vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

JorgeX 29 Oct 2010 19:52

Nothing, error.

GlowHost.com 29 Oct 2010 22:40

@alpha1 if you have profile spam for users who are part of the group that is pending activation (e.g. those bots that did not click the email link) then permission them with lower options in that group so that they can do basically nothing. We don't allow such things especially signatures unless they are a member of the registered user group.

That stuff is all part of vBulletin, not this mod.

@JorgeX yes I can add it if it becomes a popular request sometime in version 2.

PossumX 01 Nov 2010 21:54

Why are these errors occurring? the registrations are stopped, but I am getting these dB errors for some of them....

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.



Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

vBulletin 4.0.8, no other dB errors exist except these. Additionally, should there be an index on the glowhostspamomatic_remotecache table?, as there is none after install.

GlowHost.com 01 Nov 2010 22:11

That is an error generated by the MySQL server not the script itself. The most common reason for the MySQL server has gone away error is that the server timed out and closed the connection.

You can read more about this problem and ask your host to increase the timeout if it is set too low. There can be other reasons as well. Here is a link that explains the error.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html

As for the index, probably I will look at it a little closer later today and add it into the 2.0 version if its not there already.

PossumX 01 Nov 2010 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2116914)
That is an error generated by the MySQL server not the script itself. The most common reason for the MySQL server has gone away error is that the server timed out and closed the connection.

You can read more about this problem and ask your host to increase the timeout if it is set too low. There can be other reasons as well. Here is a link that explains the error.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html

As for the index, probably I will look at it a little closer later today and add it into the 2.0 version if its not there already.

My database is highly tuned, and there are no timeouts that occur on anything except this mod. I have a deep DBA background and have tuned as much as can be on MySQL dB. This is not a shot at you, by any means, however, I am quite sure my dB parameters are all in proper order, and considering the tables for this mod are very small, a simple insert or select should not induce the classic "MySQL has gone away errors". The question remains as to why this is only occurring against tables for this mod. None are crashed, however, I will re-analyze & check to ensure I am correct.

Thanks for your response, along with this mod, it is quite effective.

<<update>> I increased the wait timeout too see if that addresses the issue, and will refine from there if it does.

rootsxrocks 05 Nov 2010 00:11

I seem to be getting a lot of excess hits to my database from reported spammer IPs who are not logged but have a lot of page views this is causing long delays for legitimate users , will this mod address that ? As small as my forum is I hate to go to a virtual dedicated server to accommodate spammers. Or should I just blame Network solutions for their poor service since April .

GlowHost.com 05 Nov 2010 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by rootsxrocks (Post 2118090)
I seem to be getting a lot of excess hits to my database from reported spammer IPs who are not logged but have a lot of page views this is causing long delays for legitimate users , will this mod address that ? As small as my forum is I hate to go to a virtual dedicated server to accommodate spammers. Or should I just blame Network solutions for their poor service since April .

Sorry, I am not following. Can you describe in more detail what you mean about hits to your database from reported spammers? Do you mean they are being blocked but still are looking at your site which is overloading it?

Why not block the IPs using .htaccess or if NetSol is that terrible, I know of a great host...

ekool 05 Nov 2010 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2095386)
Anyone else?

Having the same issue. Actually, similar. The submit button does nothing when you click on it... doesnt appear to be "pressed" or anything.

VB 4.0.6

iwvnews 05 Nov 2010 21:14

Spam-O-Matic has caught and nailed about 50 fake spammer registration attempts since I installed it. I could not be happier. I am running 4.0.8 and since I have installed the mod, not one phony spammer has gotten through, yet not one legitimate participant's registration has been blocked.

Thanks for the great spam-roller!

Gary V 05 Nov 2010 22:02

+1 Great work!

Zombo 09 Nov 2010 03:40

hi, is there a feature to scan the current database and remove spambots before the mod was installed?

[email protected] 11 Nov 2010 16:16

There is a path error when checking the log

Quote:

2010-11-11 10:18:46 ********** weazuul Found in Akismet Database. Held for moderation: here it is http://pastebin.com/1FGA7SSC
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/adminc...e.php?do=posts

It has a extra modcp in the path

rootsxrocks 12 Nov 2010 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2118176)
Sorry, I am not following. Can you describe in more detail what you mean about hits to your database from reported spammers? Do you mean they are being blocked but still are looking at your site which is overloading it?

Why not block the IPs using .htaccess or if NetSol is that terrible, I know of a great host...

I do not have any blocking Agents installed however like you said they are looking at the site and overloading the already over sold network solutions database. .
basically what I was asking is if this mod did the .htaccess function or would help to make it. I am still enough of a noob to not know how to do that yet.

I have turned my blog off because of the lack of mod tools and it attracts spammers like flies.

I think I read this before starting this comment but I also want to Know if there is a feature that will alert me to spam registered IPs with current members so I can go back and delete them.

rootsxrocks 12 Nov 2010 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombo (Post 2119739)
hi, is there a feature to scan the current database and remove spambots before the mod was installed?

yeah what he ask ?

sarangan 12 Nov 2010 19:39

1 Attachment(s)
You forgot to change version number to 1.2.8 in xml file.


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2022, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.