vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=241278

Dumb question, becoming a "coder"?
by CaseLogic
26 Apr 2010 02:34

What does it take to get the "coder" user title?

Speysider 26 Apr 2010 08:05

By releasing modifications to vBulletin in the Mod section. Major addition hacks usually give you coder immediately, while others release small amounts of small template changes/hacks to get coder.

vijayninel 26 Apr 2010 11:09

^^ How come you and I are only "contributors" ? When do we graduate from contributors to coders/designers ?

Speysider 26 Apr 2010 12:55

You have to release a lot of small hacks or one major addition.

CaseLogic 26 Apr 2010 13:22

what if I do freelance work for people in the request sections? that doesn't qualify me for anything? :(

Speysider 26 Apr 2010 14:23

Nope. You must release your own custom coded hacks in the modification section.

King Kovifor 27 Apr 2010 02:28

The titles are based on a release level system. Each release you make counts towards your release level, thus, giving you a title.

ChopSuey 27 Apr 2010 08:10

If you release a 100 different mods, for one version, you'll become a moderator like King Kovifor


im only kidding.

JacquiiDesigns 27 Apr 2010 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopSuey (Post 2028003)
If you release a 100 different mods, for one version, you'll become a moderator like King Kovifor

LOL

Paul M 27 Apr 2010 17:03

Ive heard that if you release 101, you get a free Dalmation .....

GonE 28 Apr 2010 12:58

Quote:

Ive heard that if you release 101, you get a free Dalmation .....
Really? I heard it was a free bottle of wine? meh, people need to make their minds up lol

(Of course, only kidding)

King Kovifor 29 Apr 2010 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopSuey (Post 2028003)
If you release a 100 different mods, for one version, you'll become a moderator like King Kovifor


im only kidding.

Haha! I actually got a good laugh out of that one! I don't have that many...

ChopSuey 29 Apr 2010 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 2028174)
Ive heard that if you release 101, you get a free Dalmation .....

I heard that too, you even get Cruella devil (or whoever) to post 101 posts on your own forum too! :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by King Kovifor (Post 2028823)
Haha! I actually got a good laugh out of that one! I don't have that many...

i was super bored and didn't know what to put so i thought of that :)

borbole 06 May 2010 16:55

A bit off topic, and I applogize for that, but this whole Coder, Designer, Coder/Designer ranks have suprised me a bit. I mean I have seen some members holding one of those ranks that have asked some questions that no Coder and/or Designer should ask. So that makes me wonder how deserving that thing is. (holding the rank I mean). I really hope no one will hold a grudge at me about what I said above, but it is something that I have noticed, that is all, nothing personal to no-one :)



Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 2028174)
Ive heard that if you release 101, you get a free Dalmation .....

Lol Paul :D

Ryan Ashbrook 06 May 2010 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by borbole (Post 2032653)
A bit off topic, and I applogize for that, but this whole Coder, Designer, Coder/Designer ranks have suprised me a bit. I mean I have seen some members holding one of those ranks that have asked some questions that no Coder and/or Designer should ask. So that makes me wonder how deserving that thing is. (holding the rank I mean). I really hope no one will hold a grudge at me about what I said above, but it is something that I have noticed, that is all, nothing personal to no-one :)

Even the most advanced coders have questions that they would need to ask. Not a single person can claim they know absolutely everything about PHP (aside from, maybe, the PHP Devs themselves).

That's why we are a community. We help those who need it, and get helped when we need it. :)

vbenhancer 07 May 2010 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ashbrook (Post 2032828)
Even the most advanced coders have questions that they would need to ask. Not a single person can claim they know absolutely everything about PHP (aside from, maybe, the PHP Devs themselves).

hey, stop that... i'm not just "most"... rofl

and i never asked a single question about PHP


... oh, i mean... hum... maybe just at php.net!

Naan-Kadavul 07 May 2010 10:09

You have to make more modifications more likely to be unique mods
And you will earn the usertitle as Coder.

Source >>> my own :P

borbole 07 May 2010 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ashbrook (Post 2032828)
Even the most advanced coders have questions that they would need to ask. Not a single person can claim they know absolutely everything about PHP (aside from, maybe, the PHP Devs themselves).

That's why we are a community. We help those who need it, and get helped when we need it. :)


I think you misunderstood my post. Of course that even the most advanced coders ask questions as the knowledge is endless and we all learn and pick up new things every day. That was not what I meant at my post. What I meant is that I have seen here some persons that have the Coder, Designer, Coder/Designer ranks asking some questions that are below the basics and no coder or designer should have asked them. That is all :)

vbenhancer 07 May 2010 12:22

@borbole... do not judge, that's all...

even the worst coder can release something useful...

borbole 07 May 2010 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbenhancer (Post 2033072)
@borbole... do not judge, that's all...

even the worst coder can release something useful...

I am not judging at all. It is not in my nature to judge. And I am not talking about mod releases but about questions asked. Also I am not saying anything about bad or good coders. Is my english that bad that you guys don't understand what I mean?

Please read my posts carefully before jumping to the wrong conclusions :)

vbenhancer 07 May 2010 13:07

already spent too much time in your posts...

borbole 07 May 2010 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbenhancer (Post 2033085)
already spent too much time in your posts...

Why don''t you go and spam your time somewhere else then.

Ryan Ashbrook 07 May 2010 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by borbole (Post 2033035)
I think you misunderstood my post. Of course that even the most advanced coders ask questions as the knowledge is endless and we all learn and pick up new things every day. That was not what I meant at my post. What I meant is that I have seen here some persons that have the Coder, Designer, Coder/Designer ranks asking some questions that are below the basics and no coder or designer should have asked them. That is all :)

I understood what you meant, and I have to politely disagree with the sentiment.

I released mods here back in the vB 2.x days that were so simple I could rewrite them more efficiently now blindfolded and with one hand. Up until they changed it, I held Coder/Designer status for years. My point is, everyone has to start somewhere and we shouldn't discriminate the status because someone released something that isn't up to a certain Level.

Paul M 07 May 2010 17:53

Release level is not an indicator of skill level.

vbenhancer 07 May 2010 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 2033245)
Release level is not an indicator of skill level.

no, because everybody would ask why you are level 9, isn't it Paul ?!

rofl...

i mean i have a level 6 just 3 days after releasing my bunch of small products, imagine how much work is to have a descent level... rofl

Paul M 07 May 2010 18:07

Ha ha ha, im just dying with laughter. :erm:

TheLastSuperman 07 May 2010 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 2028174)
Ive heard that if you release 101, you get a free Dalmation .....

Ok, I'm going to pickup my daughter from school and when she sees this I'm in trouble... need to get to work on this now... darn you, infamous Dr. Pepper Addict.....

And btw nice new avatar Jacquii, too cute imo ;).

ericgtr 07 May 2010 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbenhancer (Post 2033249)
no, because everybody would ask why you are level 9, isn't it Paul ?!

rofl...

i mean i have a level 6 just 3 days after releasing my bunch of small products, imagine how much work is to have a descent level... rofl

Good luck getting away from level 6 I have Total Releases: 28, Total Installs: 2689 and haven't budged from there for what seems like a few hudred installs and several releases.

Paul M 07 May 2010 18:21

Each level is exactly twice as hard to achieve as the previous level.

ericgtr 07 May 2010 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 2033267)
Each level is exactly twice as hard to achieve as the previous level.

It feels like it :p

Ryan Ashbrook 07 May 2010 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 2033267)
Each level is exactly twice as hard to achieve as the previous level.

I wanna know the mysterious equation that goes into the Release Levels. <_<

vbenhancer 07 May 2010 19:01

we're playing D&D here Ryan, come on, it's quick and dirty as it is supposed to be... lol

ericgtr 07 May 2010 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ashbrook (Post 2033274)
I wanna know the mysterious equation that goes into the Release Levels. <_<

They won't share it but it's hard to blame them for that, IMO it would take from the quality of mods if people were trying to reach a level rather than providing a service.

Paul M 07 May 2010 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ashbrook (Post 2033274)
I wanna know the mysterious equation that goes into the Release Levels. <_<

But if I told you, it would no longer be mysterious :D

borbole 07 May 2010 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 2033245)
Release level is not an indicator of skill level.

I agree 100% with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ashbrook (Post 2033163)
I understood what you meant, and I have to politely disagree with the sentiment.

I released mods here back in the vB 2.x days that were so simple I could rewrite them more efficiently now blindfolded and with one hand. Up until they changed it, I held Coder/Designer status for years. My point is, everyone has to start somewhere and we shouldn't discriminate the status because someone released something that isn't up to a certain Level.

I am new to vbulletin. I am using it for a little over 3 months now. So when I saw the ranks here I assumed automatically that that person was a coder, a designer and/or both. However later on I saw some of those users asking some very basic questions on how to do a certain thing that no coder should ever ask. I am not talking about mod releases, but questions asked at the forum about the simplests of things. Hence my wondering&confusion as to why someone that holds the coder title should ask something as simple as that even a newbe wouldn''t have asked. But now I have got it.

One more thing I want to clear up. I was not judging anyone nor it was personal. Simply curiousity.

And as to that part about learning and asking questions there is totally nothing wrong with it. Everyone learns new things every day. Personally, I have learnt a lot here just by studing the work of Paul M, Princeton, Marco, Lynne etc. And I am still learning btw as knowledge does not have an end or limits :)

ericgtr 07 May 2010 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by borbole (Post 2033340)
I agree 100% with this.



I am new to vbulletin. I am using it for a little over 3 months now. So when I saw the ranks here I assumed automatically that that person was a coder, a designer and/or both. However later on I saw some of those users asking some very basic questions on how to do a certain thing that no coder should ever ask. I am not talking about mod releases, but questions asked at the forum about the simplests of things. Hence my wondering&confusion as to why someone that holds the coder title should ask something as simple as that even a newbe wouldn''t have asked. But now I have got it.

One more thing I want to clear up. I was not judging anyone nor it was personal. Simply curiousity.

And as to that part about learning and asking questions there is totally nothing wrong with it. Everyone learns new things every day. Personally, I have learnt a lot here just by studing the work of Paul M, Princeton, Marco, Lynne etc. And I am still learning btw as knowledge does not have an end or limits :)

I never hesitate to ask, even simple questions if necessary and I believe everyone should be encouraged to do so. VB is always moving from one version to the next with completely new functions, etc. You can either dig around for hours or simply ask. New or old, we should be welcoming questions regardless of skill level. That's why there are so many forums here.

borbole 07 May 2010 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericgtr (Post 2033356)
I never hesitate to ask, even simple questions if necessary and I believe everyone should be encouraged to do so. VB is always moving from one version to the next with completely new functions, etc. You can either dig around for hours or simply ask. New or old, we should be welcoming questions regardless of skill level. That's why there are so many forums here.


Personally, until now I have never needed help with anything and that is why I have never asked a single support question. I have also no problem with the questions being asked, regardless of their level. I like to help out whenever I can. If you checked my post history, here and/or at vb.com you will see what I mean.

But what I don''t understand is that my posts here (at this thread) are being totally misunderstood and/or misnterpreted completly for something else which I never said or meant. It seems to me that I am speaking in chinese over here :D No matter what I say, someone will jump in and say something completly out of context. Ah, forget about it. It ain''t worth arguing and get worked up over something like this.

ericgtr 07 May 2010 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by borbole (Post 2033359)
Personally, until now I have never needed help with anything and that is why I have never asked a single support question. I have also no problem with the questions being asked, regardless of their level. I like to help out whenever I can. If you checked my post history, here and/or at vb.com you will see what I mean.

But what I don''t understand is that my posts here (at this thread) are being totally misunderstood and/or misnterpreted completly for something else which I never said or meant. It seems to me that I am speaking in chinese over here :D No matter what I say, someone will jump in and say something completly out of context. Ah, forget about it. It ain''t worth arguing and get worked up over something like this.

Well I am a big supporter of asking for help when needed and providing help if able to. More to your point though, about the person who has created a mod and gained status because of it, that person is simply labeled by an arbitrary system that's pretty flawed anyway. So while your point is taken, users shouldn't be mocked for gaining status and then asking for assistance, even on simple things.

borbole 07 May 2010 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericgtr (Post 2033368)
Well I am a big supporter of asking for help when needed and providing help if able to. More to your point though, about the person who has created a mod and gained status because of it, that person is simply labeled by an arbitrary system that's pretty flawed anyway. So while your point is taken, users shouldn't be mocked for gaining status and then asking for assistance, even on simple things.

You see, right there. Show me where did I at any point mock any user here? Unfreakingbelievable. All I ever said was that I was very surprised to see some people holding the coder or designer rank to ask some less than basic knowledge about coding and designing. Oh boy, talk about blowing things way out of proportion. Can you believe these guys?

vbenhancer 07 May 2010 21:48

hum, actually, borbole, you're the only one to freak this out really... others are debating some other point of view... you don't like points of view? stop posting.

borbole 07 May 2010 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbenhancer (Post 2033394)
hum, actually, borbole, you're the only one to freak this out really... others are debating some other point of view... you don't like points of view? stop posting.

I am not freaking out pal nor do I have a problem with other point of views. I simply don''t like it when other people try to misinterpret my words and place them out of context. But I am really done with this topic.

ericgtr 07 May 2010 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by vijayninel (Post 2027506)
^^ How come you and I are only "contributors" ? When do we graduate from contributors to coders/designers ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speysider (Post 2027557)
You have to release a lot of small hacks or one major addition.

This is an excellent question. Contributors appears to be yet another "release" level, based solely on a system function that calculates a number based on a post in a specific forum. There are also many people both here and at .com who answer questions for people of all levels with no status at all and IMO these folks really deserve credit too.

At one of my sites I set a group up with a little image that said "Contributor" and the staff and I would manually tick a box when we saw people answering questions and helping out. It boosted both morale and posting and was all done by human beings.

Videx 08 May 2010 02:40

I too have seen noobs with 'coder' status. Hard to imagine how they got that way. But I too don't really care, since members are paid just as much as coders here. It's not a 'rank', it's a cute title.

Marco van Herwaarden 08 May 2010 10:15

I do understand your question borbole, and i also sometimes scratch my head over the level of questions asked by people who already did release some work.

But not everything in life can be explained. Sometimes you must just accept things and move on.

Ryan Ashbrook 08 May 2010 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 2033328)
But if I told you, it would no longer be mysterious :D

Well, if you told me it would still be mysterious to the other thousands of people. :D

vbenhancer 08 May 2010 21:01

selfish Ryan, keeping important information to yourself...

tssssss

looks like i'll keep my icecream for myself

Zachariah 08 May 2010 23:46

You know it does sound like an RPG game.

My two handed weapon does 1d100 damage with 3d4 + modifier with a 40% change to hit
- minus 10% chance to hit if its raining
+ 15% chance to hit when drunk

mikey1991 09 May 2010 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco van Herwaarden (Post 2033633)
I do understand your question borbole, and i also sometimes scratch my head over the level of questions asked by people who already did release some work.

But not everything in life can be explained. Sometimes you must just accept things and move on.

If we had rep, I would rep you ;)

Boofo 09 May 2010 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by borbole (Post 2033340)
I am not talking about mod releases, but questions asked at the forum about the simplests of things. Hence my wondering&confusion as to why someone that holds the coder title should ask something as simple as that even a newbe wouldn''t have asked.

They all felt sorry for me at the time. :(

ChopSuey 10 May 2010 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boofo (Post 2034290)
They all felt sorry for me at the time. :(

We all feel sorry for the new people hehe. :D

Boofo 10 May 2010 05:24

New? I've been around long enough to make quite a few enemies. ;)

ChopSuey 10 May 2010 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boofo (Post 2034376)
New? I've been around long enough to make quite a few enemies. ;)

Hope im not one of them, i mean for the new people to vBulletin and coming here asking questions and what not.

Boofo 10 May 2010 10:59

Give me time, I'm sure you will despise me like the rest of them. I tend to have that affect on people AND animals. ;)

also a dumb question
by asus78
05 Aug 2010 02:43

Where do i find out about the mods vbulletin is using?

I want to have a similar submission page for each usergroups with ratings and suggestions for art of the month.

Does anybody know how to implement that?


thx

Marco van Herwaarden 05 Aug 2010 04:08

Most modifications vBulletin.org uses are not released. There are some similar released however, please see the modification section.

PS This question has been asked and answered many times.

lagkdok 02 Sep 2010 13:07

that's helpful , thanks
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/external/2010/09/7.gif


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2021, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.