vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=310371

Thread Title Restrictions
by The_Hawk
10 Apr 2014 05:20

Is there anyway to stop a user using particular characters in a thread title?

In my case use of the % sign causes my dbseo friendly names to end with a bad link and result in an error:

Quote:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

bzcomputers 10 Apr 2014 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Hawk (Post 2492376)
Is there anyway to stop a user using particular characters in a thread title?

In my case use of the % sign causes my dbseo friendly names to end with a bad link and result in an error:

You just need to fix your DBSEO settings. The "%" symbol will not break links if it is setup correctly.

Without seeing your settings I can't tell you exactly what is wrong with your current settings, but I suggest you post this issue you are having in the DBSEO mod page here ob vB.org or on DragonByte's website (if you want the fastest service).

The_Hawk 10 Apr 2014 10:53

I posted over there too figuring either option would be fine.

I've taken your advice and looked a little close and I've tried adding in this under the "Custom Character Filter" for dbSEO which appears to work alright. Just wondering if this is the best solution or not??

% => percent


For reference, there is no other character filters at the moment (should there be?)

bzcomputers 10 Apr 2014 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Hawk (Post 2492409)
I posted over there too figuring either option would be fine.

I've taken your advice and looked a little close and I've tried adding in this under the "Custom Character Filter" for dbSEO which appears to work alright. Just wondering if this is the best solution or not??

% => percent


For reference, there is no other character filters at the moment (should there be?)

No, on a default install there won't be any there.

What do you have for the setting right above the custom character filters - "Filter Non-Latin Characters"?

The_Hawk 11 Apr 2014 00:01

For reference, this install was an upgrade from vbSEO so I have used the import settings function.

In any case, that setting is currently on "Keep Non-Latin Characters".

bzcomputers 11 Apr 2014 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Hawk (Post 2492545)
For reference, this install was an upgrade from vbSEO so I have used the import settings function.

In any case, that setting is currently on "Keep Non-Latin Characters".

I also previously ran vbSEO.

I think you'll find either of the other two options for this setting:

2) Remove Non-Latin Characters
or
3) Replace Non-Latin Characters

will also fix your issue.

The_Hawk 11 Apr 2014 05:15

I'm sure this is a rare occurrence so the impact of any changes would be minimal, but the question is how did vbSEO handle this?

The idea being to match the friendly URL that vbSEO would have used to ensure any links out int he wild would continue to work... but like I said, it would be a rarity so it's not a huge issue.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:04.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2021, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.