vBulletin Mods

The Official vBulletin Modifications Site
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=155386

Akismet - spam detection
by El_Muerte
16 Aug 2007 10:50

4 Attachment(s)
Akismet is an spam detection engine that is mostly used by blogs to check the comments for spam. But it can also be used for forum posts. It is not a definite protection against spam.

This plugin for vBulletin 3.6 will check every thread and reply if it is considered as spam. If it is spam it will put the offending thread or reply in the moderator queue.

In order to use Akismet you need to get a API key. You can get one by signing up on WordPress. The Akismet service is free for personal use. Check the Akismet website for more information.

This vBulletin plugin is available under the terms of the GNU Lesser Public License.

Installation instructions are available in the ZIP archive.

Features
  • Scan for spam in new threads and post
  • Scan content edits
  • Automatically put identified spam in the moderation queue
  • Report posts as spam or ham (individual post or through inline moderation)
  • Limit spam detection to post count and user groups
  • Extendable through hooks

Changelog
v1.3
  • Added an akismet activity log in the admincp

v1.2
  • Fixed an invalid URL issue when using cURL

v1.1
  • Option to send parsed post data
  • Option to send additional webserver request data for the initial spam check
  • Removed product version query
  • Added extra information when reporting a post
  • Only check API key when entered in the vBulletin options, not for every Akismet request

v1.0
  • Various bug fixes: report post submitted wrong data; few missing phrases
  • More code documentation
  • This plugin now exposes some hooks that others can use to extend the feature set. Like give users infractions when posts are considered spam.

v0.3
  • Added options to exclude posts from checking based on user's postcount and usergroups
  • Added mass reporting of ham/spam through the inline moderation system.
  • Improvements of the internal code

v0.2
  • Check spam status on edits
  • Add report as ham/spam functionality (requires template edit)

El_Muerte 16 Aug 2007 10:55

I welcome any feature suggestions and code additions. Feel free to help me improve this mod.

Zia 16 Aug 2007 11:34

nice to see...hope we'll find it very much usefull

BadgerDog 16 Aug 2007 11:48

Installed..... :)

Thanks for your efforts.... :up:

I'm so sick of banning and deleting spammers who register and login, starting threads about prescription drug sales or pornographic sites.

I hope this works as I've never handled moderated threads before. I'm not even sure how that function works in vBulletin.

Regards,
Badger

Edit: Question: NM, got it figured out and now have "Quick Moderation" page appearing on Home Page. Thanks.

El_Muerte 16 Aug 2007 21:43

Ok, version 0.2 has ham and spam reporting.

When you encounter a spam message that was not detected simply press the red flag to submit that message as spam. This will increase the chance that the message will be detected as spam the next time. In the same way you should report a message as ham (green flag) when it was detected as spam. A successful report will automatically mark the post and put it in or remove it from the moderation queue. Of course only forum moderators will be able to report posts as ham or spam.

The red exclamation icon tells you the message has been identified as spam.

BadgerDog 16 Aug 2007 22:45

In the process of updating to 0.2.... :)

It says we need to modify the template postbit.....

Should we not also modify the template postbit_legacy as well, if boards use it?

Thanks

Regards,
Badger

BadgerDog 16 Aug 2007 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Muerte (Post 1319155)
Of course only forum moderators will be able to report posts as ham or spam.

Since there is no place in this mod that I can find to identify who is a forum moderator or not, can I assume you've defaulted to UserGroup numbers 5,6,7 (Senior Moderator, Admin, Moderator) as the basis for this?

Thanks :)

Regards,
Badger

ps: Can I make a suggestion? Instead of the phrase "ham", why not call it "Not Spam" to avoid confusion?

El_Muerte 17 Aug 2007 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerDog (Post 1319201)
It says we need to modify the template postbit.....

Should we not also modify the template postbit_legacy as well, if boards use it

Er.. yes, if your board uses it you should also update it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerDog (Post 1319216)
Since there is no place in this mod that I can find to identify who is a forum moderator or not, can I assume you've defaulted to UserGroup numbers 5,6,7 (Senior Moderator, Admin, Moderator) as the basis for this?

no usergroup check, it simply relies on vBulletin's API. if the user has privileges to moderate posts in a forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerDog (Post 1319216)
ps: Can I make a suggestion? Instead of the phrase "ham", why not call it "Not Spam" to avoid confusion?

"ham" is the going name for "not spam", you could simply change the phrases that use "ham".

BadgerDog 17 Aug 2007 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Muerte (Post 1319261)
Er.. yes, if your board uses it you should also update it.

Done... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Muerte (Post 1319261)
no usergroup check, it simply relies on vBulletin's API. if the user has privileges to moderate posts in a forum.

Yup, tested it various ways logging in as just a normal user and it works fine... thanks.. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Muerte (Post 1319261)
"ham" is the going name for "not spam", you could simply change the phrases that use "ham".

I didn't know that... must be getting old... ;) I think 'll change the phrases locally... :up:

Nice mod... now I'm just waiting for a spammer to show up so I can see what happens. :D

I assume this doesn't put a performance (or bandwidth consumption) drain on the system when it's checking externally against their database?

Thanks again...

Regards,
Badger

sensimilla 17 Aug 2007 08:28

I used to have it installed, its a great modification, thanks for the update.

El_Muerte 17 Aug 2007 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerDog (Post 1319265)
I assume this doesn't put a performance (or bandwidth consumption) drain on the system when it's checking externally against their database?

Depends on what you call a drain. Post will only be checked when they are created or edited. Only the post body (and a few other pieces of information) will be send to the akismet servers. This traffic is much less than an average user viewing the forum.

Starting from 0.3 you can limit the spam checking a bit. E.g. don't check spam for users in certain usergroups and/or check users with less that X posts (defaults to 50). Spammers are usually new users. No real need to check with established users.
50 might be a bit on the high side since it would take the user 50*post delay before he will get around the spam checking. For example if your post delay is 30 seconds it will take the spammer at least 25 minutes before he can start spamming the forum and get away with it. Of course the each post being made must be a valid post.

AlexanderT 17 Aug 2007 12:08

Nice mod, especially like your improvements!

BadgerDog 17 Aug 2007 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Muerte (Post 1319459)
Depends on what you call a drain. Post will only be checked when they are created or edited. Only the post body (and a few other pieces of information) will be send to the akismet servers. This traffic is much less than an average user viewing the forum.

Starting from 0.3 you can limit the spam checking a bit. E.g. don't check spam for users in certain usergroups and/or check users with less that X posts (defaults to 50). Spammers are usually new users. No real need to check with established users.
50 might be a bit on the high side since it would take the user 50*post delay before he will get around the spam checking. For example if your post delay is 30 seconds it will take the spammer at least 25 minutes before he can start spamming the forum and get away with it. Of course the each post being made must be a valid post.


Great feedback, that's what I suspected about bandwidth and load.... :)

Your 0.3 enhancements (and logic) are right on the money. Spammers on our systems are usually one-timers. They show up, go through the registration process including even doing the email validation, then they post 1 or 2 messages selling porno, drugs or cameras in a couple of public forums. We catch them, ban them and move on.

So, your usergroup check and amount of posts made measurements are exactly how to maximize the mod and minimize the activity.

Thanks for your efforts... :up:

Regards,
Badger

BadgerDog 17 Aug 2007 12:51

Ok, in .3, I added the additional template change to showthread for in-line moderation, but I can't see anywhere what it does?

Edit: Never mind.... found it... was looking in the wrong place ... very nice design...

Thanks... :)

Regards,
Badger

projectego 17 Aug 2007 15:35

/me clicks install


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2001 - , vbulletin.org. All rights reserved.