vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=155399

Zachery 06 Dec 2007 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by attroll (Post 1394846)
Sorry I did not mean this to turn into a debate. I was simply suggesting to one person that it is cheaper in the long run to purchase your own server rather then rent or lease a server and that is a fact. I am not going to debate this anymore.

the TCO of leased vs bought is fairly complicated as well tbh.

While it may be initially cheaper, in the long run more than likely it wouldn't be.

pds 07 Dec 2007 14:52

I have a dedicated box at ASmallOrange.com. They are pretty darn good, and there prices are decent. They are growing pretty quickly, and I have noticed there support slowing dramatically. All the conversation about SoftLayer is intriguing.

Dedicated is the way to go. I have 7000 users and over a million posts, and I am not stressing my server at all.

projectego 07 Dec 2007 21:41

I have a dedicated server with TotalChoiceHosting.com -- they're pretty good. :)

fumbalah 08 Dec 2007 19:48

We use softlayer as well. Handles our forum fine, we're planning on picking up a second server shortly.

EricGT 25 Dec 2007 03:19

I have a half-cabinet at a large co-lo facility. I am currently running seven servers on my network, four of which are directly related to the site's operation. the others are a firewall, backup server and mail server. I could do everything I am doing on two or three servers, but I like spreading things out.

Computing power wasn't the determining factor for me, when it came to making a hosting decision. My primary concern was bandwidth. I currently have a 10mbs pipe and I am using about 85% of it, at peak times. Of the two, computing power is a much cheaper commodity for a webhost to offer than bandwidth. In a colocated facility, I can contract the bandwidth directly from a big telecom provider and skip the middleman markup. I am averaging more than 60GB of data transfer a day, at this point. If I were paying for my bandwidth by the GB, I would be living in a refrigerator box. Eric

TECK 27 Dec 2007 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricGT (Post 1408714)
If I were paying for my bandwidth by the GB, I would be living in a refrigerator box. Eric

Haha, I like the way you put it. Are you using 95th percentile billing?
I like your current setup... Collocation is the way to go. But I'm interested how you deal with the bandwidth...
I'm facing similar issues, so I would like to know more about your billing method.

EricGT 27 Dec 2007 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TECK (Post 1410302)
Haha, I like the way you put it. Are you using 95th percentile billing?
I like your current setup... Collocation is the way to go. But I'm interested how you deal with the bandwidth...
I'm facing similar issues, so I would like to know more about your billing method.

I'm not sure what 95th percentile billing is. I am paying a flat rate for the 10mbs pipe and for the cabinet. The throughput doesn't matter. If I max out the pipe though, my current setup isn't burtstable, which means some people are just going to hit a wall if I run out of bandwidth. Most colo ISP's will offer burstable capability on the connections they offer.

The facility I am in is very nice. I won't drop names, but there are some big fish hosting there. The security is like something out of a James Bond movie: Man traps, retina scans, sniffers capable of picking up the alcohol in a wet wipe, you name it. The place is great. Eric

TECK 27 Dec 2007 21:50

Aha, unmetered bandwidth. Can you PM me the website? Thanks.

masons 27 Dec 2007 22:58

I host everything with valvehosting.com no problems so far!

attroll 28 Dec 2007 04:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricGT (Post 1410317)
I'm not sure what 95th percentile billing is. I am paying a flat rate for the 10mbs pipe and for the cabinet. The throughput doesn't matter. If I max out the pipe though, my current setup isn't burtstable, which means some people are just going to hit a wall if I run out of bandwidth. Most colo ISP's will offer burstable capability on the connections they offer.

The facility I am in is very nice. I won't drop names, but there are some big fish hosting there. The security is like something out of a James Bond movie: Man traps, retina scans, sniffers capable of picking up the alcohol in a wet wipe, you name it. The place is great. Eric

Yes could you PM me the name of you colo also.

Digma 01 Jan 2008 20:34

We moved from EV1 to Softlayer a couple of months ago. Dedicated server.

klaush 01 Jan 2008 21:11

So if you live in Germany, i think Hetzner is one of your best choice.

The support is amazing and the pricing is o.k.!

www.hetzner.de

Digma 01 Jan 2008 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaush (Post 1413366)
So if you live in Germany, i think Hetzner is one of your best choice.

The support is amazing and the pricing is o.k.!

www.hetzner.de

The pricing is certainly ok, but with that type of prices I always start to think if it is at all possible. I mean, compared to what I am paying at Softlayer this is about 150 euro's cheaper (with the current dollar - euro exchange rate).

Do they only offer AMD chips? No Intel?

And in a way it looks familiar, is this a hosting reseller, because they have the same way of presenting their dedicated server listings as another big german host does. Can't remember its name though.

For me it doesn't matter that much where the server is located not even in Germany (no language barrier for me :P). The only thing I want is a stable server with a fast, solid connection and enough bandwidth. So perhaps you can share some more information through PM or here?

Edit: forgot to mention this, do they offer 24/7 support?

m_k 02 Jan 2008 18:06

I switched over to Servint.net this past summer after a major meltdown at my previous host - so far I have been very pleased with the 24/7 support system. I have had to contact support a few times, and problems have always been handled promptly and competently. If you are on a VPS, upgrading your server can be done with practically no downtime at all. From what I can see on the internal support forums, there are quite a few customers running vBulletin boards.

FlyBoy73 02 Jan 2008 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by attroll (Post 1390831)
I purchased my owner server and here are the specs:

2x INTEL XEON 5345 2.33GHZ 8MB QUAD CORE, This is 8 cores
4x 2048MB Memory giving me a total of 8GB of memory
4x 250GB hard drive setup as raid 10 = 500GB total usage
1x 250GB as a backup drive
1x 250GB a spare drive

I did a colo with this server through colo4dallas. In my opinion if you are going to keep a big board up and running it is cheaper to buy your own server and colo it. Renting or leasing a server is putting money into someone else’s pocket. Over a period of one year with the price you pay for using someone else’s dedicated server you could have purchased your own server. I am paying if not lower then what everyone else paying because I own my server. If you going to buy a server of your own get something expandable so it will grow with you.

EXACTLY..

--------------- Added 02 Jan 2008 at 21:14 ---------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricGT (Post 1408714)
I have a half-cabinet at a large co-lo facility. I am currently running seven servers on my network, four of which are directly related to the site's operation. the others are a firewall, backup server and mail server. I could do everything I am doing on two or three servers, but I like spreading things out.

Computing power wasn't the determining factor for me, when it came to making a hosting decision. My primary concern was bandwidth. I currently have a 10mbs pipe and I am using about 85% of it, at peak times. Of the two, computing power is a much cheaper commodity for a webhost to offer than bandwidth. In a colocated facility, I can contract the bandwidth directly from a big telecom provider and skip the middleman markup. I am averaging more than 60GB of data transfer a day, at this point. If I were paying for my bandwidth by the GB, I would be living in a refrigerator box. Eric

You're doing 60GB of bandwidth over the public network per day with GlockTalk?

--------------- Added 02 Jan 2008 at 21:18 ---------------

I have a 1/2 cabinet at Colo4Dallas.. I've been to/through a number of other colocation facilitie and they don't even come close to Colo4Dallas's bandwidth, quality, DC design and total uptime..

I recommend that any "Big Board" that needs more than middle-class dedicated server look into colocation.. It has been worth the money and much more..


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:51.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.12
Copyright © 2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.