PDA

View Full Version : Apply flood check to guests


Paul
23 Nov 2002, 17:32
Hi,

I think this qualifies as a vBulletin bug, however since the problem has been present in versions as early as 1.1.4, I'm going to post it here as a hack. This may or may not be included in some form or another in future versions of vBulletin.

Presently, if guests/unregistered users are allowed to post on your forum, they will not be checked for flooding (should you have the flood check feature enabled on your forum). Only registered users are checked for flooding.

For a full discussion of this issue, visit this thread at vbulletin.com:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=59267

This modification requires two file edits and one SQL query. Instructions are included in the zip file.

Support will only be given within this thread--emails and private messages regarding this or any other hack will be ignored.

Regards,
Paul

mondaynightmike
23 Nov 2002, 17:52
I know a few forums i visit will love that hack :D

!!!
23 Nov 2002, 19:17
How do I enable guests and unregistered people to post? I've been wanting that, but as it's more and more apparent that I'm too lazy to search, can you give me some help on this topic?

Paul
23 Nov 2002, 19:18
Edit the permissions for the unregistered/not logged in usergroup in the Admin CP. You really should read the manual over on vbulletin.com and familiarize yourself with all of vbulletin's features.

!!!
23 Nov 2002, 19:23
Originally posted by LoveShack
Edit the permissions for the unregistered/not logged in usergroup in the Admin CP. You really should read the manual over on vbulletin.com and familiarize yourself with all of vbulletin's features.

In the admin CP? Interesting. Not sure how I missed that.
But, again, if it's not something so very importantly needed by me, then I won't go searching too far for it.
I never read manuals.

Paul
23 Nov 2002, 20:52
You're asking a question that relates to the core permissions system in vbulletin. You really should make an exception here and familiarize yourself with how permission settings in vbulletin work. It's well documented and I'm not about to rehash it here. :)

!!!
23 Nov 2002, 20:59
Originally posted by LoveShack
You're asking a question that relates to the core permissions system in vbulletin. You really should make an exception here and familiarize yourself with how permission settings in vbulletin work. It's well documented and I'm not about to rehash it here. :)

Come on. Ignore me here...you don't have to embarrass me anymore. :)

Paul
23 Nov 2002, 21:02
For those interested, I found that Overgrow had previously released a hack (here (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35618)) that tackles this issue in a different way--by limiting posts made within a certain timeframe by any unregistered user. His hack is not session specific and instead will prevent any guest from posting within xx seconds of another guest posting. His is more of a hack than a "bug fix."

The modifications I've included here are session specific and extend the floodcheck function to include unregistered users in the same way that registered users are currently checked.

Best wishes,
Paul

BlackDeath
22 Dec 2002, 11:32
i have a few people that like to run this script that registers hundreds of sessions on the forums. they aren't posting but it will show like 4,000 guests online. eventually it will crash the server. (i enabled load limiting options to prevent this) but the only way to stop it is to have it when it goes past a certain amt of sessions to deny access and that denies access to everyone.

if i'm reading this right, it won't allow multiple guests from creating new sessions from the same IP? right?

Paul
22 Dec 2002, 18:25
Originally posted by BlackDeath
i have a few people that like to run this script that registers hundreds of sessions on the forums. they aren't posting but it will show like 4,000 guests online. eventually it will crash the server. (i enabled load limiting options to prevent this) but the only way to stop it is to have it when it goes past a certain amt of sessions to deny access and that denies access to everyone.

if i'm reading this right, it won't allow multiple guests from creating new sessions from the same IP? right?

No I'm sorry. This only prevents them from posting once within a set time limit. What you're describing would require a different hack.

BlackDeath
23 Dec 2002, 11:21
Originally posted by LoveShack


No I'm sorry. This only prevents them from posting once within a set time limit. What you're describing would require a different hack.

any idea where i can get that or if it exists? i know about 8 different sites that that person is doing this too and they would be eternally grateful for some way to stop it.