vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=314195

When quoted, whole author name and a phrase are a link to original post
by Alan_SP
08 Sep 2014 22:02

1 Attachment(s)
It's a simple enhancements how quote BBcode shows itself.

In case that there's author's name and postid of quoted post, whole text (phrase plus authors name) becomes link, not just small image at the end of text. Many users don't know that this small image is actually link to original post, but with this, they maybe start use it more often.

Example is here:

Attachment 150331

On my site links in posts are red at the moment, so it's obvious what's a link, and what isn't. In code I left both image (first for quoting and second image that originally is a link to original post)

To achieve this, you first need to find template bbcode_quote

Then you need to find this code:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

and replace it with this code:


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

If you want, you could remove one or both images.

If you apply it, because posts are cached, only new posts will reflect this change immediately. So, you need to post new post with some quoted text with authors name and postid to see how it looks like on your site.

final kaoss 05 Nov 2018 23:34

Seems interesting, does it work with 4.2.5?

Alan_SP 06 Nov 2018 19:31

If they didn't changed html, of course. This is just change in links' scope, nothing else. Even with a bit different html, you can change links' scope easily.

scottkoz20 18 Nov 2018 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by final kaoss (Post 2597232)
Seems interesting, does it work with 4.2.5?

it does - though I think it might be better to click the link to trigger to the member profile page or start a PM to the member... just a thought

I can see someone saying that the link "doesn't work" on my site :erm:

Alan_SP 18 Nov 2018 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottkoz20 (Post 2597447)
it does - though I think it might be better to click the link to trigger to the member profile page or start a PM to the member... just a thought

Well, I think you missed what's discussed here. This is for quotes, so you want link to original post. There, after you follow link to original post you can access user's profile, send PM, or whatever you want.

scottkoz20 18 Nov 2018 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan_SP (Post 2597454)
Well, I think you missed what's discussed here. This is for quotes, so you want link to original post. There, after you follow link to original post you can access user's profile, send PM, or whatever you want.

I know exactly what was/is being discussed here. I was only giving something that I believe would be more useful for my site along with answering kaoss's question about working on 4.2.5

Alan_SP 18 Nov 2018 20:41

This is simple template modification, to change links' scope. But, for adding other links, you'll need to have some modification (i.e. much more coding, accessing database to know who original author is, as in quote it is only textual info, without real link to user's ID).

scottkoz20 18 Nov 2018 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan_SP (Post 2597456)
This is simple template modification, to change links' scope. But, for adding other links, you'll need to have some modification (i.e. much more coding, accessing database to know who original author is, as in quote it is only textual info, without real link to user's ID).

yes - no disagreement

If/when I make any adjustments, I'll pass it by you first to ensure you are good with me posting any updates

Alan_SP 19 Nov 2018 20:10

There's no need, I tagged it reusable, anyone can make changes as they like them. So, go ahead, do whatever you want.


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2022, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.