Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23 Apr 2017, 18:23

Question VB 3.8.9 import into 3.8.9

I have two VB 3.8.9 databases and I'm trying to import one into the other,. First I used the most recent Impex and when that didn't work I tried the old (last VB version) of Impex and that didn't work either.

In both cases on the very first step, the Database Check, I click to start it and the request just seems to freeze/time out the page. No data gets returned, Chrome displays it's "sad face" for a broken page.

No database error is generated and no PHP errors are logged.

After this anytime I reload the admincp and click on the Impex link it just times out in the same way.

I like to think at this point I have a pretty good idea what is going on but really at a loss right now- I'm thinking a server problem but I can't confirm that.
Comments
Old 23 Apr 2017, 18:29

Is it causing an internal server error (500)? If so, I believe in some cases it's logged in the error logs of the webserver and not of PHP.

Contact me for custom vBulletin 3/4 work & server/website management.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 18:38

Thanks, but not seeing any mention of any 500 level error messages in the log in the last couple hours (since playing with Impex.)
Old 24 Apr 2017, 22:03

Depending on the size of the target DB you might just be running into a timeout as "Check and Update database" creates the importid fields, eg. alters tables like post and user.

If that is the case i'd just add the fields manually.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 00:17

Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Depending on the size of the target DB you might just be running into a timeout as "Check and Update database" creates the importid fields, eg. alters tables like post and user.

If that is the case i'd just add the fields manually.
May well be, it was a slow machine and large db. Moved to a box with more resources and trying again.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 16:05

Well I finally got it. I believe server resources was part of it. Also despite the broken page Google returned, while I was looking up more info the page eventually loaded and got past step 1.

Then I had completely forgot, it is better to move Impex out of the admincp and run it directly. I moved the /impex/ directory from under the forum's directory to a dedicated /impex/ directory and was able to run the import. Importing 1.5 million posts into a 2 million post board took less than an hour.

The only slow step has been rebuilding the search index, I should have asked my host to run the console file, but I hope it completes today. I have to check and restart it every so often.

But the latest version of Zachery's Impex from github worked without issue on PHP 5.4.x going from 3.8.9 into 3.8.9. (I had to choose 3.7 as the import from system since 3.8 isn't an option.)

Also, all users need to have an email address or they won't import for some reason, despite the fact VB 3.x doesn't require email addresses. Once I gave them all dummy email accounts they imported fine.

I deleted the emails with a query after the import.

Thanks all.
Old 22 May 2017, 15:54

I think emails are required as after the import, you need some way to reset your email (just thinking about how the system works, I haven't looked at the code in a bit.)
Old 23 May 2017, 11:21

Makes sense. In my case the imported content was just for archiving purposes. None of the imported users were ever going to login. There is not going to be anyway to login as these users, they all have a random complex password (via mysql query) and no way to reset it.