any part of their site whatsoever.......

NTLDR
30 Aug 2002, 22:29
This is a problem with the vB server I think. Yesterday vB.org was so slow, it kept on timing out and taking forever to do anything, it was also down for a short while as was vB.com

Link14716
31 Aug 2002, 00:47
No, I mean RIGHT NOW both of them time out on my good comp with cable internet, but they are perfect on this old, slow comp with AOL (about a 24k connection).

Erwin
31 Aug 2002, 01:24
Seems to be working fine for me...

Link14716
31 Aug 2002, 01:41
Yes I know that!

I mean on my good computer I always get a Can't Find Server message; on Mozilla it sayed "Connection Refused"

I just want this sorted out....... :(

Link14716
31 Aug 2002, 03:19
Proved it.

I grabbed a Proxy and I gained access to vb.org. Why was I banned? Was it an accident? Come on, any vb team member reply!

Dalius
31 Aug 2002, 03:32
*rolls eyes*

You weren't banned...jeez

Link14716
31 Aug 2002, 04:04
Wanna bet?

Without a proxy:

Link14716
31 Aug 2002, 04:06
With a Proxy:

g-force2k2
31 Aug 2002, 05:21
damn... Link you just don't give up do you? at this rate i wouldn't be surprised if they banned you... :P

Actually though they probably would have used .htaccess to ban you not ip ban... but like stated above you probably weren't banned... as i said better of pming an Administrator before you make yourself look really stupid... regards...

g-force2k2

futureal
31 Aug 2002, 06:18
Link: You obviously have very little understanding of how the internet works. I hate to be blunt, but since you completely IGNORED my first post in this thread, it seems I have to.

When your computer makes a request to a remote server, it first travels through your ISP's DNS (converting the www.vbulletin.org to an IP address, in this case 161.58.84.214) and then makes an HTTP request to the resulting IP address, which in turn responds to that request by sending some data back to your computer. (Obviously this is a very simplified description of what is going on...)

When you receive the message "Cannot find server or DNS error" it (surprise) means EXACTLY that. Your computer can't find the vb.org server. You are not banned from the server; something is preventing your computer from knowing where to look on the internet for the server in the first place. Your computer is never actually communicating with the vb.org server.

You could try bypassing your ISP's DNS server, by using this: http://161.58.84.214 (should be the vb.org front page)

As I stated in my original post, this problem is either between you and your ISP, or between your ISP and the rest of the internet -- unless FireFly has found some new and unprecedented way of banning people (heh, in which I'm waiting for the hack...)

Brad
31 Aug 2002, 06:34
Proved it.

I grabbed a Proxy and I gained access to vb.org. Why was I banned? Was it an accident? Come on, any vb team member reply!

Frist of all, this is a problem with your isp, you said yourself that your cable service was not going thru but AOL was. also, the proxy dose not prove a thing, if the isp can connect to the proxy then if the proxy can get the ifo you are ganna get it, you need to pm firefly or someone on the vB team. also you might wanna try contacting your isp.

honestly your making yourself look like a idiot. -,-

Brad
31 Aug 2002, 06:36
Originally posted by futureal
unless FireFly has found some new and unprecedented way of banning people (heh, in which I'm waiting for the hack...)

you could always do it with a simple template edit ;).

TECK
31 Aug 2002, 06:50
Wanna bet?
Without a proxy: no need to worry. you are not banned. if you are banned to vb.org, trust me you cant get in with any proxy because your ip and nick would both be "red-lined".
is a server problem, i'm sure you don't experience it anymore now. :)

TECK
31 Aug 2002, 06:54
Originally posted by Anime-loo
honestly your making yourself look like a idiot. -,- i dont see the need to talk like that with other community members. some of us dont have the knowledge others do. he basically asked a question thinking it's something related to vb.org banning.
Anime-loo, please let's quit treating people like monkeys here in our community.

thanks for understanding.

futureal
31 Aug 2002, 08:12
Originally posted by TECK
i dont see the need to talk like that with other community members. some of us dont have the knowledge others do. he basically asked a question thinking it's something related to vb.org banning.

The thing is, a few of us told him why he was getting the screen he was getting, and he didn't even bother to read/interpret.

I'm advocating name calling, though. Just presenting both sides...

Chen
31 Aug 2002, 08:24
This thread is not going anywhere. You were not banned, you are experiencing ISP problems that are out of our control.

If you have futher questions please contact me at chen.avinadav@vbulletin.com.