PDA

View Full Version : New To Php

ALX0423
11 Sep 2002, 06:31
Hey Guys--

I'm new to php and one Q. What do i need to do to work with PHP? What type of setup do i need to have with my hosting company, and finally How can i view a PHP on my PC?

Thanx

Tony G
11 Sep 2002, 06:33
To use PHP on your server, your server must support PHP and MySQL, the database it uses. Then you'll be ready to go.

SaintDog
11 Sep 2002, 10:07
If you want to run PHP on your computer, you will need to install Apache and then PHP (as well as MySQL if you plan on using it as well); then lastly compile them to run. There are some tutorials among the web, google would be the best place to start.

If you are going with a host, most will already have PHP/MySQL installed so you would not need to worry about that at all.

Tony G
11 Sep 2002, 12:38
It's things like CGI/Perl that are becoming more rare these days because of server load and stuff. I guess PHP wins out in the end.

mashby
11 Sep 2002, 16:06
You can run PHP locally, but you'd have to have a web server setup to view it. I think you can run PHP under Windows, but I wouldn't recommend it. SaintDog's recommendation about installing Apache and running PHP under that would be best.

filburt1
11 Sep 2002, 18:59
Originally posted by SaintDog
If you want to run PHP on your computer, you will need to install Apache and then PHP (as well as MySQL if you plan on using it as well); then lastly compile them to run. There are some tutorials among the web, google would be the best place to start.

Mine: http://www.liquid2k.com/filburt1/part1.html :)

Tony G
12 Sep 2002, 06:39
You did one? Nice work. :)