Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02 Oct 2008, 04:01

Major spam today

Has anyone else noticed a big increase in spam bot postings and registrations today?

Today on two of my vb installations I've had 100+ posts from multiple spam accounts. Up until today I've never really got too much spam, because my boards aren't too big.

My boards @ jayscountry.ca pretty much never had a spam bot register or post, but today I've been flooded. 4 spam bots are online right now:
Currently Active Users: 8 (5 members and 3 guests)
View Who's Online
Most users ever online was 63, 12-05-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Erik, Juscuptuppobe, plupierly, TetrySozy, vaniaandkicig

*** Image removed, not suitable on vB.org ***

Two spam accounts had 24 posts... easy enough to remove the posts and ban... but then there were 15+ spam accounts with 1 post.

Any suggestions for anti-spammage and mass account removal?

JaysCountry Boards

Last edited by Marco van Herwaarden; 02 Oct 2008 at 10:57.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 06:29

reCaptcha or Q&A... i'm trying Q&A for awhile.. seems like the normal image verification is to easy for bots to pass.. or
Old 02 Oct 2008, 06:49

Some spam bots now use humans to decipher the CAPTCHA/Q&A, before automatically spamming a forum.

View My Modifications
29 Releases and Counting... Latest Modification: dmActivityStream - vBookie Integration (4.x)

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 16:10

I got hit VERY hard yesterday. I turned on the email verification (had it turned off due to some email issues from my IP) and that alone seemed to cut down about 90% of it. The bots would still register, but not be allowed to post as they were'nt verified.

I don't see a Q&A functionality in the Human Verifcation system. Is that part of vb 3.7?
Old 02 Oct 2008, 16:16

Originally Posted by StonePilot View Post
I don't see a Q&A functionality in the Human Verifcation system. Is that part of vb 3.7?
Yes

View My Modifications
29 Releases and Counting... Latest Modification: dmActivityStream - vBookie Integration (4.x)

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 16:25

Yep, I'm getting spam on my site also, I wonder why? I'm looking for an anti spam hack. Also thinking about turning on email verification as well. Any other ideas on what I should do?
Old 02 Oct 2008, 16:33

Definitely turn on email verification.

View My Modifications

Old 02 Oct 2008, 16:39

There are several posts over on vb.com about this. I may have to go back to my two Registered Usergroup system (the first one is moderated and then users get promoted to the other one which is not).

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Old 02 Oct 2008, 16:46

I've seen a significant increase in the past 3 days. I've easily deleted 50 new accounts.

We have a simple way to prevent them from posting which doesn't require moderation - I'd be happy to share it privately (just in case they're watching this forum). So we don't get offensive posts, just a little admin work to delete their accounts.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 18:21

I have too. Running 3.6.10

We've had almost 100 new registrations. I stopped the new registrations using NoSpam! Verification Mod.

I am looking for a mass delete/ban account based on criteria. Anyone know of one?
Old 02 Oct 2008, 18:34

I have probably gotten 200 spam accounts sign up in the past two days.

I don't see anything called "Q&A" or any such option listed in the Human Verification section of the vb options in the ACP. Is there another name?
Old 02 Oct 2008, 18:38

Originally Posted by StonePilot View Post
I have probably gotten 200 spam accounts sign up in the past two days.

I don't see anything called "Q&A" or any such option listed in the Human Verification section of the vb options in the ACP. Is there another name?
It's under the main vBulletin Options heading (vboptiomns > Human Verification Manager), not the second one (vboptions > vbopitons > Human Verification Options),

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
Old 02 Oct 2008, 19:07

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
There are several posts over on vb.com about this. I may have to go back to my two Registered Usergroup system (the first one is moderated and then users get promoted to the other one which is not).
Yeah, there's a 'wave' any thoughts?
Old 02 Oct 2008, 19:45

Originally Posted by iogames View Post
Yeah, there's a 'wave' any thoughts?
So far we haven't been hit, but I have posted in my Staff forum telling my Mods about this and asking them to post in that thread I made if they see it happening. I hate having first posts moderated, it causes problems in a couple of my forums. I am also thinking of adding some users to our One-touch Spam Ban hack. We have some trusted users who are always around (it seems) and they could probably see the spam right away and get rid of it. I'm tempted to turn back on the email notification in my Is Bot hack, but not so tempted to actually do it since I don't feel like getting my siteadmin account flooded!

W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
Old 02 Oct 2008, 19:49

I got hit rather hard with bot registrations yesterday, but luckily they weren't able to post any threads, however. I had about ~60 registrations yesterday, a good 90% chunk of that being bots.