vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115070

Copyright Ownership of Posts
by Ashiro
08 May 2006 15:26

I was just wondering what the copyright status of posts on a message board are?

Do they belong to the site owner or the poster?

The reason I ask is I inherited an entire community that was kicked out of its board after the admin threw a mard. The oppurtunity recently came about for me to get one of the threads from the old board and I could post it - for nostalgia and reminiscing purposes.

If I was to get permission from the original posters could I repost them or does the site owner control the copyright?

Paul M 08 May 2006 15:31

I think it depends on what you agreed to when you joined. Many sites T&C's include a section saying you transfer ownership of the post contents to the site.

Ghostsuit 08 May 2006 15:43

As paul says it's really all down to the T&C that people agree to when they join the forum.

Ashiro 08 May 2006 15:48

I'm 99% sure that the default disclaimer/agreement was used and so the copyright would lie with the poster.

As most of the posters are still around all I need to do is get permission of them individually to report them.

Many thanks everyone.

phill2003 08 May 2006 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
I think it depends on what you agreed to when you joined. Many sites T&C's include a section saying you transfer ownership of the post contents to the site.


I bet they dont, if they do that and take resposibility for things posted they leave themselves open to law suits..........

Mine says although the copyright remains with the poster the mere act of posting it grants me certain rights with it the main one being i can keep/edit or delete it as i see fit but i do not have copyright.........

Asi9ine 08 May 2006 20:18

Ashiro, your board looks promising. Hope you don't mind, but can I ask you where you got the Wiki program from? I found a script before, but it included all content, not just the content my forum would provide. I run a field-specific forum, so I would like to know if that's possible.

And I believe all content to be the sole property of the owner. They thought up the message, they posted it. If it is not a message worthy of being part of the discussion, that does not lie with the owners of the forum. That lies squarely with the idiot who posted it. If you point this out in your Rules, you will be able to quote them when needed.

Freesteyelz 09 May 2006 00:42

Interesting subject. :)

Paul M 09 May 2006 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by phill2003
I bet they dont, if they do that and take resposibility for things posted they leave themselves open to law suits..........

Not everyone is based in "sue em all" America ;)

Tony G 09 May 2006 02:09

This isn't more of a copyright issue but a contracual one..

If you had something like that in your T&C, yes those posts are yours but it does not mean by a long shot that they are copyrighted. You'd have to take further steps than that. The only legal right you have is that if those posts are used elsewhere without your permission, then you'd be able to sue for breach of contract. So don't get the two mixed up. ;) There are different processes for both and definitely a lot of ways out being binded by a contract. But the way vBulletin do it - it would work in the legal world.

(Don't hold my word on this though, but I think I've got it right)

Freesteyelz 09 May 2006 02:19

As a joke on my forum for years in my signature I had certain phrases that ended with . Of course it didn't hold water.

phill2003 09 May 2006 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony G
This isn't more of a copyright issue but a contracual one..

If you had something like that in your T&C, yes those posts are yours but it does not mean by a long shot that they are copyrighted. You'd have to take further steps than that. The only legal right you have is that if those posts are used elsewhere without your permission, then you'd be able to sue for breach of contract. So don't get the two mixed up. ;) There are different processes for both and definitely a lot of ways out being binded by a contract. But the way vBulletin do it - it would work in the legal world.

(Don't hold my word on this though, but I think I've got it right)


The thing i would be more worried about is someone putting something on my site with claiming ownership and then getting into a court case because of it and and the content, This has happened in more countrys than just america as well.

I prefer just to let the people who post keep ownership of the content but for as long as i want it i can keep it.

Tony G 10 May 2006 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by phill2003
The thing i would be more worried about is someone putting something on my site with claiming ownership and then getting into a court case because of it and and the content, This has happened in more countrys than just america as well.

I prefer just to let the people who post keep ownership of the content but for as long as i want it i can keep it.

The only person who can take them to court is you. In a contract, the two parties are the only one who can sue.

I don't know where you get this info about other counties doing it.. but they have different contract law so. But one things for sure - there's no copyright on the posts.

Erwin 10 May 2006 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
I think it depends on what you agreed to when you joined. Many sites T&C's include a section saying you transfer ownership of the post contents to the site.

But do you or your site really want to be responsible for what another person says? :)

Freesteyelz 11 May 2006 03:20

It doesn't matter in the court of law, actually. The site owner can be held accountable for the information that's on their site regardless of any clause or agreement.

Erwin 11 May 2006 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freesteyelz
It doesn't matter in the court of law, actually. The site owner can be held accountable for the information that's on their site regardless of any clause or agreement.

The current law in most Western countries seem to be that the more control you have over the posts (i.e. moderation) the higher your responsibility for the content of the posts. However, this is obviously a separate issue to ownership of copyright. :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2021, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.