Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09 Jan 2011, 02:20

1 Yr Later: Is vB4 Better than vB 3.8?

When vBulletin 4 came out back in December '09, there were a lot of compliants of how it's not as good as vBulletin 3.8. Well, it's been over a year now.

In your opinion, is vBulletin 3.8 still better than vBulletin 4?
Old 09 Jan 2011, 02:54

It is for me... I love the look and feel of vBulletin 4 vs. the dated look of vBulletin 3, and the CMS is something I've been wanting for a long time. Its not perfect, and it will only get better... but I'm all in on it and loving it.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 01:42

not really, many good mods got lost forever... :S
Old 10 Jan 2011, 02:04

Originally Posted by rob01 View Post
not really, many good mods got lost forever... :S
Thats true, but there are also mods that get lost in point releases because of developers that lose interest. The best part about vB4 for me is that the CMS eliminated 90% of my mods that I considered critical and made them part of the product. Any other mod I can live without.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 03:16

With 1000 bugs, and little functionality improvement in vb4 I see no reason to upgrade.
If the CMS gets fixed up that may change though.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:25

i am running two homepages, one with vb 4.1 and one with vb 3.8.

4.0 pro's:
- cms
- editor
- blog (categories, image blacement in blog)

4.0 con's:
- handling is not intuitive. some links & options are bad placed and not intuitive! many of my visitors have problems to use the features. many of my visitors have problems to use the forum features. still 4.0 is not really useable fore many users like old peoble ore internet amateurs...
- to many bugs!

my resume: i still do not upgrade my 3.8 installation, even if a have the 4.0 licence.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:35

Look has improved but code is mess, looks like the one who handles the look parts of vb4 had nothing to do with efficiency.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 12:15

Do you guys have some specific examples of what features in vb4 you find so hard to use? The average forum member does only a few things... they post new threads, they reply to threads, and they search. I've migrated two forums to vb4 and haven't had any complaints about someone not knowing how to use it so far. The moderator functions are a little different, but that Delete Post as Spam function is pretty cool and my mods are liking that. The forum works. The CMS works. I'm not getting what all the negative hoopla is about. I must be missing something.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 13:21

My members love vb4. No issues here.
I do have like 12 mods installed but that's fine. I usually always have alot of mods installed. ;]
Old 10 Jan 2011, 14:41

Originally Posted by mccollin View Post
Do you guys have some specific examples of what features in vb4 you find so hard to use? The average forum member does only a few things... they post new threads, they reply to threads, and they search. I've migrated two forums to vb4 and haven't had any complaints about someone not knowing how to use it so far. The moderator functions are a little different, but that Delete Post as Spam function is pretty cool and my mods are liking that. The forum works. The CMS works. I'm not getting what all the negative hoopla is about. I must be missing something.
The enhanced picture uploader. Members, including myself were confused by it. I posted a tutorial but that's confusing as well with all the arrows and numbers explaining how it's used. The old uploader serves our purpose.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 16:07

Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
With 1000 bugs, and little functionality improvement in vb4 I see no reason to upgrade.
If the CMS gets fixed up that may change though.
Agreed 100%. To answer the original poster's question....No.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 00:32

4.0 was been somewhat of a mess for me. I realize my experience may vary from others, but it has been a nightmare managing my site and trying to sort through countless bugs to get rudimentary functionality. I am now searching for a reason why I can't upload images via the CMS to articles. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to fix these small issues.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 00:46

I agree that Attachment and Album/Gallery stinks. My users have mostly given up. Album handling is terrible. Needs much better pic display features.

The forum is slower than 3.8 and uses more memory/bandwidth. Page loading is slower overall.
Search is inconsistent and mostly unusable.

BUT it is mostly stable now and is what developers are working on.
And I feel like there are fewer security issue/updates.

My approach is to stay a few versions behind now to see what happens, and wait to see what mods are updated.
We're currently running 4.0.8 (just updated).

Last edited by conradk; 12 Jan 2011 at 00:52.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 02:25

thanks so much for your feedback. I will stick with 3.8 then and maybe for years to come.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 14:33

I'm actually glad in one sense that some of you are writing it off. It will create some differentiation for those who have 3.8 vs. those with 4.x. I hope my competitors decide not to upgrade, quite frankly. I'm actually quite pleased with my site right now. I have gotten rid of a bunch of custom stuff because of the CMS and its working very well for me. The whole site looks fresh and new, and it was minimal work to get it that way. And the more I get into the CSS, the easier I'm finding it to tweak things the way I want.

The biggest improvement I'd like to see is that they integrate the integrate the widgets, forum blocks, and blog sidebar blocks so that its all one architecture. And, I'd like to see more ad management places for articles to be placed, OR, a simple way to drop in your own placement locations into templates, but still manage them via the ad management tool.

But I can certainly work around both of these for now.

The