vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

djbaxter 10 May 2012 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF|Skyrider (Post 2327896)
Is there anyway I can submit users through their profile if they haven't post anything?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crotan (Post 2327897)
Don't think so, the whole point of submitting a spammer, is that there is a submitted spam post/evidence with their user info.

Exactly. If someone hasn't spammed, why would you submit them to a spam database? If people start doing that, the spam database becomes useless.

CharlieDelta 10 May 2012 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by djbaxter (Post 2327982)
Exactly. If someone hasn't spammed, why would you submit them to a spam database? If people start doing that, the spam database becomes useless.

90% of the spammers that I get don't get the chance to post because they don't seem to get past the advanced forum rules check that I have. This is site wide and no one can post until they accepted these rules.

This option would be userful to me, but I have not pushed for it because I can see how it could be abused.

djbaxter 10 May 2012 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieDelta (Post 2328018)
90% of the spammers that I get don't get the chance to post because they don't seem to get past the advanced forum rules check that I have. This is site wide and no one can post until they accepted these rules.

This option would be userful to me, but I have not pushed for it because I can see how it could be abused.

If they post spam but the post is moderated, then submit them to the database. If they don't get a chance to post at all, they're not spammers (yet) and should not be submitted.

Skyrider 11 May 2012 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crotan (Post 2327897)
Don't think so, the whole point of submitting a spammer, is that there is a submitted spam post/evidence with their user info.

Quote:

If they post spam but the post is moderated, then submit them to the database. If they don't get a chance to post at all, they're not spammers (yet) and should not be submitted.
I personally disagree. And I think this states the obvious:

Quote:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xx - Used by 17 users.
Users: loans_online_bc07, payday_UK0420, same_day_loanb07, credit_check_ loansA30, payday_loans_bb07, Instant_AA24, cash_loansCAS23, online_insurance419, payday_loans0419, payday_UK_AA30, cash_loansAA03, cash_loansAA24, Bad-credit-loans23, advance_onlineAA03, instant_onlineAA03, loans_online0420, cash_loansBB24
And I have over 100 more accounts like these. Plus their profile information (URL, etc) are showing all kinds of advertisement links.

With other anti-spam methods I installed, they can't even post. But that doesn't stop them in registering. Spam-O-Matic, or in this case stopforumspam isn't 100% bot-stop-proof and I'd like to submit them to stopforumspam (the easy way) but I can't because they haven't posted.

Gripi 11 May 2012 18:55

hi..

i think it will be great if "when submit post to spam o matic", it have an option to give the Infraction point, not permanent ban.

Skyrider 11 May 2012 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gripi (Post 2328495)
hi..

i think it will be great if "when submit post to spam o matic", it have an option to give the Infraction point, not permanent ban.

I hope you do realize that the Spam-O-matic is meant to perm ban bots. Why would you want to Infract those AI? (Artificial Intelligence). Bots are not real humans, they are programmed to spam (usually advertisements) on other people's forums. There is no point in Infracting bot users.. They are meant to be banned and or removed entirely.

djbaxter 11 May 2012 23:33

I do agree that sometimes the email address or member name is a giveaway that might warrant submitting to the database.

Try this...

1. Admin CP >> Plugins & Products >> Add New Plugin

2. Product = vBulletin

Hook Location = useradmin_edit_column1

Title = Submit to StopForumSpam.com

Execution Order = 5

Plugin PHP Code:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Plugin is active = Yes

3. Save

rolfw1 13 May 2012 10:17

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for that, will give it a try, I have 30+ spam registrations a week, below is a typical selection. Everyone of those is a bot of some sort and whilst the majority don't post, they are still spam.

It would be really nice to have a form for new users like the one shown in the image, but with tick boxes on the right for banning and submitting to the database.

BadgerDog 13 May 2012 10:49

I've done some searches in this post, but so far I can't find the answer ...

I'd like our moderators to be able to see the Spam-o-Matic logs so they can check if they get an email from someone claiming they were rejected at registration as being a spammer.

Currently, they don't see those logs, so is there a way of turning on an option so they can?

Thanks for any feedback ... :)

Regards,
Doug

djbaxter 13 May 2012 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolfw1 (Post 2328941)
Thanks for that, will give it a try, I have 30+ spam registrations a week, below is a typical selection. Everyone of those is a bot of some sort and whilst the majority don't post, they are still spam.

It would be really nice to have a form for new users like the one shown in the image, but with tick boxes on the right for banning and submitting to the database.

For spambots, I identify the IP address and block them as IP ranges at the server level: xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24 - otherwise, it's way too much work trying to keep up with them.

Syxguns 14 May 2012 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerDog (Post 2328945)
I've done some searches in this post, but so far I can't find the answer ...

I'd like our moderators to be able to see the Spam-o-Matic logs so they can check if they get an email from someone claiming they were rejected at registration as being a spammer.

Currently, they don't see those logs, so is there a way of turning on an option so they can?

Thanks for any feedback ... :)

Regards,
Doug

BadgerDog,
There is a way to do it, but I would not suggest it. You would be giving the moderator a little too much access to the administrator panel, where damage could be done. You don't even want SuperMods to have that kind of access.

BadgerDog 14 May 2012 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syxguns (Post 2329160)
BadgerDog,
There is a way to do it, but I would not suggest it. You would be giving the moderator a little too much access to the administrator panel, where damage could be done. You don't even want SuperMods to have that kind of access.

Thanks.. appreciate the feedback .. :)

I wonder if there's a way of getting the code to output a text file so the mods can download and check it that way?

Regards,
Doug

HondaATC 15 May 2012 02:01

I keep getting a user reporting that they are blocked from registration because they are spam...Is their user agent or something causing it? Any ideas?

Syxguns 15 May 2012 04:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaATC (Post 2329445)
I keep getting a user reporting that they are blocked from registration because they are spam...Is their user agent or something causing it? Any ideas?

First make sure that you are not blocking username in the AdminCP. A lot of us learned that with that feature on, many legitimate submissions were being blocked. Also check the log file to see if it tells you why they are being blocked. If it is an IP conflict, then the only thing you can do is register for them, unless you want to turn off SOM temporarily.

HondaATC 15 May 2012 15:05

That was enabled. Turned it off and I'll send him an email to try it again. Hopefully that fixes it :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2022, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.