PDA

View Full Version : Whats HOT!.. Whats NOT!..

snyx
19 Aug 2002, 06:20
HOT!

-Bold, non-underlined, thread titles in forumdisplay
-Online! as a special color (ie. red/yellow to stand out)
-Broken up forum catigories on forumhome

NOT!

-Heavy dark colors (ie. black bg's) with lots of white text
-Open solid color space along sides of 760x width sites (even I break this one)
-Cluttered postbits..

lol, im not some expert this is my own ideas and insights, feel free to add to ether list, correct or change anything posted. all insights are welcome :)

-Myles

Tony G
19 Aug 2002, 06:26
Well the hyper-links are indeed in at the moment. Underlined links are beginning to be a thing of the past.

Special online colors are too, makes it look very colorful. Some forums it suits but some it doesn't.

mmmender
12 Sep 2002, 02:59
can you tell me where to find the who's online mod so that i can alter my who's online box to have it show separate colours for users/admin/mods ? i saw it on here somewhere but lost it.....did a search and can't find it anywhere!

thanks in advance!

Cyburbia
12 Sep 2002, 03:16
Originally posted by snyx
NOT!
-Heavy dark colors (ie. black bg's) with lots of white text
-Open solid color space along sides of 760x width sites (even I break this one)
-Cluttered postbits..-Myles [/B]

Describes just about every gaming board out there. If I had to say "HOT" based on what I see in other vBulletin sites, and not just my personal opinion, I'd say the term includes ...

* Low contrast color schemes, especially dark backgrounds with dark colored or grey text
* Anime and gaming boards
* Palatino, used as the vBulletin default font
* RPG stat hacks (i.e. member "strength," "dexterity," etc.)
* Drop-down moderator lists
* Multiple avatars for each user (main avatar, rank avatar, signature avatar, and so on)

mashby
12 Sep 2002, 05:17
Originally posted by mmmender
can you tell me where to find the who's online mod so that i can alter my who's online box to have it show separate colours for users/admin/mods ? i saw it on here somewhere but lost it.....did a search and can't find it anywhere!

thanks in advance!

It's a hack, not a template edit. You can find it at vBulletin.org [link (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31536&highlight=whos+online+colors)]

mmmender
12 Sep 2002, 05:56
much thanks for being kind to the newbie! :D

Tony G
12 Sep 2002, 06:43
I like just having the bold and bold/italic for my WOL. Don't like too many colors. :p

mashby
13 Sep 2002, 19:11
Originally posted by mmmender
much thanks for being kind to the newbie! :D

No problem mmmender. I remember what it was like when I was one. :)

assassingod
14 Sep 2002, 00:41
HOT:
My websites colours
My website

NOT:
Anyone who doesnt like my websites colours
Anyone who doesnt like my webiste

:)

Tony G
14 Sep 2002, 01:11
I could say, your purple scheme isn't the best thing. :p

assassingod
14 Sep 2002, 07:55
Alright;) Well I am younger than most of you here, which means I dont have enough experience with makin 'sites and all:)

In my personal opionion:

NOT:
Lots of things crammed onto a small webpage:)

Tony G
14 Sep 2002, 08:35
Age don't mean a thing, I made an okay scheme the first time I tried out one. It's all about knowing what colors match and what doesn't.

assassingod
14 Sep 2002, 08:39
Of course it does. People who have coded for longer have better experience with making website's than younger people who havent coded as long as them:p

Tony G
14 Sep 2002, 11:20
And what does COLOR have to do with choosing colors?

Absolutly nothing.

Thats beside the whole point.

assassingod
14 Sep 2002, 13:52
People who coded longer have a better understanding of colour:)

Tony G
14 Sep 2002, 14:16
Ummm..

Coding has nothing to do with color picking though. I mean, I set up colors on the first time I ever saw a BB system and they weren't too bad.

assassingod
14 Sep 2002, 14:20
Heh, I cant be bothered to explain it anymore.

Tony G
14 Sep 2002, 14:21
Thats because there is nothing to explain. You don't need to code colors in so there should be no difference.

assassingod
14 Sep 2002, 14:26
I know. What I meant was people who have made lots of websites know what a good colour scheme is. Whereas me, the git, doesnt know a thing:p

Tony G
14 Sep 2002, 14:27
Well I guess, but all I can say is:

If it's not piercing to the eye, and the colors match it's good.

Just remember that. :)