vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=326040

Moving to vBulletin Cloud, Version 4.2.3 to vB5
by JimtRc
30 Jan 2018 19:29

How smooth will this transition be?

Is version 5 working well now, or can we go to 4?

Stingray27 30 Jan 2018 22:32

What do you mean by "go to 4" - sounds like you are already on vB4.

Why do you want to move to vB5 ?

JimtRc 31 Jan 2018 02:51

Sry, I meant can we stay with version 4 and move to the cloud without upgrading to 5? Or is 5 ready now?

Dave 31 Jan 2018 11:59

vBulletin 5 has always been ready. If you mean if it's more stable than when they initially released it then yes, far more stable.
However, keep in mind that not all your users may like the transition to a different forum software version that will not be the same as what they're used to.

Mark.B 31 Jan 2018 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimtRc (Post 2592528)
Sry, I meant can we stay with version 4 and move to the cloud without upgrading to 5? Or is 5 ready now?

The Cloud platform only offers vBulletin 5. It is not possible to have vBulletin 4 on Cloud.

romaine 02 Feb 2018 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimtRc (Post 2592510)
How smooth will this transition be?

Is version 5 working well now, or can we go to 4?

As my experience then vb4 is lighter than vb5 thus it will load faster than vb5. Also, vb4 has many mods or addons while vb5 mods are very less. You can go with vb4 if you like speed but if you live responsive design, vb5 is a better version.

Dave 02 Feb 2018 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by romaine (Post 2592619)
As my experience then vb4 is lighter than vb5 thus it will load faster than vb5. Also, vb4 has many mods or addons while vb5 mods are very less. You can go with vb4 if you like speed but if you live responsive design, vb5 is a better version.

vBulletin 5 loads pretty fast on PHP 7.1 too.

loua_oz 13 Jul 2020 13:19

Before i go to Sales, I am on vB 4.3.2 patch 2.

I am contemplating moving to vB 5.5. I don't mind paying again.

That move would need some, if not considerable effort.

For here: technically, could my forum be migrated into vB 5.5 by myself?

If not, what is that going to cost (please no answers as "it depends") a small forum, vanilla, no plugins.

mdawg 14 Jul 2020 01:33

Upgrading to vb5 is not difficult. Just, some servers will not run vb5 as well as vb4 at least that has been my experience. You might need a more powerful server to handle it. Then again, you might not depending on your forum traffic.

If you have no add ons you might want to consider their cloud. I run my vb5 forums with add ons so vbCloud is not really an option for me.


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:07.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2020, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.