vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=299371

Adblock Alert
by TheInsaneManiac
21 Jun 2013 22:14

6 Attachment(s)
This is a minor port of my 3.8.x modification found HERE.

Demo
http://www.consolediscussions.com/forum/


To purchase and view more information on our pro version of Adblock Alert, please visit my
Products & Services!

The pro version has the following features, and includes free updates:
Redirect users of abp
Early Access New Features
All Future Updates To PRO


To-Do
Enable/Disable
Auto Template
Link into default notification system
Usergroup settings
Redirect if ABP detected
Cookie system to only display message once per session
Color of message
Index only option
Add location of message
New type of alert style

This is a minor port, I am working now to fully port everything over along with a premium version.

I use Google Adsense on my website and considering Google Adsense is not malicious, I feel no need for adblocking software of any kind.

Therefor I have created this system which will alert members that ads are used to support the server. Wait... What's that? You don't want to annoy a member with constant alerts? No worries! This system works off of cookies, so once the member views the alert, they won't be bothered by it anymore.


Installation
1.) Upload the contents of the "upload" folder to your forums root directory.
2.) Perform template edits
3.) Mark Installed. =]


Template Edits

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

After add:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.


FAQ
Q: Why is it not working?
A: Make sure you uploaded everything and installed the mod. Also make sure template edits are completed.

Q: How does this work?
A: I've used adblocking software against them. I've made a fake advertisement which is never displayed on the forums, but is within the coding. Since the soul purpose of adblocking software is to of course... block ads. It blocks this advertisement, in which the script checks to see if the advertisement loaded. If not, the alert is displayed.


Changelog
0.3.2
Color now fades when hovering over alert

0.3.1
Cookie system brought to free edition

0.3.0
Changed Alert Style

0.2.0
Auto Template Edit

0.1.0
Release.

Nirjonadda 21 Jun 2013 22:22

So Its manual Template Edits modifications? Please make sure your work up To-Do List than try to Release.:up:

davidg 22 Jun 2013 00:32

works fine with opera and firefox having adblock plus enabled
dont work with SuperBird browser having adblock plus and Chromeblock from Abine enabled

TheInsaneManiac 22 Jun 2013 04:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirjonadda (Post 2429667)
So Its manual Template Edits modifications? Please make sure your work up To-Do List than try to Release.:up:

I've already almost completed the Auto Templates by going through a hook. I'm going to try to put the final touches on the cookie script and see where we can go from there. Hopefully will release it shortly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidg (Post 2429681)
works fine with opera and firefox having adblock plus enabled
dont work with SuperBird browser having adblock plus and Chromeblock from Abine enabled

I've never heard of that browser, I've tested it in all the known ones, what is it doing in SuperBird? Any screenshots?

davidg 22 Jun 2013 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheInsaneManiac (Post 2429695)
I've already almost completed the Auto Templates by going through a hook. I'm going to try to put the final touches on the cookie script and see where we can go from there. Hopefully will release it shortly.


I've never heard of that browser, I've tested it in all the known ones, what is it doing in SuperBird? Any screenshots?


sorry i dont have screenshots i still did a fast test with IE8 and Superbird and the addon is not working with them(maybe is only me) but works fine with Opera and Firefox.
SuperBird is Chromium based.

TheInsaneManiac 13 Aug 2013 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidg (Post 2429794)
sorry i dont have screenshots i still did a fast test with IE8 and Superbird and the addon is not working with them(maybe is only me) but works fine with Opera and Firefox.
SuperBird is Chromium based.

I've changed the design and a little of the coding, it appears to be showing in those browsers for me now.

Also 0.3.1 is now released! Cookies are added to remember if a users clicks the close button, and will not show the alert again until cookies are cleared. Coming soon is a redirect option, permissions, and more!

Bacon Butty 13 Aug 2013 15:46

Looks great so far, well done. I will be sure to keep a close eye on this!

final kaoss 13 Aug 2013 16:46

Just something I thought about, what does google think about these messages being displayed to not use adblock, because they have a section that someone can use to report a site for "encouraging users to click ads"?

While your default text doesn't exactly say that, what would happen if a user submitted your site to the adsense guidelines for that rule?

Bacon Butty 13 Aug 2013 17:22

Installed and the navbar alert is working just great. How do I have the Red Box along the side as per screenshot and Demo?

TheInsaneManiac 13 Aug 2013 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by final kaoss (Post 2438658)
Just something I thought about, what does google think about these messages being displayed to not use adblock, because they have a section that someone can use to report a site for "encouraging users to click ads"?

While your default text doesn't exactly say that, what would happen if a user submitted your site to the adsense guidelines for that rule?

I've already clarified with them, their response was they in no way endorse or support Adblock Plus, and as long as you aren't encouraging to click the advertisements, then they do not care.

They despise abp, remember a few months back they removed abp off Google Play and Chrome market place?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon Butty (Post 2438669)
Installed and the navbar alert is working just great. How do I have the Red Box along the side as per screenshot and Demo?

Did you install the 0.3.1 version?

bzcomputers 16 Aug 2013 05:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheInsaneManiac (Post 2438710)
Quote:

Originally Posted by final kaoss (Post 2438658)
Just something I thought about, what does google think about these messages being displayed to not use adblock, because they have a section that someone can use to report a site for "encouraging users to click ads"?

While your default text doesn't exactly say that, what would happen if a user submitted your site to the adsense guidelines for that rule?

I've already clarified with them, their response was they in no way endorse or support Adblock Plus, and as long as you aren't encouraging to click the advertisements, then they do not care.

They despise abp, remember a few months back they removed abp off Google Play and Chrome market place?

This sounds about right. The latest news you can search on is Google is actually paying Adblock Plus to show some of their ads. Certainly would be more monetarily beneficial to Google if everyone used an add-on like this.


......


There are a couple issues in the CSS of this addon (v.0.3.2):

Need some quotes around the div id. This is currently stopping the new opacity change from working.

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

and the <strong> is not working correctly, I just went with a span style:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Also setting the cookie for 365 days seems excessively long. If someone is going to install this add-on they don't want users using an adblocker. If I understand it correctly once the first warning is closed a cookie is set, and with the current coding it appears the warning will not come up again for 365 days (or until the cookie is cleared). This may be something that should eventually be an option the user can adjust but until then maybe something like 7-14 days would be a better number.


Edit: This also does not work in the CMS section. (same as your TOR Alert)

TheInsaneManiac 27 Aug 2013 19:07

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bzcomputers (Post 2439115)
This sounds about right. The latest news you can search on is Google is actually paying Adblock Plus to show some of their ads. Certainly would be more monetarily beneficial to Google if everyone used an add-on like this.


......


There are a couple issues in the CSS of this addon (v.0.3.2):

Need some quotes around the div id. This is currently stopping the new opacity change from working.

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

and the <strong> is not working correctly, I just went with a span style:

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Also setting the cookie for 365 days seems excessively long. If someone is going to install this add-on they don't want users using an adblocker. If I understand it correctly once the first warning is closed a cookie is set, and with the current coding it appears the warning will not come up again for 365 days (or until the cookie is cleared). This may be something that should eventually be an option the user can adjust but until then maybe something like 7-14 days would be a better number.


Edit: This also does not work in the CMS section. (same as your TOR Alert)

Yea I had the opacity fixed in tor alert, but haven't gotten around to fixing it in Adblock alert yet. I'm a one man army here haha. I will have to find a different hook to latch into for the CMS. <b> would also work too, but I believe <strong> was retired in newer versions of html, so that is why I believe it does not work. I will replace in future versions. That shouldn't be a problem. I'll actually probably pull some features from Proxy Alert aka Tor Alert into Adblock Alert. I'll also see about adding an option to change the days the cookie stays for those who are looking for a lesser persistent option. Also below you will see attached a screenshot where Google states that this modification is golden in their eyes.

bzcomputers 28 Aug 2013 00:31

You may even want to include that email screenshot with the mod download. I believe this mod would be much more popular if everyone wasn't so paranoid about Google Adsense dropping them from the program for using it. There are some horror stories out there about people breaking Google Adsense Terms Of Service and being dropped. The email screenshot should set many at ease.

Now for my numbers and conclusions...
I've been running this mod for about 3 weeks now and I can say over that time my Adsense pageviews are up a minimum of 3%. I calculate this by taking my Google Analytics pageviews and comparing them to my Google Adsense pageviews and concluding the difference in reported pageviews are from those that use ad blocking software. This is as accurate as could think of doing it considering all my pages have at least one ad. This difference in pageview counts between the two decreasing 3% means an additional 3% of my pages are now showing ads. In addition, over this same period of time that my adsense pageviews are up 3% my CTR has also been up about 12%. From this I can also conclude that those who have now turned off their ad blockers for my site are now clicking on ads at least as often or at an even higher rate than those who didn't have it turned on to begin with. So, at a minimum I can conclude my profits are up somewhere over 3% for a five minute install of this mod.

In actuality...
I believe the above mentioned 3% is a very conservative number. I believe the actual impact is even higher but I can't prove it outright. The reason I believe it is higher is that many adblockers also block analytics tracking code (i.e. block Google Analytics) which many of you may not have known. For instance Ad Blocker Plus by default on install will completely block Google Analytics tracking code. So, not only are Ad blockers not allowing your ads to show but your site analytics are off too because ad blocking programs are also blocking your site tracking code from working. Considering that, I can also conclude that at least some on the increase in overall pageviews shown on Google Analytics over this same 3 week time period are also related to users disabling their adblocking software.

I don't have the busiest site on the net, but I do have thousands of visitors daily and haven't had one comment or complaint so far about the anti-adblock pop-up this mod displays. I currently have the code set to show once a week - so those repeat visitors who have not shut off there adblocker (yet!) have seen it 3 times now - still no complaints.

TheInsaneManiac 28 Aug 2013 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzcomputers (Post 2441556)
You may even want to include that email screenshot with the mod download. I believe this mod would be much more popular if everyone wasn't so paranoid about Google Adsense dropping them from the program for using it. There are some horror stories out there about people breaking Google Adsense Terms Of Service and being dropped. The email screenshot should set many at ease.

Now for my numbers and conclusions...
I've been running this mod for about 3 weeks now and I can say over that time my Adsense pageviews are up a minimum of 3%. I calculate this by taking my Google Analytics pageviews and comparing them to my Google Adsense pageviews and concluding the difference in reported pageviews are from those that use ad blocking software. This is as accurate as could think of doing it considering all my pages have at least one ad. This difference in pageview counts between the two decreasing 3% means an additional 3% of my pages are now showing ads. In addition, over this same period of time that my adsense pageviews are up 3% my CTR has also been up about 12%. From this I can also conclude that those who have now turned off their ad blockers for my site are now clicking on ads at least as often or at an even higher rate than those who didn't have it turned on to begin with. So, at a minimum I can conclude my profits are up somewhere over 3% for a five minute install of this mod.

In actuality...
I believe the above mentioned 3% is a very conservative number. I believe the actual impact is even higher but I can't prove it outright. The reason I believe it is higher is that many adblockers also block analytics tracking code (i.e. block Google Analytics) which many of you may not have known. For instance Ad Blocker Plus by default on install will completely block Google Analytics tracking code. So, not only are Ad blockers not allowing your ads to show but your site analytics are off too because ad blocking programs are also blocking your site tracking code from working. Considering that, I can also conclude that at least some on the increase in overall pageviews shown on Google Analytics over this same 3 week time period are also related to users disabling their adblocking software.

I don't have the busiest site on the net, but I do have thousands of visitors daily and haven't had one comment or complaint so far about the anti-adblock pop-up this mod displays. I currently have the code set to show once a week - so those repeat visitors who have not shut off there adblocker (yet!) have seen it 3 times now - still no complaints.


I am happy to hear my modification has increased revenue in your website, I will be continuing to develop the modification to bring more features here soon. I have already added an option to change the time the cookie is stored. This will be in the next version. I def appreciate the feedback, I know with use on my forums (I use almost all my mods I create on my forums) I saw an increase in revenue as well. Instead of me getting checks every 2 months, I now get checks every month. So that's definitely handy. I will make sure to include the screenshot with future versions when these other projects I am working on die down. Thank you for the idea and suggestions. :)

bzcomputers 09 Jan 2014 03:13

Had to disable this mod. Google has started to use this mods text as the description for many of my sites pages.

Edit: Happened to be just a result of the keywords that were searched (the domain name) that was causing this.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:53.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.12
Copyright © 2018, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All Rights Reserved. vBulletin® is a registered trademark of MH Sub I, LLC
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.