vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

donwon 23 May 2011 03:00

Yes there is an increase. I have had probably 50 today alone.

Sarteck 24 May 2011 00:17

GlowHost,

One of the account I have in the Protect Users setting is an account that posts IP information of each member as they register to a thread, and checks the user's IP against other registration and post IPs (to detect Duplicate Accounts, for the most part). These posts are made to a thread my Staff can view with the following function:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

I notice, in your plugin, you use $this->registry->userinfo to get the userinfo. I am wondering, with my simple function above, perhaps the registry of the post object does not get set with my userinfo?

If that's the case, it would explain why it's ignoring both the post count and the Protect Users settings. Could you make a suggestion on improving my little function there so that the registry does get set, perhaps, if that's the case?


[EDIT] Each of the accounts I'm having do automatic posting use similar functions, so it does seem likely that this could be the problem.

GlowHost.com 24 May 2011 00:54

I am not a programmer so I cannot really tell you about your functions or how to improve them, sorry. As for testing, its not going to be for a while, I don't have version 2.5 set for release for at least another month due to other projects.

hamedbia2 24 May 2011 10:35

hello,
with this add-on ,can i limit the some user groups to submit for example 10 threads per day?

caracena 24 May 2011 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamedbia2 (Post 2199388)
hello,
with this add-on ,can i limit the some user groups to submit for example 10 threads per day?

No. To do that I use http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131014 and it works perfectly.

hamedbia2 24 May 2011 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by caracena (Post 2199397)
No. To do that I use http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131014 and it works perfectly.

Thanks,but i'm using vbulletin 4.1.2

DannyITR 24 May 2011 17:56

This mod is un-usable. I get emails every few days from disgruntled people not able to register if I'm using the IP function. Why is this happening??????

togotutor 24 May 2011 21:44

Is it going to affect the SEO somehow?

Sushubh 25 May 2011 15:10

Is it me or the threads moderated by this plugin are still visible to the end user?

They do not open thankfully. But they are still visible in different sections of the forum.

How do I hide them from members?

caracena 25 May 2011 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushubh (Post 2199780)
Is it me or the threads moderated by this plugin are still visible to the end user?

They do not open thankfully. But they are still visible in different sections of the forum.

How do I hide them from members?

You must have some setting wrong becouse in my forum, members whith moderated messages usually write them 2 or 3 times saying that "they don't know why their messages didn't showed up" so no... they don't show for regular members.

Sushubh 25 May 2011 16:07

well the moderated posts are not visible. and i get repeated posts in the moderation backend too.

i am talking about moderated threads. and they are visible to end user!

liltiger 26 May 2011 01:29

I've installed this and it has broken my registration

when people try to register they get this message


Warning: require_once(includes/functions_ghsom.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in[path]/register.php(338) : eval()'d code on line 10

Quote:

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/functions_ghsom.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in/home/skiervil/public_html/register.php(338) : eval()'d code on line 1

Alan_SP 26 May 2011 04:48

Upload includes/functions_ghsom.php. It's missing.

liltiger 26 May 2011 05:42

hmmm i uploaded that into admin cp with the other folder (admin cp)... did I need to remove it from folder? or put it somewhere else?

TeknoSounds 26 May 2011 06:58

it should be in your forums/includes folder not your forums/admincp. Most mods forum structure is already there, so should just upload to the folders that already exist.... hope that makes sense.

liltiger 26 May 2011 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeknoSounds (Post 2200074)
it should be in your forums/includes folder not your forums/admincp. Most mods forum structure is already there, so should just upload to the folders that already exist.... hope that makes sense.


no... I originally tried to upload to my forum... and it wanted to replace admin cp and include...

then another post here said to put them in admin cp

Pionex 26 May 2011 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by liltiger (Post 2200080)
no... I originally tried to upload to my forum... and it wanted to replace admin cp and include...

then another post here said to put them in admin cp

let me explain this clearly for you,
when you download this file there will be ffolders named admincp and includes... and so on ( i have not downloaded this yet, so I dont know what is included )

inside of those folders will be files, you need to take the files from the folders and upload them into the corresponding folders on your server.

example:
admincp folder included with this download has files within it, take those files out of that admincp folder and put them into your admincp folder on your sever. repeat this process for each corresponding folder, items not in a folder go directly into public_html

that explain it better?

Pionex 26 May 2011 10:09

okay, now lets address the issue about members being denined access so i can install this thing.. spam is killing me !

Marv 26 May 2011 10:18

Weird, for some reason I canīt find the glowhost navigation in the admincp nor a setting page. The xml is properly uploaded in the includes/xml folder. Can anyone assist me with this issue?

Guess itīs a trivial problem, but I am stuck. Help appreciated.

liltiger 26 May 2011 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pionex (Post 2200113)
let me explain this clearly for you,
when you download this file there will be ffolders named admincp and includes... and so on ( i have not downloaded this yet, so I dont know what is included )

inside of those folders will be files, you need to take the files from the folders and upload them into the corresponding folders on your server.

example:
admincp folder included with this download has files within it, take those files out of that admincp folder and put them into your admincp folder on your sever. repeat this process for each corresponding folder, items not in a folder go directly into public_html

that explain it better?

Perfect! :)

THAT I can manage to do...

I'm a little slow with this stuff I guess :eek:

TeknoSounds 26 May 2011 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv (Post 2200121)
Weird, for some reason I canīt find the glowhost navigation in the admincp nor a setting page. The xml is properly uploaded in the includes/xml folder. Can anyone assist me with this issue?

Guess itīs a trivial problem, but I am stuck. Help appreciated.

the xml file is what you import, you don't upload it to the includes/xml folder

TeknoSounds 26 May 2011 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by liltiger (Post 2200080)
no... I originally tried to upload to my forum... and it wanted to replace admin cp and include...

then another post here said to put them in admin cp

this is expected behavior because it detects the same folders, but if its a new install there won't be any files to overwrite in that folder. For future upgrades, you'll be overwriting previously uploaded files.
But its only giving you the replace the folders question because its detecting the folders are already there, it won't do anything with any other files within the folder unless that file already exists.

Hope that helps.

liltiger 28 May 2011 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeknoSounds (Post 2200360)
this is expected behavior because it detects the same folders, but if its a new install there won't be any files to overwrite in that folder. For future upgrades, you'll be overwriting previously uploaded files.
But its only giving you the replace the folders question because its detecting the folders are already there, it won't do anything with any other files within the folder unless that file already exists.

Hope that helps.

OK - so I should say yes?

Marv 28 May 2011 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeknoSounds (Post 2200356)
the xml file is what you import, you don't upload it to the includes/xml folder

I wasnīt referring to the product.xml, itīs about the cpnav_glowhostspamomatic.xml. Any ideas what could have happend? May be cpnav_glowhostspamomatic.xml is trying to install at in a cpnav_ hook, where other mods have installed theirs? How could I change that to another hook/place ?

TeknoSounds 28 May 2011 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv (Post 2200779)
I wasnīt referring to the product.xml, itīs about the cpnav_glowhostspamomatic.xml. Any ideas what could have happend? May be cpnav_glowhostspamomatic.xml is trying to install at in a cpnav_ hook, where other mods have installed theirs? How could I change that to another hook/place ?

okay so you're saying you can't find the admincp settings for SpamoMatic, in your admincp folder there should be a glowhostspamomatic.php file, and the settings themselves are under the main settings manager, just check close to the bottom of the list...

MySQL Error on installation of product
by autostick
28 May 2011 20:13

My apologies if this was covered, but I searched and found nothing. I am installing SpamOMatic for the first time, and when I click on Import Product, I get this error message. Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.
:confused:
Database error in vBulletin 4.1.3:

Invalid SQL:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `glowhostspamomatic_log`(
`date` DATETIME NOT NULL,
`ip` VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,
`email` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
`username` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
`message` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
`is_blocked` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT "0",
`user_hash` VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
`user_id` INT NOT NULL
) TYPE=MyISAM;;

MySQL Error : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM' at line 10
Error Number : 1064
Request Date : Saturday, May 28th 2011 @ 09:01:53 PM
Error Date : Saturday, May 28th 2011 @ 09:01:53 PM
Script : http://164.107.52.52/vb3/admincp/plu...=productimport
Referrer : http://164.107.52.52/vb3/admincp/plu...?do=productadd
IP Address : 164.107.52.52
Username : xx xx
Classname : vB_Database
MySQL Version : 5.5.8

LisaArnold 30 May 2011 13:29

I have a question that I can't seaem to find an answer for...

Does the Spam-O-Matic have a unbalanced tilt towards not recognizing IP reports in favor of email reports from submissions?

I ask this because on our forum- every spammer that gets through has bad IP reports from sometimes days/months before registering with our site. They get through with a good email, but the IP comes back as previously reported. This has happened numerous times.

I find that this is the case for nearly 99% of the bans. We're using the VBulletin version of Spam-O-Matic and this problem has been on-going for at least a month if not longer.

Is this a known bug in the Spam-O-Matic, and if so, are there any plans to fix it?

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks in advance for any help in this.

Lisa :)

Thank you error 1064 is solved
by autostick
30 May 2011 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by puertoblack2003 (Post 2173637)
na i had the same issue with same info, but with photopost. attached is the modified file you should be ok
I changed the TYPE=MyISAM to ENGINE=MyISAM and removed ";" this happens on windows server mysql 5.5.8

Many thanks to puertoblack for posting the modified code that works flawlessly. Up and running now, my apologies for any duplication... http://www.carforums.net/images/smilies/dupe.gif

Thanks
by Rabbit9149
31 May 2011 07:33

Thanks for this Mod. I installed this on my higher bot traffic site about 3 days ago to see how well it works and so far it has blocked all spammers 100%. 39 Spammers Denied Registration so far and counting. Again, Thanks very much for this Mod.

shrimpca 31 May 2011 09:28

I can't get APIkey from stopspam.

Can you help me ??

Pionex 31 May 2011 10:03

installed, I dont know how well it works yet, but ill let you know tomorrow. Ive been getting, on average, 5 spam bots a day on my site before this was installed. installation went smoothly as well.

thank you.

Delphiprogrammi 31 May 2011 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrimpca (Post 2201977)
I can't get APIkey from stopspam.

Can you help me ??

you have to register on there forum to get an apikey due to abuse (people submitting false reports etc)

for people who have there ip listed and are not a spammer you can request removal though keep this in mind

1) ask nicely
2) do not argue with them or your ip stays in there database

Glowhost you could update the first post so you don't have to answer the same question all the time :D

Delphiprogrammi 31 May 2011 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by autostick (Post 2200975)
My apologies if this was covered, but I searched and found nothing. I am installing SpamOMatic for the first time, and when I click on Import Product, I get this error message. Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.
:confused:
Database error in vBulletin 4.1.3:

Invalid SQL:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `glowhostspamomatic_log`(
`date` DATETIME NOT NULL,
`ip` VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,
`email` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
`username` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
`message` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
`is_blocked` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT "0",
`user_hash` VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
`user_id` INT NOT NULL
) TYPE=MyISAM;;

MySQL Error : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM' at line 10
Error Number : 1064
Request Date : Saturday, May 28th 2011 @ 09:01:53 PM
Error Date : Saturday, May 28th 2011 @ 09:01:53 PM
Script : http://164.107.52.52/vb3/admincp/plu...=productimport
Referrer : http://164.107.52.52/vb3/admincp/plu...?do=productadd
IP Address : 164.107.52.52
Username : xx xx
Classname : vB_Database
MySQL Version : 5.5.8

that looks like a duplicate ; at the end

Rabbit9149 31 May 2011 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by autostick (Post 2200975)
My apologies if this was covered, but I searched and found nothing. I am installing SpamOMatic for the first time, and when I click on Import Product, I get this error message. Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.
:confused:
Database error in vBulletin 4.1.3:

Invalid SQL:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `glowhostspamomatic_log`(
`date` DATETIME NOT NULL,
`ip` VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,
`email` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
`username` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
`message` VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
`is_blocked` TINYINT NOT NULL DEFAULT "0",
`user_hash` VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
`user_id` INT NOT NULL
) TYPE=MyISAM;;

MySQL Error : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM' at line 10
Error Number : 1064
Request Date : Saturday, May 28th 2011 @ 09:01:53 PM
Error Date : Saturday, May 28th 2011 @ 09:01:53 PM
Script : http://164.107.52.52/vb3/admincp/plu...=productimport
Referrer : http://164.107.52.52/vb3/admincp/plu...?do=productadd
IP Address : 164.107.52.52
Username : xx xx
Classname : vB_Database
MySQL Version : 5.5.8

I had this same error. It has to do with the newer versions of mysql you use. You can fix it by right clicking on product-glowhostspamomatic.xml and click edit and open your find window and search for TYPE=MyISAM I think there were 3 of them you need to change to ENGINE=MyISAM and that should fix you all up. ;)

Pionex 31 May 2011 16:37

Spam-O-Matic Tagged ip - 213.163.97.20 Unable to connect to StopForumSpam.com. This is probably due to some temporary problems on their website: Unable to check. User passed to vBulletin registration system per your settings at 'StopForumSpam: Query Conne


Im not connecting to their website..... whats the issue?

CtrlAltDel 31 May 2011 18:02

Has anyone written something to leverage this API to check existing registrations?

mrplowjr_ez_v 31 May 2011 20:18

What a fantastic add-on! Thank you!!! Had 20 blocked spammers in the first 12 hours. This saves me an immense amount of time!

lurch_cr 01 Jun 2011 03:05

On my forum, I have a bit of a problem with the 'Username' check when people try and register.
It seems to pick up some really common "real" names. A recently one being as something as simple as 'Leon' - the persons real name.
Now I realise that it goes and checks this against a central database and I'm assuming these names have been flagged.
What I would prefer is that rego's that have failed due to username be left for moderation instead of just blocked in its tracks.
Is this possible? I haven't been able to find such an option thus far :(

Mark Hewitt 02 Jun 2011 08:14

Just trying to understand how this works.

I used to moderate all new members, but I switched that off when I installed this.

However, new members (all spammers) are still appearing in my moderation list. However they don't appear in the Spam-o-matic logs. Is this expected behaviour or have I got something strange going on here?

Mark Hewitt 02 Jun 2011 08:23

I've also just been spammed by someone who doesn't appear in the logs.

charlesr 02 Jun 2011 14:54

I'm on the latest vb4.

I've been having horrendous server overload issues and after a while I got to the point where I turned off all plugins and any standard vbulletin features that are vaguely intensive, e.g. search. I also disabled new signups completely.

After a couple of days of running fine, I turned search back on. Then after 5 days of it running fine I turned on SpamOmatic and enabled signups. After a few hours the server went nuts (load = 100+) and fell over. I turned the product off again and have been moderating signups manually. Everything has been fine for a few days now, with the server barely breaking a sweat.

Note: I checked that cURL and allow_url_fopen are enable on the server.

Hopefully just coincidence! But I was wondering if anyone else has had load issues with this product enabled? If so, any hints?

After a few more days, I'll be turning it on again to try and "confirm" if it was coincidence or not.

caracena 02 Jun 2011 15:08

You obviously have something broken in your forum either in this modification or in vB itself. I've been running this mod for some 3 weeks now and load stays at an average of 0.3 in normal hours and 1.1 in peak hours usually becouse there's one or two visitors that get hung up with a lot of redirections becouse some weird post they'r trying to see and my very ugly SEO rewrites (yeah, my fault).

I had the same problem as you before I upgraded to vB4. Loading average for my site was in the 18 seconds and now is in the 4 seconds and it wasn't fault of modifications or plugins... just some bad configuration settings.

Re-check every single setting in options and delete/re-install this mod before activating it again.

charlesr 02 Jun 2011 19:46

Thanks.

I just tried uninstalling the product which went smoothly but in the instructions it says:

Quote:

5.1. After uninstall, please, remove
/includes/xml/bitfield_glowhostspamomatic.xml file from server
I could not find this file - is this part of the readme file up to date or is that file only relevant for older versions of ghsom?

caracena 02 Jun 2011 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesr (Post 2202769)
Thanks.

I just tried uninstalling the product which went smoothly but in the instructions it says:


I could not find this file - is this part of the readme file up to date or is that file only relevant for older versions of ghsom?

Not relevant to this version.

charlesr 02 Jun 2011 23:27

Coolo. Thanks muchly.

Adrian Schneider 02 Jun 2011 23:33

Cool, thanks for sharing. Going to give it a try.

error installing
by jackspratt
03 Jun 2011 17:53

I receive the following error when installing.
I have ver 4.1.3 CMS

query_write('CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `'.TABLE_PREFIX.'glowhostspamomatic_log`(

caracena 03 Jun 2011 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackspratt (Post 2203111)
I receive the following error when installing.
I have ver 4.1.3 CMS

query_write('CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `'.TABLE_PREFIX.'glowhostspamomatic_log`(

Check this post

CRDeveloper 04 Jun 2011 03:50

Hey I remember that in the older version we had option in the edit user setting at the bottom, so we can ban with this mod the user sending them to the blacklist.

Now in this version I don't see any of those options in the edit user. The problem right now is that in one of my forums I got users like this registering
Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

There are like 32 users like that using that IP and all of them pass the security.

I will ban the IP right now, but how to ban the user using this mod? They haven't done any post so I can use moderation tools.

dustoff99 04 Jun 2011 04:12

You have to wait until his next update (2.5 I believe) to get the sleepers.

CRDeveloper 04 Jun 2011 07:01

So I can only ban them right now?

LisaArnold 04 Jun 2011 12:35

So I'm guessing by the no response to my last post on page 69, that there isn't an answer, or no one knows what the answer is. :confused:

I hope there is an answer because it's becoming a real problem having to check everyone who manages to get past SOM and then having to manually ban then delete 99% of them as reported spammers with multiple reports (some up to recent 200 reports). If I can't get this fixed, I might as well uninstall it, because I'm doing all the work still- like I used to do. :(

Please, if someone knows why it's not working, can you fill me in so I can get it fixed?!

BTW, I'm using v4.1.2 (haven't updated to v4.1.3 yet) if that helps.

dustoff99 04 Jun 2011 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRDeveloper (Post 2203305)
So I can only ban them right now?

I ban the people that have attempted to register on my site if they use the same ip over and over.

GlowHost.com 05 Jun 2011 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pionex (Post 2200113)
let me explain this clearly for you,
when you download this file there will be ffolders named admincp and includes... and so on ( i have not downloaded this yet, so I dont know what is included )

inside of those folders will be files, you need to take the files from the folders and upload them into the corresponding folders on your server.

example:
admincp folder included with this download has files within it, take those files out of that admincp folder and put them into your admincp folder on your sever. repeat this process for each corresponding folder, items not in a folder go directly into public_html

that explain it better?

Thank you for your explanation. If anyone has the same question, Pionex nailed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by liltiger (Post 2200080)
no... I originally tried to upload to my forum... and it wanted to replace admin cp and include...

then another post here said to put them in admin cp

If I could delete that post, I would. Its not a very good explanation and misleading that the files are supposed to go in admincp....Please ignore that post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaArnold (Post 2201643)
I have a question that I can't seaem to find an answer for...

Does the Spam-O-Matic have a unbalanced tilt towards not recognizing IP reports in favor of email reports from submissions?

I ask this because on our forum- every spammer that gets through has bad IP reports from sometimes days/months before registering with our site. They get through with a good email, but the IP comes back as previously reported. This has happened numerous times.

I find that this is the case for nearly 99% of the bans. We're using the VBulletin version of Spam-O-Matic and this problem has been on-going for at least a month if not longer.

There is no bias, if you have a check enabled, and it finds a match, registration is denied. 1's and 0's

Maybe you need to adjust your settings for StopForumSpam: Remote Expiry

If it is the default of 90 days, then if that IP spammed in the last 90 days, they should be blocked. If you have set this value too low, like 10 days for example, and the spammer didn't spam from that IP for the last 10 days, but then started spamming again on the 11th day, they would be allowed to register.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pionex (Post 2202101)
Spam-O-Matic Tagged ip - 213.163.97.20 Unable to connect to StopForumSpam.com. This is probably due to some temporary problems on their website: Unable to check. User passed to vBulletin registration system per your settings at 'StopForumSpam: Query Conne


Im not connecting to their website..... whats the issue?

Ask your web hosting company. If they can't tell you, you could always host with us. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hewitt (Post 2202589)
I've also just been spammed by someone who doesn't appear in the logs.

That is not abnormal, SOM is not a clairvoyant, psychic or extrasense depending on what you call it in your part of the world. :)

It cant predect or detect every user who might be a spammer. Some users will get past registration and spam your forum. That is when you use the moderation tools and select the Spam-O-Matic option and (assuming you have API keys for stopforumspam.com) then you delete the posts and report the user simultaneously so that they do not come back to your board, or any other board who has this plugin installed.

=================================

Here are our current stats since the last release:

10800 Spammers Denied Registration

14 Spammers Permanently Banned

35 Spammers submitted to StopForumSpam

69 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated

liltiger 05 Jun 2011 09:15

Ok - now it does not notice bad words posted in private messages...

Can this be tweaked to do that?

We have issues with folks sending private messages with 'spam'.
These are not standard spam everything types, but organised real life people that like to sell other forums products from their forum. They are clever and will wait until out of quarantine and then send via private message.

I've tested and PMs are not being noticed

LisaArnold 05 Jun 2011 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.
There is no bias, if you have a check enabled, and it finds a match, registration is denied. 1's and 0's

Maybe you need to adjust your settings for StopForumSpam: Remote Expiry

If it is the default of 90 days, then if that IP spammed in the last 90 days, they should be blocked. If you have set this value too low, like 10 days for example, and the spammer didn't spam from that IP for the last 10 days, but then started spamming again on the 11th day, they would be allowed to register.

Thanks for your help/reply, it's much appreciated. :up:

I've got my Expiry set at 120 (is that a wrong amount?), and today I purchased & added an Akistmet API and the spammers are still getting through. I don't know what else to do. *sigh*

Anymore suggestions?

GlowHost.com 05 Jun 2011 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by liltiger (Post 2203698)
Ok - now it does not notice bad words posted in private messages...

Can this be tweaked to do that?

We have issues with folks sending private messages with 'spam'.
These are not standard spam everything types, but organised real life people that like to sell other forums products from their forum. They are clever and will wait until out of quarantine and then send via private message.

I've tested and PMs are not being noticed

I can't think of any spammers who have so much time on their hands that they would make 10 legitimate posts and then send PM spam. Are you using the newbies group and is that group able to send PMs? Newbies should have virtually no permissions other than to post, and you set those perms in the usergroup manager.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaArnold (Post 2203729)
Thanks for your help/reply, it's much appreciated. :up:

I've got my Expiry set at 120 (is that a wrong amount?), and today I purchased & added an Akistmet API and the spammers are still getting through. I don't know what else to do. *sigh*

Anymore suggestions?

120 is OK, and some spammers are still going to get through. Are your statistics showing that it is working at all?

LisaArnold 05 Jun 2011 23:04

It's stopping some, but in the last 2 - 3 months, more spammers have gotten through than it's stopped.
I just don't understand why it stopped working well, it was doing fine until we upgraded to vb-4.1.2 and don't know what changed with the upgrade, so I don't know what to fix.

Classic example - 5th June - IP: 95.84.199.154 - in a little over a month, it's had 200 reports submitted to SFS; it got through & the email - [email protected] - has been reported 34 times. I have no idea how it managed to still register.

Thanks for the reply though.

liltiger 06 Jun 2011 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2203890)
I can't think of any spammers who have so much time on their hands that they would make 10 legitimate posts and then send PM spam. Are you using the newbies group and is that group able to send PMs? Newbies should have virtually no permissions other than to post, and you set those perms in the usergroup manager.



Sorry - that is just what they do... a small group that are only interested in direct marketing of a set of products to a select market - so forums that deal with that select market are the only target.

The 'cult chieftain' has been run out of town by most organisations that deal with the subject area in question... started his own forum, but the apostles act on the process I described...

The newbies group have no permissions - but these folks will wait that out...

I thought that this product would pick up the links in the PMs - but on testing it does not do this. Any solutions?

caracena 06 Jun 2011 14:11

Yeah, edit the PMs template and add a little text at the bottom of all outgoing PMs stating somethig like:
Quote:

Help us combat spam. If you feel this private message is spam, please click this link
I don't know... just a thought. My forum is in spanish and luckily for us, we don't have that kind of spamers.. yet.

utahraves 07 Jun 2011 19:48

Hey friends, I really need a temporary solution for the admincp report a user... I used to have it on one of my forums but now I can't find it and I looked through like every single page on this thread (quickly glancing for attachments and/or code)... Please assist :)

Thanks

utahraves 07 Jun 2011 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2203890)
I can't think of any spammers who have so much time on their hands that they would make 10 legitimate posts and then send PM spam.

I have this, actually. They'll go into threads and either copy everything that another post a long time ago said... OR... they'll read the subject and put their 2 cents into it

RowenWindsong 08 Jun 2011 00:05

First off thanks for a great product, after using it a few weeks we have so far caught all spammers trying to register with the site, not counting unknown sleepers.

To those saying it's letting through more than it's stopping you are clearly doing something wrong or have some messed up settings.

Now I have 2 questions:

#1. I have it set via VB settings that all new users need to be approved by an admin, I have triple checked this setting and for some reason when people register and pass the SoM registration check they are getting auto approved without an admin even approving there application. Not a huge deal but I like to double check and make sure it doesn't look like a sleeper account before they get through. I'm the only admin on the site so I know it's not another admin approving them.

How can we set it so that SoM lets them register but the admin or mod still needs to approve the registration before they go live?

#2. It's great that this system catches so many spammers but having to go and manually add each rejected application to SFS's database it very taxing, especially when we are talking about amount of info I am talking about. Are there any plans to add check boxes or a 1 click option to submit all blocked/stopped spam account into to SFS's database in the future? It would be really great because having to sit down and submit 1 by 1 each spam account's into takes forever when you are dealing with hundreds of stopped spam account info each week, I think my CTRL-V key is breaking from so much copy and pasting lol.

Thanks for all you great work and looking forwards to more innovations in the future, maybe checking PM's and Forum Posts for spam material would be cool to. Have a great week.

LisaArnold 09 Jun 2011 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowenWindsong (Post 2204786)
To those saying it's letting through more than it's stopping you are clearly doing something wrong or have some messed up settings.

Obviously!

Hence the reason why I'm here asking for help/advice.

Maybe someone has had the same issue and worked out what was wrong and WHY... and willing to post the answer for the rest of us having this issue.

Aramist 09 Jun 2011 15:45

Hi guys.

This month i got many registered user in my board with @yahoo.com email.

like [email protected]

At least 3-5 each day.

Not only registering.....but they r validating the email.

How to solve this? the mod is not blocking them.

steve1966 10 Jun 2011 18:48

please can the author update this mod it is not working correctly its causing my members to show incorrect posts counts i have uninstalled until an update is done thnak you

CardMafia 10 Jun 2011 19:38

Uninstalled. Rejects almost all applicants to my site regardless of settings.

steviewonder44 11 Jun 2011 00:13

Not working with vB 4.14

Ross L 11 Jun 2011 14:12

I noticed a massive influx of spam registrations when I upgraded from 3.8 to 4.1.3 last week and this has banished them all :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Card+++++ (Post 2205922)
Uninstalled. Rejects almost all applicants to my site regardless of settings.

It's because most attempted registrations are spammers. I've tested this by manually registering using different IP's, different email hosts etc. and it's allowed all registrations. Every registration it has blocked for me, are listed as spammers in the No Forum Spam database.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviewonder44 (Post 2206003)
Not working with vB 4.14

Working fine here.

LisaArnold 12 Jun 2011 04:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviewonder44 (Post 2206003)
Not working with vB 4.14

I hope that's not for everyone, although I do hope you get it all worked out and SOM working for you again.

I'm thinking I might have to uninstall the SOM, do the update to vB 4.1.4, then reinstall the SOM and then keep my fingers crossed it all works like it's meant to. *sigh*

Skyrider 14 Jun 2011 18:37

Is it possible that a button can be added at their profile to easily remove a user bot and delete all their stuff with 1 push (or 2) of a button?

steeler7 14 Jun 2011 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross L (Post 2206200)
I noticed a massive influx of spam registrations when I upgraded from 3.8 to 4.1.3 last week and this has banished them all :D



It's because most attempted registrations are spammers. I've tested this by manually registering using different IP's, different email hosts etc. and it's allowed all registrations. Every registration it has blocked for me, are listed as spammers in the No Forum Spam database.



Working fine here.

it's not working for me when I register with my other e-mail. Database keeps rejecting it. Any idea?

Ross L 14 Jun 2011 20:07

Just a heads up to everyone StopForumSpam is down, so spammers will get through today.

@Steeler7 Has the issue only happened today or is this a reoccurring issue? If it has only happened today, it may be related to the StopForumSpam outage, if it is happening everyday PM me your email address and I'll try register with it on my forum, once StopForumSpam is back up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF|Skyrider (Post 2207680)
Is it possible that a button can be added at their profile to easily remove a user bot and delete all their stuff with 1 push (or 2) of a button?

+1 on this.

steeler7 14 Jun 2011 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeler7 (Post 2207692)
it's not working for me when I register with my other e-mail. Database keeps rejecting it. Any idea?

Forgot to mention that I'm running 4.1.4 as well with it not working for me. I'm getting the following error...

Quote:

Database error in vBulletin 4.1.4:

Invalid SQL:
INSERT INTO glowhostspamomatic_log(`date`, `ip`, `email`, `username`, `message`, `is_blocked`, `user_hash`) VALUES (now(), "98.239.167.36", "[email protected]", "testingname2", "Spam-O-Matic Tagged username - testingname2 Unable to connect to StopForumSpam.com. This is probably due to some temporary problems on their website: Unable to check. User passed to vBulletin registration system per your settings at \'StopForumSpam: Query Connection Errors\'", "0", "0dd920e31cb73ec67f6c40fcd8bec12c");;
doesnt really matter what user name I use either and I even tried stopforumspam and no dice. Same error from both

steeler7 14 Jun 2011 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross L (Post 2207717)
Just a heads up to everyone StopForumSpam is down, so spammers will get through today.

@Steeler7 Has the issue only happened today or is this a reoccurring issue? If it has only happened today, it may be related to the StopForumSpam outage, if it is happening everyday PM me your email address and I'll try register with it on my forum, once StopForumSpam is back up.

Just today.

This would perfectly explain my database error i just pasted.

Thanks for the headsup!!

Ross L 14 Jun 2011 20:13

No worries :D It's definitely caused by the StopForumSpam outage. Once they are back up, the mod should work perfectly. Keep checking http://www.stopforumspam.com to see if they are back up.

You can keep updated with StopForumSpam's outage here: http://twitter.com/#!/StopForumSpam

Bluemax712 15 Jun 2011 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross L (Post 2207721)
No worries :D It's definitely caused by the StopForumSpam outage. Once they are back up, the mod should work perfectly. Keep checking http://www.stopforumspam.com to see if they are back up.

You can keep updated with StopForumSpam's outage here: http://twitter.com/#!/StopForumSpam

Thanks for the Twitter link - guess he will be getting a lot more followers now

I'm amazed it runs off just one server (for now) hopefully he'll get the clustering working soon

Shanakar 17 Jun 2011 04:49

I'm using 4.1.4 and it installed perfectly fine, only problem is it now doesn't allow anyone to register regardless of settings. I've uninstalled it and hope there will be an update.

GlowHost.com 17 Jun 2011 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowenWindsong (Post 2204786)

#1. I have it set via VB settings that all new users need to be approved by an admin, I have triple checked this setting and for some reason when people register and pass the SoM registration check they are getting auto approved without an admin even approving there application. Not a huge deal but I like to double check and make sure it doesn't look like a sleeper account before they get through. I'm the only admin on the site so I know it's not another admin approving them.

How can we set it so that SoM lets them register but the admin or mod still needs to approve the registration before they go live?

This is the first report I have seen that this does not work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowenWindsong (Post 2204786)

#2. It's great that this system catches so many spammers but having to go and manually add each rejected application to SFS's database it very taxing, especially when we are talking about amount of info I am talking about. Are there any plans to add check boxes or a 1 click option to submit all blocked/stopped spam account into to SFS's database in the future? It would be really great because having to sit down and submit 1 by 1 each spam account's into takes forever when you are dealing with hundreds of stopped spam account info each week, I think my CTRL-V key is breaking from so much copy and pasting lol.

Yes, that is one of the core functions in SOM. Its a 2 click process. Look for the Spam-O-Matic setting in your moderation tools menu. See the screenshots on the first page of this thread for the example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steviewonder44 (Post 2206003)
Not working with vB 4.14

Anyone else have this problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF|Skyrider (Post 2207680)
Is it possible that a button can be added at their profile to easily remove a user bot and delete all their stuff with 1 push (or 2) of a button?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross L (Post 2207717)
+1 on this.

This is answered on just about every page in this thread, its also in the FAQ on the first post. Look for it in V2.5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanakar (Post 2208814)
I'm using 4.1.4 and it installed perfectly fine, only problem is it now doesn't allow anyone to register regardless of settings. I've uninstalled it and hope there will be an update.

Anyone else have this problem?

Kentoz 18 Jun 2011 07:29

I'm using 4.1.4 and I really don't feel to have any problem with this. But I must say I'm amazed that in only 2 days I got over 100 registrations denied... Can it be that some real users are getting their registration denied or is my forum a spamming target? I'm still getting real users to register in my forum without any problem though.

Sushubh 18 Jun 2011 09:19

a couple of users who were denied registration contact me manually. and i create accounts for them manually.

i am not sure how many genuine users i might have lost because of their IPs. but the lessening of spam is a major relief.

Ross L 18 Jun 2011 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentoz (Post 2209307)
I'm using 4.1.4 and I really don't feel to have any problem with this. But I must say I'm amazed that in only 2 days I got over 100 registrations denied... Can it be that some real users are getting their registration denied or is my forum a spamming target? I'm still getting real users to register in my forum without any problem though.

When I was on 3.8, I very rarely got any spam registrations (and that's with me leaving the forum unattended for months). Within hours of installing 4.1.4 I had been inundated with spam registrations. I'm assuming that the spammers target regularly upgraded forums, as they assume they will be active.

Lover1 18 Jun 2011 13:22


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

EDIT: Found the Solution http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...postcount=1034

HMBeaty 18 Jun 2011 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2209130)
Anyone else have this problem?

Just tested this on my test 4.1.4 installation and was able to register with no problem :confused:

Kentoz 19 Jun 2011 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross L (Post 2209346)
When I was on 3.8, I very rarely got any spam registrations (and that's with me leaving the forum unattended for months). Within hours of installing 4.1.4 I had been inundated with spam registrations. I'm assuming that the spammers target regularly upgraded forums, as they assume they will be active.

I really hope that's what is actually happening to my forum :) and not what Sushubh said :erm: the last thing I want is to lose some real quality users.

jezza101 19 Jun 2011 20:31

Ive had a wave of spammers who register, post some vaguely "normal" posts (although they tend to bump old threads so I can normally spot them) and then come back a week later to edit in the spam links.

Anyone got any thoughts on how to use Spam-o-matic to counter this kind of spam? I guess I can ban user editing but that's not great for other real users.

Any ideas?

Sushubh 19 Jun 2011 20:44

personally i would not like users to edit their posts after like an hour or so. a week? that is too much time. especially for freshly registered users.

i understand thread starters would benefit if they are allowed to edit their first posts. but this functionality can be reserved for regular folks who have more than 10/20 posts.

just my 2 cents!

liltiger 20 Jun 2011 10:38

I'm getting users posts quarantined with no bad words... I think they may be editing their posts for spelling mistakes... not sure anyone else having an issue?

Most are fine but there are some getting clouted and cannot see why?

4Play 21 Jun 2011 01:33

* INSTALLED. brilliant work!

LLent 21 Jun 2011 21:25

after installing 4.1.4 for some reason it wont let me add a spammer to StopForumSpam any idea how to fix this

thecore762 21 Jun 2011 23:59

Is it possible to allow people from the same IP to register? it seems like people are being blocked.

Lover1 22 Jun 2011 02:55

THIS! is a MUST have! Thank you very much.

Donkon 22 Jun 2011 12:57

right now i have over 70000 threads awaiting moderation, how can i automatically prune all of them, my site times out when i try accessing moderation

rolfw1 22 Jun 2011 13:27

Can't see how can you have 70,000 threads in moderation, the mod doesn't work retrospectively and surely your forum can't be that busy?

Donkon 22 Jun 2011 13:56

nm, don't need help anymore, found the prune option. Pruning 80k threads that this put in moderation queue. I reviewed the first 100 or so and most do seem to be spam posts

rolfw1 22 Jun 2011 14:18

OK, glad you got it sorted. How long did it take to accrue over 80,000 posts in the mod queue?

Mariner1 22 Jun 2011 15:01

After installing this on 4.14 i got this error

When trying to submitt a post i get this error

Warning: require_once(includes/functions_ghsom.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [path]/includes/functions_newpost.php(474) : eval()'d code on line 5

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/functions_ghsom.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php52/pear') in /home/clubacts/public_html/includes/functions_newpost.php(474) : eval()'d code on line 5

Ive disabelled it for now.Any ideas whats causing this

Donkon 22 Jun 2011 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolfw1 (Post 2211269)
OK, glad you got it sorted. How long did it take to accrue over 80,000 posts in the mod queue?

Not long at all, around 10 minutes

rolfw1 22 Jun 2011 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariner1 (Post 2211280)
After installing this on 4.14 i got this error

When trying to submitt a post i get this error

Warning: require_once(includes/functions_ghsom.php) [function.require-once]

The file functions_ghsom.php is missing from your includes folder, you either missed uploading it, or put it in the wrong directory.

Mariner1 22 Jun 2011 16:24

Ok ive still got the rar file i downloaded from vb,doesnt look like that file is there.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2021, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.