vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83486

tamarian 26 Jun 2005 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
I have no idea what a sym link is.

ln -fs /home/example/mail/example.com/subscription_bounces/inbox /path/to/admincp/subscriber_notify

Now you should be able to use /path/to/admincp/subscriber_notify as the file location (also make it chmod 666

Quote:

PHP Mail, I have not downloaded it since the beginning of the week. However, I got round the problem with a couple of extra lines in the plugin. No file edit needed.
It's not in the zip file. There are file edits in class_mail.php ( vBouncer is no longer a plugin) due to code needed for the header re-writes.

ImportPassion 26 Jun 2005 21:37

sym link no work either.

also, I added a clearstatscache() before the diagnostics happen

Quote:

You should also note that PHP doesn't cache information about non-existent files. So, if you call file_exists() on a file that doesn't exist, it will return FALSE until you create the file. If you create the file, it will return TRUE even if you then delete the file.
can you post the cron job you have that copies the file etc?

buro9 26 Jun 2005 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
2. The problem I haven't got round yet is that something (probably exim) appears to be rewriting the Return-Path to "[email protected]<server-domain>" before sending the mails. I'm not sure how to stop this yet, but there must be a way because our live server doesn't do it.

Use the -f flag within PHP mail function to declare the sender address.

tamarian 26 Jun 2005 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7thgenCivic.Com
sym link no work either.

What didn't work? The diagnostic, or the log collection cron task? Was the link and the target both 666?

tamarian 26 Jun 2005 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by buro9
Use the -f flag within PHP mail function to declare the sender address.

The "-f " is added by the code edit, so it's on regardless of the vB settings :)

Paul M 26 Jun 2005 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamarian
Now you should be able to use /path/to/admincp/subscriber_notify as the file location (also make it chmod 666)

Nope - the shortcut is created correctly, but it doesn't bypass the security, php still cannot read it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamarian
It's not in the zip file. There are file edits in class_mail.php ( vBouncer is no longer a plugin) due to code needed for the header re-writes.

So I see, but as I said - I got round it by changing the plugin to this ;


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

The pregreplace is not actually required by myself, but I left it in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7thgenCivic.Com
can you post the cron job you have that copies the file etc?

Sure;


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

zmail is a folder I created just for this system. I put the above in a file which is run via cron once a day.

:)

Paul M 26 Jun 2005 22:10

My next problem is that it's failed to detect the bounced e-mail message.

tamarian 26 Jun 2005 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
My next problem is that it's failed to detect the bounced e-mail message.

Was there any bounced emails in the file? Check the scheduled tasks log to see the output summary. Once you have bounced emails in the box, save me a copy and send it, so I can check the headers. :)

As to why the symlink doesn't work, I'm not sure, as I don't use cpanel. Check the apache error log, there might be some clues.

tamarian 26 Jun 2005 22:27

Paul, buro9 and 7thgen:

Are you guys on similar setups? CPanel+Exim?

If so, there might be an alternative solution. Exim allows forwarding through .forward file and can use pipe the emails to the shell. So if the symlink for some reason doesn't work, you might be able to capture the emails to an alternative file within your public_html space.

Paul M 26 Jun 2005 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamarian
If so, there might be an alternative solution. Exim allows forwarding through .forward file and can use pipe the emails to the shell. So if the symlink for some reason doesn't work, you might be able to capture the emails to an alternative file within your public_html space.

Well that's basically what I'm doing anyway by moving the spool once per day. I'm quite happy to process the rejects daily. That bit works now.

To answer your other question - yes, the file had exactly one rejected e-mail in it that i did as a test.

The reject headers are ;


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

(Some addresses changed obviously)

buro9 26 Jun 2005 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamarian
Paul, buro9 and 7thgen:

Are you guys on similar setups? CPanel+Exim?

If so, there might be an alternative solution. Exim allows forwarding through .forward file and can use pipe the emails to the shell. So if the symlink for some reason doesn't work, you might be able to capture the emails to an alternative file within your public_html space.

Yeah, Cpanel + Exim here :)

tamarian 26 Jun 2005 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
The reject headers are ;

Paul, I'd like you to do a little test for me. Send several test emails from the vB diagnostics in the admin panel. Send them to bogus83y4ds (something not likely to be a real email) @ aol, comcast and hotmail, and show me the full content of the bounce file afterward, including the attachments (by PM if you prefer).

The header you showed will not be picked up by vBouncer since it's not RFC compliant, I think. Exim maybe re-writing them. If AOL, Comcast and hotmail result are in the same format, then Exim on your server might be intefering, since those ISP's do send (most of the time) RFC compliant non-delivery.

Paul M 26 Jun 2005 22:53

Sure - I'll PM you the results.

tamarian 26 Jun 2005 23:27

vBouncer 0.4 now works as a plugin, without code changes. (Thanks to Paul M)

To upgrade from 0.2 or 0.3, simply delete the old plugin and replace with the new one.

Christine 27 Jun 2005 01:37

Thanks tamarian!

I am also on cPanel/Exim. Will be upgrading my server to a new box this month, but I anticipate that will be the same as I believe this is core cPanel behaviour on mail handling -- I don't think it is an option?

I will gladly help with testing as well. Just let me know what you would like done.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2021, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.