vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

mrbigandwonderf 03 Feb 2011 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by maokaang (Post 2158270)
Have you uploaded the glowhostspamomatic.php file into your admincp folder?

Correct

StephenOcVa 04 Feb 2011 05:17

Thank you for this! I've been wasting a couple of hours per day checking new registrations for spammers and deleting and reporting those found. Installed this a couple of hours ago and it's working great.

lloyd_mcse 04 Feb 2011 13:26

Great plugin, I have 1.2.7 installed on vb 3.8.3 with both keys.
Pre install I had between 60 - 100 spam registrations per day and the last 24 hrs, I was notified once about a new user but by the time i got to moderate them the system had already delt with it and deleted them - Superb
Brilliant plugin guys thanks.

ElfenLied1337 04 Feb 2011 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by maokaang (Post 2158125)
@mrbigandwonderf
@ElfenLied1337

There are two instances of 'modcp' in upload/includes/functions_ghsom.php. Change both instances in that file to match the name of your modcp folder to prevent the 404 errors.

Either that, or wait for version 2.0 - scheduled for release 1st Feb ;) - which apparently solves that issue and several others.

Thanks mate, works now.

CheeSie 05 Feb 2011 15:58

I'm having problems with this mod.
My RSS Poster bot is not being allowed to post the stuff it finds.. I also have another scheduled task that wont be allowed to post.
If I run these two scheduled tasks through the admin CP and I launch them manually, they work just fine.. But when they're being run automatically it wont allow them to be posted.
I disabled this mod and they worked fine.. Any fix?

maokaang 06 Feb 2011 01:51

Hi CheeSie

Yes, see here for your answer. We're eagerly awaiting the release of Version 2.0 :)

GlowHost.com 06 Feb 2011 03:53

Thanks for your support maokaang :)

2.0 is coming soon! Just some final rounds of testing I am hoping for Monday, but Monday's are pretty bust at my "regular" job. so, lets say this week we should have something for all you good people.

Thanks everyone for the praise, it's great to know that what we did is helping and appreciated.

OldSchoolDSL 06 Feb 2011 04:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowHost.com (Post 2159233)
Thanks for your support maokaang :)

2.0 is coming soon! Just some final rounds of testing I am hoping for Monday, but Monday's are pretty bust at my "regular" job. so, lets say this week we should have something for all you good people.

Thanks everyone for the praise, it's great to know that what we did is helping and appreciated.

I think I can speak on behalf of the majority of the community, when I say that I look forward to your next release & deeply am thankful for the work you have placed into this modification. This is been the #1 modification to which has kept spam out of my community. :)

cyberchief 06 Feb 2011 04:29

Well.... I have only read through this last page... can't imagine what is coming in the "new release" to make this better... but as it is, this is my #1 mod. In fact... had it not been for this mod... I might have just deleted my entire forum and gone fishing! I have had this installed since day 3... And I can't imagine what I would have done without it. this has worked so perfectly... I am afraid to even upgrade when the new version releases.... I have only had 2 successful spammers... and that was when recaptcha was broke. I since installed another mod that allows both recaptcha and question/answer... and have not had a single spammer since. I can't believe this is FREE!!!!

MGSteve 06 Feb 2011 08:45

A new user got blocked because he used the same username as a spammer 'fox', but that was all that matched. Surely the mod should not block someone just becuase they choose the same username as a spammer?

Sure, if the email address matches then it should be an automatic rejection, but if any of the other checks return positive alone, then it shouldn't reject the registration?

8thos 06 Feb 2011 22:45

What's the point of this when Question and Answer stops spam?

Palehorse74480 06 Feb 2011 22:51

No it does NOT, in fact it does not slow them down nowadays. I wouldnt bother with captcha or Q an A... They just blow right through it. It is a myth that Q an A stops them.

Alfa1 06 Feb 2011 23:34

Q&A can be effective if you use questions that only your members can know and some 3rd world person that is hired to register accounts, can never answer. But that is quite difficult to do for sites that are not in a specific niche.

I certainly am very appreciative in regards to SOM and SFS.

woodscooter 07 Feb 2011 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGSteve (Post 2159295)
A new user got blocked because he used the same username as a spammer 'fox', but that was all that matched. Surely the mod should not block someone just becuase they choose the same username as a spammer?

Sure, if the email address matches then it should be an automatic rejection, but if any of the other checks return positive alone, then it shouldn't reject the registration?

This is a very real problem with automatic blocking. I can see how a short common word like 'fox' is not unique enough in this case.

Also, with dynamic IP address changes, some innocent user can be blacklisted because a spammer was assigned that IP a week ago...

I would like to see this mod assign values to each of the three factors, say 11 points for an email address match, 7 for an IP match and, for a username that matches the blacklist, one point for every character in the name.

The tripping point could be set initially at a total of about 10 points, but adjusted by the forum admin to suit the individual circumstances.

It would also be useful to modify the total points by the length of the Q & A response, if there is one. I find spammers often pour out all their rubbish into the Q&A response, whereas a "proper" answer is 10-20 characters only, (and never includes a URL).

Late edit- That would be difficult to do, because the spam check precedes registration, so any Q&A response would not be known when the 'spammer' decision is being made.

WS.

Krusty1231 07 Feb 2011 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchoolDSL (Post 2159235)
I think I can speak on behalf of the majority of the community, when I say that I look forward to your next release & deeply am thankful for the work you have placed into this modification. This is been the #1 modification to which has kept spam out of my community. :)

Totally agree.

Thanks for this.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.14
Copyright © 2022, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.