vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

GlowHost.com 08 Sep 2010 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerDog (Post 2095441)
Understood ... so can I delete functions_vbghsfs.php from my server?

Yes unless you want to run version 1.2.4 or earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerDog (Post 2095441)
Follow up ... v1.25 is NOT sending information to ADD spammers to stopforumspam.com. I've tested it several times using the AdminCP function add-on panel you provide in the users screen and nothing ever arrives and is placed in their database.

How are you checking that? The results do not appear on their site for quite a while after submission. Last we tested, it was something like an hour before you could see them when posting from the API. I guess they have a cron setup to save server resources.

Are your logs updated indicating the submission was successful? If yes, then they were submitted because that is a response from SFS indicating the successful submission.

Jaxel 08 Sep 2010 18:20

I turned Akismet off a week after I installed this mod. The false positives I am talking about now are during registration when this mod rejects legitimate users. I get emails from users all the time who ask for help registering because they get rejected on some random ip check.

Iguana Goddess 08 Sep 2010 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2095386)
Anyone else?

Me too.

GlowHost.com 08 Sep 2010 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxel (Post 2095499)
I turned Akismet off a week after I installed this mod. The false positives I am talking about now are during registration when this mod rejects legitimate users. I get emails from users all the time who ask for help registering because they get rejected on some random ip check.

I see. Well, the 2 suggestions I have for that would be to:

1) Turn off the IP check
or
2) keep IP check on and turn "StopForumSpam: Remote Expiry" down to something less less, like 10 so that only newly found IPs are checked, instead of stuff from 3 months ago (90)

At the end of the day, if it is picking up their IPs spam did come from that IP at some point. Likely those who complain are in Internet cafes overseas where spammers like to play, which ends up getting everyone punished.

Might encourage them to find a more reliable ISP that better controls spam if that is the case.

On the other hand, if that IP has been playing nice lately, and you set a low threshold of 10 or so, it might help you and the users since that IP would be expired from results.

The email check is the most effective anyways, so simply turning off the IP check is probably best for your situation since your other registration checks seem to be strong enough for you.

Hope it helps, if not, I tried. :)

BadgerDog 08 Sep 2010 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2095497)
How are you checking that? The results do not appear on their site for quite a while after submission. Last we tested, it was something like an hour before you could see them when posting from the API. I guess they have a cron setup to save server resources.

Are your logs updated indicating the submission was successful? If yes, then they were submitted because that is a response from SFS indicating the successful submission.

It's been over 8 hours and the submissions we tested under 1.25 are still not appearing.

I can find no record of any submission in the user logs for either of the tests we conducted ...

Regards,
Badger

GlowHost.com 08 Sep 2010 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerDog (Post 2095577)
It's been over 8 hours and the submissions we tested under 1.25 are still not appearing.

I can find no record of any submission in the user logs for either of the tests we conducted ...

Regards,
Badger

Can you try it using the moderation tool to delete posts as spam and see if it ends up in the logs and SFS DV? Perhaps there is a problem with the combination of options that you are choosing when submitting from the user profile in admincp.

I did find one bug there for another reported issue where a certain combination of options just reloaded the page, that is fixed but I would like to see if we can pinpoint your issue before making another release.

BadgerDog 09 Sep 2010 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2095593)
Can you try it using the moderation tool to delete posts as spam and see if it ends up in the logs and SFS DV? Perhaps there is a problem with the combination of options that you are choosing when submitting from the user profile in admincp.

I could, but I need a legitimate spammer to break through the defenses and post a thread that is spam, in order to be able to use 1.25 to delete it as spam and test it.

Will advise as soon as I have that set of circumstances ....

BTW, still no sign of the spammers I sent to StopForumSpam using the AdminCP add-on for user settings, so there must be a problem with that part of it ...

Regards,
Badger

GlowHost.com 09 Sep 2010 15:24

I suggest disabling email, username and IP checks for a while so that a spammer can get on your boards otherwise we may be waiting a while for one to get through the system.

DBs 09 Sep 2010 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2095593)

I did find one bug there for another reported issue where a certain combination of options just reloaded the page, that is fixed but I would like to see if we can pinpoint your issue before making another release.

Any chance you could release the fix for the problem that I am experiencing?

GlowHost.com 09 Sep 2010 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBs (Post 2095840)
Any chance you could release the fix for the problem that I am experiencing?

I'd like to patch them both at the same time and stop development of the 1.x tree.

The first reason being is I don't want to make a new release every day for minor issues that have workarounds (this one has a workaround, which is to delete posts as spam instead of using the user option in admincp)

The second reason being this function is deprecated in version 2.0 which we are in release candidate stages for version 2.0 already. I am trying not to back-pedal too much.

In 2.0 the function in the user profile has been removed in favor of an option on the moderator tools called "Spam-O-Matic" in the postbit which will take care of everything without having to login to admincp, find the user, select the options, and ban them which is a time consuming process.

Everything is done in one step from the post itself in version 2.

Iguana Goddess 09 Sep 2010 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2095819)
I suggest disabling email, username and IP checks for a while so that a spammer can get on your boards otherwise we may be waiting a while for one to get through the system.

I have been testing and spam info is not getting submitted through to sfs site. I have a person that registers daily that does nothing but spam peoples personal info all over the board. If I manually submit the info to the database it gets added, when I try to submit through my admincp it isn't successful. I submit and ban user no other options ticked.

GlowHost.com 09 Sep 2010 18:27

I understand and believe that condition is fixed in the next release.

The workaround I see for the time being, which no one has really answered yet, is what happens when you use the "Delete Posts As Spam" option? This should take care of the user and submit them as well.

Iguana Goddess 09 Sep 2010 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2095901)
I understand and believe that condition is fixed in the next release.

The workaround I see for the time being, which no one has really answered yet, is what happens when you use the "Delete Posts As Spam" option? This should take care of the user and submit them as well.

Will let you know as soon as this creep registers again I'll let him post and see what happens.

sas forum 09 Sep 2010 18:43

The only problem I have had since the beginning is that in the log viewer, when a post is moderated, clicking on the link for the past takes me to domain.com/admincp verus domain.com/forum/admincp, so anything you can do when clicking on that link is useless unless you manually edit the link in the browser.

Could this possibly be the issue with submittig spammers via the admincp mentioned above, maybe it is referencing the wrong URL?

I run this mod on several forums and they all have the same issue with the incorrect URL.

Oh, I guess I should add that I have never been able to submit the data via the admincp and always figured it was just because of the bad url.

GlowHost.com 10 Sep 2010 11:24

1.2.6 is online. Fixes the bug with not being able to submit details to SFS from user profile in admincp.

Iguana Goddess 10 Sep 2010 12:43

I'm getting an error in the admin panel when I submit to SFS after updating to the newest version..


https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/external/2010/09/16.jpg

RCK08 10 Sep 2010 13:00

looking for help!! Ok so there was this MOD out there by a site called combatscripts.com, it was a tournament and ladder script, currently I'm using Banana's script, but this one , no offense, had a few more options I was looking for in a script..so gave it a day to look it over and now the combatscripts.com site is gone! had anyone on here heard of this site and or have any info if its gone for good or whatever, please message me back thank you! all the best...

sas forum 10 Sep 2010 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCK08 (Post 2096170)
looking for help!! Ok so there was this MOD out there by a site called combatscripts.com, it was a tournament and ladder script, currently I'm using Banana's script, but this one , no offense, had a few more options I was looking for in a script..so gave it a day to look it over and now the combatscripts.com site is gone! had anyone on here heard of this site and or have any info if its gone for good or whatever, please message me back thank you! all the best...

I am not 100% positive, but I have a feeling that this is not the forum that you would want to post something about the mod you mentioned. This discussion is related to the Glowhost Spam-O-Matic mod. You may want to choose a forum from here that better suits your needs.

VIPER-MAN 11 Sep 2010 01:18

This is working somewhat but I am encountering the same problem others have mentioned .... it conflicts with the automatic RSS poster ... I have an ADMIN account (News) that automatically posts based on various RSS feeds ... SpamOMatic puts these threads in Moderation mode no matter what I try. The NEWS user has over 3,000 posts and my settings have the cut off at 6 posts so it should not be moderating this user.

My settings:
---------
vBulletin Spam Scanning: Disabled
Akismet: Disabled
Auto-Moderation: Enabled
Min Post Count: 6
Url Count: 0

It should be ignoring the NEWS user and it doesn't -- throws every RSS post in moderation. I've tried all variations with no luck ... any ideas? I don't want to uninstall as it really has curbed the spam registrants!!!

GlowHost.com 11 Sep 2010 02:11

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iguana Goddess (Post 2096165)
I'm getting an error in the admin panel when I submit to SFS after updating to the newest version..


https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/external/2010/09/16.jpg

Iguana Goddess, I have attached a version 1.2.7 here for you to see if it fixes your issue. If it doesn't, this feature may not work for you due to the older version of vB that you are running. Still wondering if your Moderation Tools option to Delete Posts As Spam is working for you.

If the attached gets rid of those errors and works, please let me know and I will make it an official release for the 3.x series of vB.

(fingers crossed)

GlowHost.com 11 Sep 2010 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by VIPER-MAN (Post 2096470)
This is working somewhat but I am encountering the same problem others have mentioned .... it conflicts with the automatic RSS poster ... I have an ADMIN account (News) that automatically posts based on various RSS feeds ... SpamOMatic puts these threads in Moderation mode no matter what I try. The NEWS user has over 3,000 posts and my settings have the cut off at 6 posts so it should not be moderating this user.

My settings:
---------
vBulletin Spam Scanning: Disabled
Akismet: Disabled
Auto-Moderation: Enabled
Min Post Count: 6
Url Count: 0

It should be ignoring the NEWS user and it doesn't -- throws every RSS post in moderation. I've tried all variations with no luck ... any ideas? I don't want to uninstall as it really has curbed the spam registrants!!!

Thanks for the useful information. :)

Consider turning off auto-moderation for the time being and enjoy the reduced spammers on the board from the other features. I will look into why RSS is being ignored in the meantime.

Iguana Goddess 11 Sep 2010 03:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2096486)
Iguana Goddess, I have attached a version 1.2.7 here for you to see if it fixes your issue. If it doesn't, this feature may not work for you due to the older version of vB that you are running. Still wondering if your Moderation Tools option to Delete Posts As Spam is working for you.

If the attached gets rid of those errors and works, please let me know and I will make it an official release for the 3.x series of vB.

(fingers crossed)

No didn't work the errors are still there, thanks for trying though. I will just go back to an earlier version and manually submit which is good enough for me. It catches all the submitted spammers which makes myself and my staff members happy.

sas forum 12 Sep 2010 05:20

Quick question for this mod.

I know we can go in an see the log of spammers that were denied registration because something came back in akismet or stopforumspam. I have tried to help keep SFS up to date by manually submitting data from those logs, but I am giving up on that as it takes way too long.

Is there any way to add an option where all registrations that are denied automatically get submitted to SFS? The mod already has our API key, and submitting the spammer data automatically would make sure that the SFS database is updated to show that the email, ip, username, is being used right now and with whatever frequency.

In stopforumspam, we have the ability to go in and delete spammers that we submitted if we find out it was a false positive, so automatically submitting the spam data when registration is denied seems like it would be a great addition.

Just a thought, this is a great mod, my favorite and most used for sure. This mod is actually so useful, that I would have paid money to get my hands on it.

Thanks for everything.

djbaxter 12 Sep 2010 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas forum (Post 2096973)
I know we can go in an see the log of spammers that were denied registration because something came back in akismet or stopforumspam. I have tried to help keep SFS up to date by manually submitting data from those logs, but I am giving up on that as it takes way too long.

Is there any way to add an option where all registrations that are denied automatically get submitted to SFS? The mod already has our API key, and submitting the spammer data automatically would make sure that the SFS database is updated to show that the email, ip, username, is being used right now and with whatever frequency.

You've been wasting your time. If the spammer is already in the rejected logs, then SFS already has them. You've been submitting duplicate information.

BadgerDog 12 Sep 2010 12:14

Installed 1.27 yesterday ...

Submitted a test case (not in their database) by manual submission to StopForumSpam site at that time ....

As of today, it still hasn't appeared ... Wouldn't it be a good idea to have feedback to the manual submitter in the log or on the screen that this action has been accepted by their site etc.?

Second observation ...

Just had my first legitimate spam poster since 1.27 installed. They made one post which appeared as moderated, so I assume your Akismet check got them as I don't have the moderate posts enabled in your in 1.27? Anyway, I selected "delete as spam" and chose to ban the user as well as delete all their posts. When I submitted it, the screen cleared and some strange black (maybe dark gray) screen flashed by, one that has a lot of text on it, however the text was dark against the dark background, so I really couldn't read it except it was an entire screen full of data (looked like a forum display maybe?).

The screen returned to a readable format and I went to check the StopForumSpam site. The name of the user I banned was immediately there as the last name in my spammers listing, so, at least this test seemed to work, but the manual one hasn't so far ..

Hope this helps ...

Regards,
Badger

cagbaazee 12 Sep 2010 14:50

Hi.. I have install it but cannot find where is it in my forum. Can u tell me where it is locate. Thanks

GlowHost.com 12 Sep 2010 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerDog (Post 2097058)
Installed 1.27 yesterday ...

Submitted a test case (not in their database) by manual submission to StopForumSpam site at that time ....

As of today, it still hasn't appeared ... Wouldn't it be a good idea to have feedback to the manual submitter in the log or on the screen that this action has been accepted by their site etc.?

Second observation ...

Just had my first legitimate spam poster since 1.27 installed. They made one post which appeared as moderated, so I assume your Akismet check got them as I don't have the moderate posts enabled in your in 1.27? Anyway, I selected "delete as spam" and chose to ban the user as well as delete all their posts. When I submitted it, the screen cleared and some strange black (maybe dark gray) screen flashed by, one that has a lot of text on it, however the text was dark against the dark background, so I really couldn't read it except it was an entire screen full of data (looked like a forum display maybe?).

The screen returned to a readable format and I went to check the StopForumSpam site. The name of the user I banned was immediately there as the last name in my spammers listing, so, at least this test seemed to work, but the manual one hasn't so far ..

Hope this helps ...

Regards,
Badger

I suggest using delete posts as spam until version 2 comes out which is a lot slicker than this version.

As for the logs and indication of submission success, it is also in version 2.

sas forum 13 Sep 2010 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by djbaxter (Post 2097049)
You've been wasting your time. If the spammer is already in the rejected logs, then SFS already has them. You've been submitting duplicate information.


I checked with SFS. If they are in there today, and I do not report them, then maybe tomorrow they will have been in there 11 days total (since last reported), with nobody reporting them because they are already in there.

If someone has their spam-o-matic to only go back 10 in the SFS DB, then this spammer would not have given a hit if the last submission was 11 days back (not within the 10 day window). If I had submitted them "yesterday", then they would have got a hit and I could have helped keep one spammer off someone elses site.

Not sure if that make sense, but eventually, if the spammers stop getting reported, based on how far you set the spam-o-matic to go back in the SFS DB, if they are never reported after the ifrst reporting, eventually they will not get a hit for someone. It is actually in everyone's best interest to report them even if they are already in there. This keeps their list up to date so they are still shown as "active".

Hope that made sense above.

sas forum 13 Sep 2010 04:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagbaazee (Post 2097089)
Hi.. I have install it but cannot find where is it in my forum. Can u tell me where it is locate. Thanks

Go to AdminCP / Settings / Options / then scroll through the list and look for Glowhost - Spam-o-matic.

You can also see the logs at AdminCP / Statistics and Logs / Glowhost-Spam-o-matic logs

GlowHost.com 13 Sep 2010 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by VIPER-MAN (Post 2096470)
This is working somewhat but I am encountering the same problem others have mentioned .... it conflicts with the automatic RSS poster ... I have an ADMIN account (News) that automatically posts based on various RSS feeds ... SpamOMatic puts these threads in Moderation mode no matter what I try. The NEWS user has over 3,000 posts and my settings have the cut off at 6 posts so it should not be moderating this user.

My settings:
---------
vBulletin Spam Scanning: Disabled
Akismet: Disabled
Auto-Moderation: Enabled
Min Post Count: 6
Url Count: 0

It should be ignoring the NEWS user and it doesn't -- throws every RSS post in moderation. I've tried all variations with no luck ... any ideas? I don't want to uninstall as it really has curbed the spam registrants!!!

By the way, if someone wants to show me this in action I might be able to find a fix for it faster if it is really an issue with Spam-O-Matic. I cannot duplicate it so if someone wants to let me login to their admincp to see the problem it might lead to an answer sooner. I need to be able to duplicate it in order to fix it.


Quote:

Is there any way to add an option where all registrations that are denied automatically get submitted to SFS?
As another member mentioned there isn't much point to that, though your followup post makes sense in relation to keeping them active on the SFS list.

However the AIM is to report people who have actually posted spam on your boards, not to report the ones that tried to register using information already found in the SFS DB. That could lead to more false positives then needed especially in regards to IP addresses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas forum (Post 2096973)
...this is a great mod, my favorite and most used for sure. This mod is actually so useful, that I would have paid money to get my hands on it.

Thanks for everything.

You are welcome :) You can still pay money if you like :) A nomination for MOTM would be good, we are starting to trail in the rankings!

Alfa1 15 Sep 2010 15:20

Its nice to see 3 important hacks combined.
Is there any chance to also get:
- minimal registration speed check
- hidden registration fields (that only bots can see)

That would make this complete.

GlowHost.com 15 Sep 2010 15:52

Its possible.

I like the sound of the first one but am not sure how useful the second one would be since the spammers that code the bots are people, and they generally are going to want to see the fields that they are trying to defeat when they program their bots.

If a bot doesn't know what to put in a field, it will be bank, the same as a human who can't see the field. This might also cause accessibility problems for some people who rely on bots like screen-readers to do things for them.

Maybe I missed the concept of the second idea though.

Alfa1 15 Sep 2010 16:53

Many vb boards have mandatory custom profile fields. Spam bots need to fill these in to register. Every board has different custom fields, so spammers have little chance to anticipate. It would be easy to add invisible fields with standard names. If you add a hidden profile field named 'Interests' then chances are that a bot will recognize this and fill it in. There used to be a addon that did this, but cant find it ATM.

Two other suggestion that would make this anti-spam suite complete are:
  • Bad behaviour: http://www.bad-behavior.ioerror.us/d.../how-it-works/
  • Option to disallow disposable email domains from registration. There is a list here. People can easily add the list to the email ban list, but it would be far more useful to have a centrally updated list. (doesnt need to be updated more than once every few months) And most admins do not realize the problems that disposable email addresses pose.
BTW: Many boards are getting a lot of profile spam these days. Does this addon deal with that or is that something that needs an additional solution?

GlowHost.com 15 Sep 2010 17:34

Thanks for the suggestions, it would be good to have a central DB of disable emails, I agree.

This does not deal with profile spam, or blog spam at the moment. Those are planned for a later release. The primary purpose is to block registrations of known-spammers, then moderate the ones that are able to sneak past so that they never get as far as being able to spam in the first place.

Alfa1 15 Sep 2010 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2098676)
then moderate the ones that are able to sneak past so that they never get as far as being able to spam in the first place.

Does that mean that you aim to add cookie based multiple account detection for banned accounts?

This addon works very well: Multiple Account Detection & Prevention
It seems a perfect combination with your addon. (as is vmail)

GlowHost.com 15 Sep 2010 22:40

Probably not. Only people use cookies and spammers are rarely people. The other thing is people can delete cookies.

What I meant was that if they get past the blacklist checks then in the current version if they do anything "spammy" they will generally be caught by auto-moderation and moderated.

In version 2 all new members are placed in a new usergroup which has (configurable) limited permissions. If they make it past X posts they will graduate to the standard registered users group. If they do anything spammy in either group they will be moderated, until they are no longer checked for automatic moderation based on your postcount settings.

Your spammer would have to be a very persistent and bored person to make it to the registered users group and if they are that much of a pain in the butt then banning their IP from your server is always an option. I think it would be a rare day.

Alfa1 15 Sep 2010 23:20

I do use a usergroup for new users, which they can only get out of if they receive 5 reputation points. That does work like a charm. Post count is something that spam bots seem to recognize, as they just start posting like crazy to get more than X posts. That caused me to put it the post count at 50. My staff catches them well before they can make that, as they are there around the clock.

I would expect that same about cookies, but I actually catch a very substantial number of spammers trough cookie. Happens every day.

Even after all of the above (including all of my suggestions and multiple account detection) we still get spammers, that try to circumvent the links block, in various creative ways. All these measures did get rid of 99% of all spam though, so its vital functionality for me.

To get an idea: I get 7.000 registrations attempts per month, of which 4.000 are successful and have confirmed their email and passed all spam checks. I have 3.000 banned members.

maidos 16 Sep 2010 04:44

a suggestion for spammers who already are a memebe on the board, how do you preven them, you know they dont only spam by posting thread but they also spam all members on pm with the llinks so how can this mod prevent further spam

GlowHost.com 16 Sep 2010 18:46

There is not much you can do about existing spammers with this mod. This mod prevents them from getting on the boards in the first place. You should probably install it now to prevent more bad guys from signing up, then start working on your existing spammers using alternative means.

onehost 17 Sep 2010 04:19

here is one.

I have people / spammers registering on my forum...but afterwood disappear
into nothingness, no trace of the members name or anything...

this is what i find in spam matic log:

Venusian Arts PUA Spam-O-Matic Tagged ip - 98.64.196.143 - Spammer Found but allowed

It says it has identified the spammer, but has allowed the spammer.

So i can not find any record of the member in non-validated to registered to banned,
the member record is just no where to be found....

on another signup attempt, I get this one:

No Username Submitted Spam-O-Matic Tagged email - (email) Spammer Found but allowed.


Whats going on?

ramtha 17 Sep 2010 08:56

1 Attachment(s)
thanks its strong to stop spam
but when i tried to update any username file in my forum i face this note :


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

by the way : the note apear again when i sign out from forum !!!

any solutions plz ??

GlowHost.com 17 Sep 2010 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehost (Post 2099414)

I have people / spammers registering on my forum...but afterwood disappear
into nothingness, no trace of the members name or anything...

this is what i find in spam matic log:

Venusian Arts PUA Spam-O-Matic Tagged ip - 98.64.196.143 - Spammer Found but allowed

It says it has identified the spammer, but has allowed the spammer.

That is because you have:
StopForumSpam: Desired Action
Set to: Log and continue with registration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehost (Post 2099414)
So i can not find any record of the member in non-validated to registered to banned,
the member record is just no where to be found....

on another signup attempt, I get this one:

No Username Submitted Spam-O-Matic Tagged email - (email) Spammer Found but allowed.


Whats going on?

What is going on is that Spam-O-Matic detected bots and sent the to the vBulletin registration system. If you do not see them as registered users, the bots either failed on the vBulletin registration form, or did not click the email validation, etc.

Meaning they passed the Spam-O-Matic firewall and then where they went from there is anyone's guess.

GlowHost.com 17 Sep 2010 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramtha (Post 2099501)
thanks its strong to stop spam
but when i tried to update any username file in my forum i face this note :


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

by the way : the note apear again when i sign out from forum !!!

any solutions plz ??

Try running the 1.2.7 beta and see if it works for you. You can download it from this post.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...&postcount=220

Let me know how it goes.

onehost 17 Sep 2010 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2099603)
That is because you have:
StopForumSpam: Desired Action
Set to: Log and continue with registration.



What is going on is that Spam-O-Matic detected bots and sent the to the vBulletin registration system. If you do not see them as registered users, the bots either failed on the vBulletin registration form, or did not click the email validation, etc.

Meaning they passed the Spam-O-Matic firewall and then where they went from there is anyone's guess.

I guess it is doing its job then...

I would prefer to have real visitors rather then spam traffic....

which do nothing for me...

I guess I can not complain, if I did have real traffic then they
would not be bothered much by spammers as it is doing its job.

ramtha 17 Sep 2010 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2099613)
Try running the 1.2.7 beta and see if it works for you. You can download it from this post.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...&postcount=220

Let me know how it goes.


thank u very much

its working :)

best regards

Alteran Ancient 18 Sep 2010 16:04

I get the following error...

Quote:

Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxx/httpdocs/includes/functions_ghsom.php on line 386
Upgrading to 1.2.7 Beta does not seem to resolve it for me. Currently on vB 4.0.6

GlowHost.com 18 Sep 2010 17:15

For those of you that have not voted yet, now is the time!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249712

Please vote for us for this months Mod Of The Month!

Snookieboy 19 Sep 2010 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2100084)
For those of you that have not voted yet, now is the time!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249712

Please vote for us for this months Mod Of The Month!

I voted for you dude, your 2nd at the moment. I really hope it can move to 1st, because this is now so important for me when installing forums!!! Good luck. :)

6FRGaming 19 Sep 2010 20:50

I'm getting the same error:
/includes/functions_ghsom.php on line 386

Running 4.0.5

GlowHost.com 19 Sep 2010 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alteran Ancient (Post 2100054)
I get the following error...

Upgrading to 1.2.7 Beta does not seem to resolve it for me. Currently on vB 4.0.6

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6FRGaming (Post 2100640)
I'm getting the same error:
/includes/functions_ghsom.php on line 386

Running 4.0.5

This doesn't seem to be a widespread problem which leads me to believe that you guys are running other mods perhaps. If I am correct in my guess, have you tried temporarily disabling the other mods one by one to see if the error goes away? That way we can find where the conflict might be.

Also 6FRGaming View Post that isn't the full error I guess. Do you have the full error?

6FRGaming 20 Sep 2010 02:15

Mine was the same error as above, and it gave me the error whenever I tried PMing the banned person, or doing anything with a banned person.

I noticed that whatever action I was doing still happened, despite getting the error. So not a big deal, but kind of weird.

strotti 20 Sep 2010 10:09

Same problem like ramtha in 1.2.6 and 1.2.7beta on a 4.0.7 while banning a user:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.


pakatosu 20 Sep 2010 13:33

the best way is to remove the spammer from your database , not to ban , because you lose more time .. then for the GlowHost maybe if you can add a MASS REMOVE USERS :) because i have a lot of new accounts created who are robots :-s

Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in [path]/forum/includes/functions_ghsom.php on line 386 only i add the option : Remove user , delete all posts and report to StopSpamForum ... (i think is because the users dosen't have any post 100% ) but at least to not showing that error anymore or to write something "the user dosen't have any post " depends of the error .. keep it up , is very good the mod .

thanks

pedigree 20 Sep 2010 13:45

Suggestions

1. Use the vBulletin class_vurl instead of native curl, less trouble and then its vbulletins fault for "mysql gone away" errors

2. wrap the process in this so that vbulletin deals with reg errors first, thus not having to deal with excess logging

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

and finally, some credit for reusing my code wouldnt go amiss.

GlowHost.com 20 Sep 2010 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedigree (Post 2100910)
and finally, some credit for reusing my code wouldnt go amiss.

Its in the script description top of every page,

You and MonkeyStop are in there :)

pedigree 20 Sep 2010 14:22

I must be going mad (well, thats a gimme) or blind as I cant see it :) Anyway, best of luck, Im way to busy with the database site so Im glad someone picked this up

There are a couple of other things that I had in vbStopForumSpam 0.7 that never made it out the door. one was calling all three fields from the API to cut down on the api calls for busy forums and the other was this one...


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Fixes a possible false hit.

.. casted my vote :)

edit : oh wait, now I see it

swag 21 Sep 2010 05:20

Hey i installed v1.2.4 on a 3.8.6 board. Suddenly couldn't make any new threads with images in cause the threads got placed automatically in the moderation queue

I found out that it was the spam o matic mod that was causing the problem so i uninstalled and tried the newest version 1.2.6 but the same problem still occour?

Any fix on this would be very appreciated

GlowHost.com 21 Sep 2010 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookieboy (Post 2100606)
I voted for you dude, your 2nd at the moment. I really hope it can move to 1st, because this is now so important for me when installing forums!!! Good luck. :)

Thank you for voting for us for Mod of the Month! I am glad you find the tool useful :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedigree (Post 2100920)
There are a couple of other things that I had in vbStopForumSpam 0.7 that never made it out the door. one was calling all three fields from the API to cut down on the api calls for busy forums and the other was this one...


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Fixes a possible false hit.

.. casted my vote :)

OK Pedigree, I have added this into the bugtracker I will see that it gets added into the next major release. (v2.0)

Thanks for the vote for MOTM and code contributions of course!

GlowHost.com 21 Sep 2010 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakatosu (Post 2100906)
the best way is to remove the spammer from your database , not to ban , because you lose more time .. then for the GlowHost maybe if you can add a MASS REMOVE USERS :) because i have a lot of new accounts created who are robots :-s

Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in [path]/forum/includes/functions_ghsom.php on line 386 only i add the option : Remove user , delete all posts and report to StopSpamForum ... (i think is because the users dosen't have any post 100% ) but at least to not showing that error anymore or to write something "the user dosen't have any post " depends of the error .. keep it up , is very good the mod .

thanks

If this is specifically related to trying to ban users with no posts, it would be good to know if that is the same thing the others are doing who have reported this error.

I suppose this is not a show-stopper bug as "Delete Posts As Spam" handles this process without error.

However, if reporting users who have no posts is the root of this problem, this should not happen in version 2.0 as it will be impossible to report users who have no posts.

The admin ban function will be removed in favor of a mod to the moderation tools menu in the postbit which fires the removal wizard directly from the front-end instead of having to login to admincp to get rid of the user.

It is similar in the way that version 1.x works now when using "Delete Posts As Spam" is used, but much slicker.

mmackinnon 21 Sep 2010 14:10

Ok

First I love this app. Especially the ability to ban, remove posts and sent to stop spam website in one click. However, it has since stopped working for me.

When i choose the options ban, remove all posts and send to sopt spam i now get this error message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in /home/crna/includes/functions_ghsom.php on line 386

Here is the actual lines from that php, 385 - 389.


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.


If i simply choose to ban user and send to stop forum it seems to work fine, but when i choose the remove all posts that is where the error occurs. Then after the error when i go through the control panel to try and find "all user posts" so i can delete them it says their are none yet they are still there in the forum. In order to delete them I have to go into the forum itself, into the user profile on the forum find all posts then delete them.

Very odd

EDIT:

Ok upon further testing my "find posts by user" function through admin cp all the sudden no longer works at all... WTH? Ideas?

GlowHost.com 21 Sep 2010 14:59

Well, scripts don't generally just break unless something changed. Something probably changed on the server itself, or with your vB installation if other things not related to Spam-O-Matic do not work. Perhaps you have some other mods causing issues, or your host changed php version, or your forum was compromised. It can be a number of things.

mmackinnon 21 Sep 2010 15:26

Hey

Well at this point nothing new has been done except for the vbexperience recent update, my server company has not changed anything and as far as i can tell there isnt any breech in the forum...

How can i track this down? It does seem that find posts works on some users and not on others.

GlowHost.com 21 Sep 2010 16:55

Does disabling this mod change anything? Does disabling other mods change anything? That is the first place to start.

mmackinnon 21 Sep 2010 17:36

Hey

Yah that was the first thing i tried,

disabled glowhost -> still cannot find posts on random users
disabled vbexperience -> same

not sure what to do..

GlowHost.com 21 Sep 2010 17:42

Well, if the mods are not doing it it must be in the forum code itself. May need to re-install vB or ask vB to do it for you. Hopefully you are running the latest secure version of vB.

mmackinnon 21 Sep 2010 18:36

Hey

Yah im runnin 4.0.6 and i put in a support ticket as well.

I did an update post count and got similar errors..

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at [path]/includes/adminfunctions.php:3692) in [path]/includes/functions_ghsom.php on line 378

GlowHost.com 21 Sep 2010 19:03

How do you get that? Trying to submit a user from the admincp? If yes, with which options? Does the user you are trying to submit have any posts?

mmackinnon 21 Sep 2010 19:43

Hey

That error is through the admin cp -> maintenance -> update counters -> Update Post Counts

And i get a LONG list of these:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2101493)
How do you get that? Trying to submit a user from the admincp? If yes, with which options? Does the user you are trying to submit have any posts?


GlowHost.com 21 Sep 2010 22:47

@mmackinnon
Did you try the 1.2.7 beta mentioned a few posts back?

In any case if you can wait a little while longer for version 2.0 I just tested what you said on our boards and cannot duplicate it. In any case it should not affect processing, its just ugly.

mmackinnon 21 Sep 2010 23:09

Hey

I do not mind waiting for 2.0 as this isnt a major issue, just annoying. When do you estimate it will be released?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2101592)
@mmackinnon
Did you try the 1.2.7 beta mentioned a few posts back?

In any case if you can wait a little while longer for version 2.0 I just tested what you said on our boards and cannot duplicate it. In any case it should not affect processing, its just ugly.


GlowHost.com 21 Sep 2010 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmackinnon (Post 2101598)
Hey

I do not mind waiting for 2.0 as this isnt a major issue, just annoying. When do you estimate it will be released?

It all depends on if we win Mod of the Month this month or not :) In any case sometime after the 1st of Oct

mmackinnon 21 Sep 2010 23:47

Ok great ;)

Alfa1 21 Sep 2010 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2101370)
However, if reporting users who have no posts is the root of this problem, this should not happen in version 2.0 as it will be impossible to report users who have no posts.

Maybe Im not understanding it correctly, but what about profile / blog spammers? We get quite a lot of them, as they are trying to avoid the required post count for posting links. Would be good to report them to stopforumspam when we ban those spammers.

GlowHost.com 22 Sep 2010 22:04

We will probably add functions for this in a later release but chances are they are not going to make it into the blogs or profiles if you place them in the "New Users" group which requires a certain amount of legitimate posts before they are moved to the registered users group. The Registered Users group may or may not have blog or comment permissions based on your settings.

Your New Users group (Newbies) should not have profile or blog options available to them, and should have a very limited feature set.

Once they have proven their worth, they graduate to registered users. What you do with them from there is up to your personal configuration settings in vBulletin.

Alfa1 23 Sep 2010 01:13

Profile fields are very useful to identify valid signups. Problem is that spammers will fill these fields with spam links. Blog can be restricted by usergroup settings. Profile fields are part of registration.

GlowHost.com 23 Sep 2010 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iguana Goddess (Post 2096165)
I'm getting an error in the admin panel when I submit to SFS after updating to the newest version..

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/external/2010/09/16.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramtha (Post 2099501)
thanks its strong to stop spam
but when i tried to update any username file in my forum i face this note :


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

by the way : the note apear again when i sign out from forum !!!

any solutions plz ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alteran Ancient (Post 2100054)
I get the following error...

Upgrading to 1.2.7 Beta does not seem to resolve it for me. Currently on vB 4.0.6

Quote:

Originally Posted by strotti (Post 2100853)
Same problem like ramtha in 1.2.6 and 1.2.7beta on a 4.0.7 while banning a user:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Try the new 1.2.7 that I have put up on the main download page. This should resolve the issue for most (hopefully all) of you.

PS Mod Of The Month Votes are needed!! We are about 7 votes behind the leader. :)

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249712

Please cast your vote in the poll if you like this mod!

tattooz 23 Sep 2010 16:52

When I click submit user to StopForumSpam.com in the users profile in the AdminCP, then I go to the website and look in My Spammers, they are not listed. I have the right API key, is there something else I need to do?

GlowHost.com 23 Sep 2010 17:18

Your best bet is to ask that question on the StopForumSpam.com website. They have a forum in there that may have the answer or you can surely ask them if there is some delay before the results become available when submitting details via the API.

tattooz 23 Sep 2010 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2102300)
Your best bet is to ask that question on the StopForumSpam.com website. They have a forum in there that may have the answer or you can surely ask them if there is some delay before the results become available when submitting details via the API.

This is their response.........
From our point, no, a correct API is all you need but youll need to ask the author about the rest, on the vbulletin thread as I dont think he comes here too often.

So, they are throwing it back to you.

GlowHost.com 23 Sep 2010 19:24

I don't run their website so I have no idea where it goes after you submit it. I just know it ends up in their database. They might be doing something like not displaying the results immediately to conserve on server resources, but they will know the answer for sure.

Try to submit some garbage user that you have made on your forum, then try to register again with that address after submitting it to SFS, it should be detected by the SPam-O-Matic firewall when you try to register again.

But for the sake of keeping this thread on topic, please post the URL to your thread on their forum so that others with the same question can get the answer. I will post over there and try to get a better answer as well, once I have the link.

mmackinnon 24 Sep 2010 01:31

Hey

I installed this today. Have not tested it yet (no opportunity to) BUT I did do the update post counts which is where I was able to get the error before and it is now fixed. So seems to me you figured it out dude. I voted for you as mod of the month. You deserve it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2102257)
Try the new 1.2.7 that I have put up on the main download page. This should resolve the issue for most (hopefully all) of you.

PS Mod Of The Month Votes are needed!! We are about 7 votes behind the leader. :)

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249712

Please cast your vote in the poll if you like this mod!


Jenkins 24 Sep 2010 04:27

after installing the mod, I get error 500 when a user tries to register. The username is created, but e-mail is not dispatched and member isn't notified. Also when deleting a user form admincp I get error 500 as well. Disabling the product makes everything function normal. Any suggestions?

GlowHost.com 24 Sep 2010 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmackinnon (Post 2102486)
Hey

I installed this today. Have not tested it yet (no opportunity to) BUT I did do the update post counts which is where I was able to get the error before and it is now fixed. So seems to me you figured it out dude. I voted for you as mod of the month. You deserve it.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenkins (Post 2102537)
after installing the mod, I get error 500 when a user tries to register. The username is created, but e-mail is not dispatched and member isn't notified. Also when deleting a user form admincp I get error 500 as well. Disabling the product makes everything function normal. Any suggestions?

500 is an Internal Server Error. Which usually means a file permissions or .htaccess issue. You can check or have your server admin check the logs to see what they say regarding the Internal Server Error. Maybe your host can fix it for you. But befoe asking them, you should try to re-upload the files per the install documentation. Perhaps you are missing something or something was corrupted during your FTP session. Once uploaded make sure you have the proper permissions set and that the file is owned by the correct system user..

atcspaul 24 Sep 2010 17:59

kinda off subject but i use glow host for all 4 of my forums and been with them 3 years plus. great service and great people for those looking for hosting. them knowing vbulletin is a big plus also

VIPER-MAN 25 Sep 2010 20:55

Unfortunately, after installing the latest version (and upgrading to vb4.07) this breaks the user editing function after you ban a user and ask to include their posts to be deleted. If I try to edit any user via the control panel, I get a DB error. If I try to send a PW confirmation reminder, same thing ... database error. I disable the product and everything works normally.

Database error in vBulletin 4.0.7:

Invalid SQL:
DELETE FROM tfltm_post WHERE userid=4388);;

The userid is the banned user and his posts. Now, on any user editing function, this error is generated.

GlowHost.com 26 Sep 2010 13:30

I have not tested 4.0.7 yest because it just came out, but really because I had not planned on it due to it being a maintenance release.

I generally don't update our forums unless there is a security release or major bug fix for reasons such as this. In other words I don't like introducing more bugs into my forums unless it is really important reason to upgrade, like a security release.

I will have to see if any others on 4.0.7 have this issue. That said, if any 4.0.7 users have the same issue please let me know and I will see about getting a fix out there.

atcspaul 27 Sep 2010 22:31

after installing version v1.2.7 i went to log out to test things and got this message

Warning: require_once(includes/functions_ghsom.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in [path]/includes/class_dm_user.php(1853) : eval()'d code on line 3

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/functions_ghsom.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/stcroixl/public_html/includes/class_dm_user.php(1853) : eval()'d code on line 3



after i uninstalled i was able to log out no problem. i am using the latest version vbulletin 4.0.7. i hope we can get this working with it

GlowHost.com 27 Sep 2010 22:43

Paul, did you have this working before on an earlier version or just tried to install it now?

The first error says that you have not uploaded the files to the correct location or that they are corrupt. Please checkout the readme file and make sure you have uploaded everything correctly.

Since I see from a previous post, that you are a GlowHost customer we can probably handle this for you if you are not sure how to get the files where they need to be.

atcspaul 27 Sep 2010 22:50

ya i need some help. all i did was upload the html file. guess i did it wrong let me see if i can figure it out. thank you for quick reply. gonna try again now. you all see why i like glow host. service is awesome.

atcspaul 27 Sep 2010 23:09

ok not sure what i am doing. so i uploaded each file separate to my root from upload file which would be. this is my first try. i never did before

glowhostspamomatic.php in admin cp file
functions_gshom.php from includes fil
bitfield and cpnav files from the html folder

last but not least uploaded the product in admin panel and it still didnt work. got errors. i am sure i am doing something wrong but not sure what (:

GlowHost.com 28 Sep 2010 01:01

Hi Paul,

It looks like one of the techs has your vBulletin admincp logins at our helpdesk.

He is going to do a fresh install of this mod on your 4x board.

GlowHost.com 28 Sep 2010 01:08

Whoops, I spoke too soon. I see you didn't provide the logins...

My understanding of the ticket is that you want instructions on how to do this correctly yourself. I think its a good idea. Learning the basic principles is commendable.

I am eager to hear your report.

atcspaul 28 Sep 2010 02:09

awesome we got it working with 4.0.7 and i tried most functions and everything works great. thank you glow host. just nominated this mod for motm. i tried the banning, editing threads, banning a member and unbanning and it all works fine. thank you for the great support glowhost. as you know i am an older gentleman with very limited computer skills but learning every day

atcspaul 28 Sep 2010 04:20

i just installed by myself this time on vbulletin 3.8.3 forum :) no problems i can find. it actually stopped 2 registrations within the first 15 minutes it was installed. thanks for your help.

Alecsmith 28 Sep 2010 11:00

excellent tool i am facing less problem with spammers after i installed this add on thanks :)

TeknoSounds 29 Sep 2010 02:44

Greetings, I have found a bug.
When looking at the logs I came across this as a link:
Found in Akismet Database. Held for moderation:

When clicking it it doesn't redirect to the right location. The link points at: http://website.com/modcp/moderate.php?do=posts
vs
http://website.com/messageboard/modcp/moderate.php?do=posts

Looks like it was hardcoded vs trying to pull the bburl variable.

onehost 29 Sep 2010 02:59

I do not say this offten, but I think this is one of the best spam mods you can
have on your forum, and if you do not use this, then you deserve the spam
you get :) and I do not even fully have it enabled. My forum has been up for
40+ days, and not one spammer bot has gotten past registeration. I see more
spam bots try, rather then real traffic...I wonder if i should just open a spam forum :)
Use this mod along with duplicate accounts, no proxy, and you cant go wrong.

GlowHost.com 29 Sep 2010 03:02

Hi TeknoSounds,

Your are correct. It is already fixed in 2.0 along with a slew of other log fixes. Thank you for the report in any case. We will hopefully see you back here in a couple of weeks when 2.0 becomes public. :)

TeknoSounds 29 Sep 2010 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2104458)
Hi TeknoSounds,

Your are correct. It is already fixed in 2.0 along with a slew of other log fixes. Thank you for the report in any case. We will hopefully see you back here in a couple of weeks when 2.0 becomes public. :)

ha, that's awesome, thanks! :D Can't wait for 2.0.

ceho 29 Sep 2010 13:05

Installed on vB 4.0.7, so far no issues, works perfectly and effective.

Nominated motm!


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2021, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.