vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145781

Michael Morris 04 May 2007 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by pxd (Post 1241178)
Thanks for the update, Michael!

No matter what I try however, still getting this error, even with the 0.1 beta :(
Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Any setting that I'm missing, really? I am not using any mods, standard joomla and standard vb files, uploading vjoomla product and overwriting the joomla files, copying images cpstyles and clientscripts to joomla root, yet nothing. Any other setting inside vB admin?

Really want to be able to use this hack, eh...

PM me your absolute forum path on the server side - I have a few error reports and need to figure out which one is yours

RedefiningFate 04 May 2007 23:24

Getting the following errors:

Running MySQL version: 4.0.27
Running PHP version: 4.4.4

Warning: main(/homepages/6/d94334881/htdocs/administrator/includes/compat.php50x.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/6/d94334881/htdocs/administrator/includes/joomla.php on line 60

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/homepages/6/d94334881/htdocs/administrator/includes/compat.php50x.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /homepages/6/d94334881/htdocs/administrator/includes/joomla.php on line 60


Not sure exactly what is going on, appreciate the help though.

J.T.

Mr_Bob 05 May 2007 00:57

Great job :). Although I will not be using the modification as I no longer use Joomla instead using a commercial CMS, I must say this is a very large contribution to both communities. The reason why I no longer use Joomla is do to the fact that no coder could ever sustain some form of true integration, and the bbpixel module would destroy the database and contained illegal Vbulletin files. I'm very happy to see someone finally take the initiative to integrate these two brilliant products and seem to be in it for the long run.

kudos :)

TheMusicMan 05 May 2007 09:38

Hi Michael: Database Layer, Functional Layer, Presentation Layer i.e. templates, themes, styles etc.

I see you have coded vJoomla to utilise the vB template system - not the way around I would have wanted as I believe there are many more effectove CSM type styles out there for Joomla/Mambo than vB (vB is not a CMS, Jomla and Mambo are more close to it) - so for me I guess that's a shame. I would say people who would want this bridge would want it to add CMS functionality to their forum and NOT forum functionality to their CMS.

Super work though... as Mr Bob said above... kudos.

pxd 05 May 2007 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMusicMan (Post 1241778)
I would say people who would want this bridge would want it to add CMS functionality to their forum and NOT forum functionality to their CMS.

Not necessarily, John. My main goal is to add CMS functionality to the forum, yes but it is limited to sharing joomla extensions functionality on a common userbase platform. And, partly because it didn't work for me, I switched the templating thing off and now I'm able to share user authentification and keep joomla templating functionality the way it is. Afterall, I guess this is best option for me at this point.

Great job, Michael :)

TheMusicMan 05 May 2007 10:34

Sure thing pxd, I respect your requirements absolutely. If that's what you are interested in using vJoomla for, then thats brilliant and I wish you the very best of luck so doing and I would be interested in seeing what you come up with.

As with all applications and software development, it is about what works best for you after all.

On a personal level this is in fact exactly what I have done (mainly because there was no CMS module/app available that I could use effectively for my site). On a business level though, for my clients... it is a different matter alltogether. They'd would be looking to use a CMS based application on/for their site first, and then if required, add forum functionality to it - not the other way around.

Michael Morris 05 May 2007 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMusicMan (Post 1241778)
Hi Michael: Database Layer, Functional Layer, Presentation Layer i.e. templates, themes, styles etc.

I see you have coded vJoomla to utilise the vB template system - not the way around I would have wanted as I believe there are many more effectove CSM type styles out there for Joomla/Mambo than vB (vB is not a CMS, Jomla and Mambo are more close to it) - so for me I guess that's a shame. I would say people who would want this bridge would want it to add CMS functionality to their forum and NOT forum functionality to their CMS.

Super work though... as Mr Bob said above... kudos.

Until a stable release of Joomla 1.5 what you desire isn't possible. We won't have a stable release of that platform for at least another year and I need to revise vbulletin site still stuck on 3.0 NOW. I use Joomla at work and I really don't want to work any longer with the portal systems available for vbulletin. While I appreciate the hard work that has gone into them, they are ultimately insufficient for my needs.

Your defense of Joomla's "template" engine doesn't impress me. Joomla! templates SUCK. They aren't proper CSS, yet they require CSS to attempt to style them (good luck considering most Joomla components as written are table cities). They suck so bad that I use a modified version of Joomla commericially that rewrites key files to use the patTemplate engine to draw the html, instead of the asinine default Joomla! approach of putting html output into class files that are nigh unreadable (Could be worse though - could be OS Commerce). Considering they will be DEAD ANYWAY once Joomla 1.5 is released I'm not going to cry for them.

So yes, vJoomla grafts Joomla! onto vbulletin - it doesn't allow the reverse at present. I can't conceive of a reverse either - I'm never seen a pure CMS system with more than a handful of users (though I'm sure they are out there) though any vbulletin board worth it's salt has at least a couple hundred (or in my case a couple hundred thousand) user accounts to worry about if you were ever to merge them.

You also completely missed one final point. When it comes down to it - bbpixel is illegal. vJoomla is not. I put all the hacks in the Joomla code because, in the end, I will be re-releasing it under the GPL as a seperate package. The beautiful part of Open Source and the GPL license is you can do this under it. If I where to modify and distribute any part of the vbulletin code (as bbpixel does) this would be a violation of Jelsoft's commerical license.

I plan for vJoomla to be around for the next couple years as a branch off the Joomla 1.0 trunk, development of which has ceased in favor of 1.5. (So there should be a minimum of problems with 1.0 compliant components and modules). When 1.5 is released I will then develop a version for 1.5 which - if all the hype around 1.5 is true - should be possible without executing any code hacks in 1.5.

adhari_com 05 May 2007 19:17

Fully loaded, up and running on test server.
Beleieve me this is a dream come true, imagine the possibilities!

TheMusicMan 05 May 2007 19:28

Woah there.... I am not criticising you, and I haven't missed any point at all. My compliments to you for taking this project on and sticking to it, but don't come all angry at me - I have done nothing. I have never looked at bbpixel let alone used it.

I appreciate you are defending your work, which is admirable... but I am not attacking it so really there's no need.

What defense of Joomla's template engine!!?? All I said was that people want sites first, forums after that's all. Unless you are wanting to run thegreenperilfromhellclan dot com!!

Take a look at large business' www sites... CMS and quality content all over the place... forums, well... these are nowhere to be seen really are they - hence the CMS first then forums if required.

Michael Morris 05 May 2007 20:23

I'm sorry - pre morning coffee post, or something like that. Anyway, I prepare large business CMS sites for a living. One of the reasons I want to move to Joomla as a CMS for my vbulletin boards is to unify my component work load and get more reuse out of me code. Every CMS I've built for a company though has always been with a custom style designed for them by a design firm. At the end of the day I found it was easier to replace Joomla's "template" engine with patTemplate (a move Joomla itself is doing in version 1.5). Translating templates from patTemplate to vbulletin is about 2 minutes work or less / template -- in other words it's a piece of cake.

Grafting vbulletin to an existing Joomla site would be a pain since there is no user import feature at present. Most companies though don't need a forum package as full featured as vbulletin so Simpleboard or Fireboard for Joomla will probably serve them well enough.

Again, this is primarily meant as "joomla as an addon for vbulletin" rather than the other way around. I could write it the other way, but I believe that waiting for 1.5 for such a product release is probably more realistic.

Cheertobi 05 May 2007 20:27

Will it, later on, be possible to have joomla into i a subdirectory instead of vb?

Michael Morris 05 May 2007 20:43

The installer program will make an attempt to find the forum path. It will look in same root, then ./forum, then ./forums. If it cannot find it then it will ask you to provide the absolute path to the forum library. It will then test to make sure it can parse vbulletin. If it succeeds then it will install joomla and add the forum path to the joomla configuration vars as well as copying the appropriate elements from the vb config to it's own.

So the answer is that in the final version you will be able to put the forum on any path you wish so long as PHP's open_base_dir directive doesn't block joomla from executing forum scripts.

Cheertobi 05 May 2007 20:59

Wow, that really sounds great!

Just another question, my users use a lot of special characteres in their usernames. All other bridges, that "just" sync usertables got problems with charecters like '#*~, because joomla does not support them! Will this also be a problem with vJoomla?

Regards,

Tobi

Michael Morris 05 May 2007 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheertobi (Post 1242001)
Wow, that really sounds great!

Just another question, my users use a lot of special characteres in their usernames. All other bridges, that "just" sync usertables got problems with charecters like '#*~, because joomla does not support them! Will this also be a problem with vJoomla?

Regards,

Tobi

vJoomla allows vbulletin to handle all aspects of user management - it doesn't manage users itself so this shouldn't be a problem.

TheMusicMan 05 May 2007 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Morris (Post 1241989)
I'm sorry - pre morning coffee post, or something like that. Anyway, I prepare large business CMS sites for a living. One of the reasons I want to move to Joomla as a CMS for my vbulletin boards is to unify my component work load and get more reuse out of me code. Every CMS I've built for a company though has always been with a custom style designed for them by a design firm. At the end of the day I found it was easier to replace Joomla's "template" engine with patTemplate (a move Joomla itself is doing in version 1.5). Translating templates from patTemplate to vbulletin is about 2 minutes work or less / template -- in other words it's a piece of cake.

Grafting vbulletin to an existing Joomla site would be a pain since there is no user import feature at present. Most companies though don't need a forum package as full featured as vbulletin so Simpleboard or Fireboard for Joomla will probably serve them well enough.

Again, this is primarily meant as "joomla as an addon for vbulletin" rather than the other way around. I could write it the other way, but I believe that waiting for 1.5 for such a product release is probably more realistic.

No probs Michael... none at all mate.

I admire what you are doing here, and I may very well use it at some point. Appreciate the response.

This is sure going to be of significant benefit to the vB community. Keep up the great work.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2021, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.