vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=230606

Make users click Install before download
by BBR-APBT
20 Dec 2009 07:53

I know this one will most likely not happen but I think users should have to click installed before being able to download a modification.

Then if they don't use it they can click un-installed.

I look at the install count as the thanks mod and when you see a mod with 100+ downloads and 20 installs, It doesn't seem like the general public appreciate what time the coder puts into a modification.

That is all,
BBR-APBT

Paul M 20 Dec 2009 13:29

You're right - it wont happen.

You should also remember that people often download mods more than once, so the d/l count is always going to be higher.

steven s 20 Dec 2009 14:31

No.
I'll download and install something but not click install.
I try it out for a little while and if it suits my needs come back and click install.

BBR-APBT 20 Dec 2009 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 1933989)
You're right - it wont happen.

You should also remember that people often download mods more than once, so the d/l count is always going to be higher.

Very good point. I thought it only counted each download once for each user.

P.S. I knew it wouldn't happen but suggestions are meant to be turned down.

southernlady 14 Jan 2010 00:04

And just because I download it doesn't mean it gets installed, either...sometimes it just doesn't do what *I* want it to do.

Liz

BlackJacket 14 Jan 2010 00:48

But you have the ability to uninstall if you do not use it or if it does not fit your needs.

I vote yes since there is a high percentage of people who will download and install but will not mark it installed on VB.org.

BSMedia 14 Jan 2010 00:59

The install count is a useless metric that means nothing. It doesn't ensure the quality of a mod, how it works, if it's secure or any useful information other than to boost the ego's of coders so they can feel a sense of pride and self worth for releasing something.

Paul M 14 Jan 2010 02:07

In your opinion ;)

Digital Jedi 14 Jan 2010 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSMedia (Post 1954956)
The install count is a useless metric that means nothing. It doesn't ensure the quality of a mod, how it works, if it's secure or any useful information other than to boost the ego's of coders so they can feel a sense of pride and self worth for releasing something.

It gives me a sense of whether or not I should keep supporting it, or do an upgrade. Hardly a useless or egocentric metric.

Paul M 14 Jan 2010 10:13

The numbers may not in themselves be accurate, but over time, they are a pretty good measure of how popular a modification is - which as DJ says, helps in decisions like whether to continue supporting, adding new features (or indeed, porting).

The Geek 14 Jan 2010 10:39

I don't mind either way, however there does seem to be a higher ratio of people NOT clicking install then there has been in the past. For the first time I find myself getting aggravated with users asking for help or enhancements that can't even be arsed to click an install link.

When they download give them a JS prompt "You are about to mark mod as installled...." where they can cancel if they want.

Carnage 14 Jan 2010 18:05

I had an annoyance in the opposite direction the other day... Users marking one of my mods as installed yet there was a bug in the install code - it didn't get reported till there were a number of installs already marked :p

Digital Jedi 14 Jan 2010 19:06

I use the Downloaded section of the User CP to keep track of mods that I'm planning to install, but haven't done so yet. Granted, being forced to mark a download as installed would be a minor inconvenience, as I'd have to make sure to "Uninstall" it afterwards. But it would still be somewhat annoying, not to mention, contradictory to what you've actually done. After all, it just seems counterintuitive to have the system say you've done something, you haven't actually done.

GamingMojo 14 Jan 2010 20:05

I also vote no.

I will admit, sometimes, in the past, I've forgotten to mark things as installed but, that makes it so much harder for me, when I'm trying to find support on it or whatever. So now, I'm in the habit of tagging mods I want to look at later, or have downloaded to try. If it works, and is what I want, I then mark it as installed. But it may be a week or two later when I go back to it, usually mark several of the tagged mods as installed at once.

If I had to click installed before I downloaded it, I'd find myself having to mark it as uninstalled if i wasnt installing straight away, and then marking it as installed once i do install it, if it works, seems, too much hassle, especially if you're after a few mods at once to try out. Like upon upgrading to 4.0 i'll be downloading many of my tagged mods but may not use all of them, or not what I want.

I've also, often downloaded the file more than once :o. If I can't find it/remember where I put it, or am on a different computer and want something from the read me or whatever, I'll redownload.

JakeS 17 Jan 2010 15:05

Yeah, & Nah.

A better idea would be to have the ability so that, when the modification is installed, it sends a quick request to vB.org & then marks as "installed". And Upon un-installation sends request as "un-installed" :-)

Account details may need to be provided though :|, another problem is, this could cause DDOS if to many forums try to do it at once, and also, some servers may block the outgoing requests, so it would have to be optional, or by-passable if it errors out. Which would make it all a bit pointless.

But forcing people to click "installed" each time they download could become irritating to a few people, who may need to download more than once, for example if the download cancelled half way through for whatever reason :-)