vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=275641

karlm 25 Dec 2011 10:29

Does this mod not counter google's terms? I understand google has it that sites which use techniques to 'hide' content are punished - and as this is 'hiding' content, these sites using it will be thusly punished.

Or, is there something I've missed?

Dave Hybrid 26 Dec 2011 00:48

Googles terms? What terms?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjRGkc__FwQ

Here is a Google made video promoting the noindex tag to 'hide' any content you feel shouldnt be in Googles index.

I'm not sure you really understand. It's standard webmaster practice, nothing shady...

kingMOB 28 Dec 2011 21:16

How about an option to include manually threads in a list so they'll not be indexed?

cykelmyggen 29 Dec 2011 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlm (Post 2280842)
Does this mod not counter google's terms? I understand google has it that sites which use techniques to 'hide' content are punished - and as this is 'hiding' content, these sites using it will be thusly punished.

Or, is there something I've missed?

Maybe you're thinking of the cloaking technique?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloaking

cosy 01 Jan 2012 21:30

imo this option should be included by default

also if this can be compatible w/ vaultwiki will be awesome

tpearl5 01 Jan 2012 23:37

Interesting Dave.

A couple things that immediately come to mind:
- a feature that takes the thread out of the vbseo sitemap based on criteria
- a way to exclude threads by word count, reply count, or age (days old). For example, mark threads noindex that have < 50 words, < 1 reply, and > 356 days old.

Dave Hybrid 02 Jan 2012 16:14

thanks tpearl, some good points you make.

re the sitemap, i believe they should be left in.

noindex,follow = crawl the page, follow and count links, but dont index.

any links prop up other pages onsite, internal links etc.

so you still want them crawled, as you would category pagination, you just dont want these pages to be found in the serps or counted re; Panda ratios.

cheers!
Dave.

Dave Hybrid 02 Jan 2012 16:17

One other thing... what MOD is that you run that adds the 3 boxes to the treads, ie ask question / answer question / same problem ?

Thanks.

tpearl5 02 Jan 2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hybrid (Post 2283057)
thanks tpearl, some good points you make.

re the sitemap, i believe they should be left in.

noindex,follow = crawl the page, follow and count links, but dont index.

any links prop up other pages onsite, internal links etc.

so you still want them crawled, as you would category pagination, you just dont want these pages to be found in the serps or counted re; Panda ratios.

cheers!
Dave.

That's a good point too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hybrid (Post 2283058)
One other thing... what MOD is that you run that adds the 3 boxes to the treads, ie ask question / answer question / same problem ?

Thanks.

It's custom, but is just done with conditionals based on the prefix of the thread (how-to's do not get the 3 boxes)

There's a lot of custom coding behind the system that allows guests to actually reply or create a new thread and only post their reply after they register though.

universosymbian 03 Jan 2012 12:54

traffic if I can I will put default recovering 500 words?

thanks

Dave Hybrid 03 Jan 2012 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by universosymbian (Post 2283358)
traffic if I can I will put default recovering 500 words?

thanks

Can you explain, that doesnt make much sense.

Gn_Snake 03 Jan 2012 15:00

It's compatible with VBSEO?

universosymbian 03 Jan 2012 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hybrid (Post 2283369)
Can you explain, that doesnt make much sense.

What word count setting do I use?

This depends on the forum. For example I have a 20k thread forum, that had lost 80% of it's traffic overnight, since june. I started at 50 words, then 100, now upto 200 to start seeing a recovery. So i hide all threads with 200 words or less from Google. All this means is by setting this at 200 i hide enough content to swing the balance, ie; the bad now doesn't outweigh the good.


As is the maximum recommended?

My traffic is up! default and now I have it in 150 words, I do well?

Dave Hybrid 03 Jan 2012 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by universosymbian (Post 2283403)
What word count setting do I use?

This depends on the forum. For example I have a 20k thread forum, that had lost 80% of it's traffic overnight, since june. I started at 50 words, then 100, now upto 200 to start seeing a recovery. So i hide all threads with 200 words or less from Google. All this means is by setting this at 200 i hide enough content to swing the balance, ie; the bad now doesn't outweigh the good.


As is the maximum recommended?

My traffic is up! default and now I have it in 150 words, I do well?


I dont support this if you remove attribution, sorry.

Dave Hybrid 03 Jan 2012 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gn_Snake (Post 2283399)
It's compatible with VBSEO?

100%


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2021, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.