vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72245

Group moderating in vBulletin
by Darky999
27 Nov 2004 14:10

Someone MUST have made this hack (I simply can't believe noone has!)

vBulleting is very poor for modding, you have to add each user to mod forums separately :(

This is a terrible way to run large sites, IPB kills vBulletin in this area :( as you can define the modding areas for usergroups and just add the user into that usergroups :)

Is there a hack for this, eg so you add a user to the 'discussion moderator' usergroup and they can automatically mod the correct forums :)

Regards

Chris Dark

sabret00the 27 Nov 2004 15:10

i agree this should exist but it don't for some unknown reason :(

Mephisteus 27 Nov 2004 15:22

I sooooo hope 3.1 will feature this, and it most likely will :)

turkeyslapper 27 Nov 2004 22:14

Yeah, this is a big problem on my site as well.

Zachery 27 Nov 2004 22:30

Personaly I will never be using the feature :) even if it does make it into the next version.

Koutaru 27 Nov 2004 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darky999
Someone MUST have made this hack (I simply can't believe noone has!)

vBulleting is very poor for modding, you have to add each user to mod forums separately :(

This is a terrible way to run large sites, IPB kills vBulletin in this area :( as you can define the modding areas for usergroups and just add the user into that usergroups :)

Is there a hack for this, eg so you add a user to the 'discussion moderator' usergroup and they can automatically mod the correct forums :)

Regards

Chris Dark

Me too, I really have no need for it o_O I guess I'll have to see if it really does make my life easier or not...

Darky999 27 Nov 2004 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koutaru
Me too, I really have no need for it o_O I guess I'll have to see if it really does make my life easier or not...

Consider a large gaming site:

You have a LOT of staff (50+ which I do on my site) with a reasonable staff turnover and a lot of forums (about 80), when you promote someone you need to add them INDIVIDUALLY to maybe 15 forums!

With IPB you simply promote them - job done! (into the correct usergroup obviously :P)

Regards

Chris Dark

Zachery 27 Nov 2004 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darky999
Consider a large gaming site:

You have a LOT of staff (50+ which I do on my site) with a reasonable staff turnover and a lot of forums (about 80), when you promote someone you need to add them INDIVIDUALLY to maybe 15 forums!

With IPB you simply promote them - job done! (into the correct usergroup obviously :P)

Regards

Chris Dark

I run a few really large sites, and i would never want groups to moderate areas, thats what categorys are for :)

paulyy 27 Nov 2004 23:08

Although it would be useful and I can see where you're coming from, is there a particular reason why you want certain groups to moderate certain sections, and not mods moderate the board?

Anyway, Groups & Permissions allow you to do what you want to do in effect.

Darky999 28 Nov 2004 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulyy
Although it would be useful and I can see where you're coming from, is there a particular reason why you want certain groups to moderate certain sections, and not mods moderate the board?

Anyway, Groups & Permissions allow you to do what you want to do in effect.

yes, it's called teenage power abuse! I run a few gaming sites, the lots of the mods like 'overmodding' in other words, modding for modding sake!

So, my solution was to demod the worst offenders, and then section site so they have SPECIFIC areas when they can mod :)

This made is much easier to control and administer, and stopped the 'mod abuse' over night. I did this 10 months ago on my IPB site, so when I bought vBulletin I simply ASSUMED it would have this functionality, but it doesn't :(

Enough people have posted agreeing it would be a GOOD addition, for 'non professional' sites where you reply on VOLUNTEER MODS, they need to be controled in an easier way than on professional sites (like here), where they're not gonna go about causing havoc :P. Also, we have a relatively high staff turnover (staff of 50 or so on each site), which means it's a LOT of Admin CP work to keep the moderating correct :(

Basically, it can't be hard to hack/include in the next vBulletin and it would take away the MAJOR DISADVANTAGE (for me) or vBulletin over IPB.....

Regards

Chris Dark

SaN-DeeP 29 Nov 2004 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachery
I run a few really large sites, and i would never want groups to moderate areas, thats what categorys are for :)

Totally agree, But however
When we go for a differentiation among allowing a UserGroup Category to be added as a moderator to mod specific categories only..
Admin have a liberty to specify what forums will be undertaken/moderated by this group of moderators.

Vbulletin supports adding a Super-Moderator too, but again this super-moderator has the rights to edit all the forums, this wont be suitable for all forums,
I would myself like to retrict this power.

Having a UserGroup to moderate specific forums/categories is defiently a need.
I have 5 categories - each having 5 forums in them.
I have appointed 3-5 moderators for each category, depending upon the activity there.

When some moderator leaves/joins the system. I only need to add/remove them from specific category.
Now, this is a very well supported system by Vbulletin.

but however, It would be better if (Vbulletin Users) I am able to add all the moderators to those 5 public categories, its always beneficial.

Regards,

Mephisteus 29 Nov 2004 19:12

I in fact need it for my clan forum. we exist from a platoon (that I want the platoon command to be able to moderate, including section forums which ARE NOT SUB FORUMS). And the section forum has to be moderated by section command.

And this goes on for duty offices such as recruiting, which need moderating access to both enlistment forums and recruit files. And the NCO's (which can run up real fast) need moderating access to 3 public forums, and personnel files.

Quite frankly, usergroup moderating is really important for me. If it isn't in 3.1, I will make a custom mod for it...


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2022, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.