Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:04
GameCrash GameCrash is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Real name: Andreas
Originally Posted by Zachery
GameCrash, how many people read a license before they accually use a software / program?

about 5-10% read part of it and less read the whole thing. Just because someone says you cant unless you have the power to enforce it its hard stoping them.
With what reason do you want to forbid us to do everything a license allows just because it could be others do not read a license? I'm realy not understanding the logic here...
  #47  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:07
Zachery's Avatar
Zachery Zachery is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Real name: Zachery Woods
Originally Posted by GameCrash
With what reason do you want to forbid us to do everything a license allows just because it could be others do not read a license? I'm realy not understanding the logic here...
Thats not what i was saying, many people do things that are not correct with a software even if they do read the license, try reading the whole MS EULA when you install WindowsXP next time.

My point is someone is probaly going to abuse this, it sort of borders on a lockdown hack in a sense.


But Wayne did say it was going to go under review, not removed totaly, unless ive miss another one of his posts.
__________________
Looking for ImpEx?
  #48  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:07
GameCrash GameCrash is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Real name: Andreas
Originally Posted by VampireMan
If jelsoft does decide this is an "illegal" hack against their liscence system then i will forget about the fact im up for renewal. And stick with what i have.
This is an interesting point as I have got a nice email today (really) that states my license expires in one week...
  #49  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:08
VampireMan VampireMan is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Real name: chris
addon to my post. After reading the liscence again. It could be deemed that we would need written consent to have an admin.! - well it could be interprited that way anyway.
  #50  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:11
Morrus Morrus is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Originally Posted by VampireMan
addon to my post. After reading the liscence again. It could be deemed that we would need written consent to have an admin.!
No, it couldn't. There's no way the license could be interpreted to mean that. The prohibitions refer specifically to distribution of the software, and do not refer to use of it.
  #51  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:11
GameCrash GameCrash is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Real name: Andreas
Originally Posted by Zachery
Thats not what i was saying, many people do things that are not correct with a software even if they do read the license, try reading the whole MS EULA when you install WindowsXP next time.

My point is someone is probaly going to abuse this, it sort of borders on a lockdown hack in a sense.
If someone wants to do illegal things, they will start eMule and download their own vBulletin copy... Of course, it's possible to do illegal things with this hack. But then it should not be allowed for Jelsoft to sell vBulletin (well, someone could illegaly download it from eMule...). I really don't think this is my problem. Especially as nobody without a vBulletin license can download the hack from vB.org and if they have a license, you can easily fight them if they do illegal things, can't you?
  #52  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:12
hypedave's Avatar
hypedave hypedave is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Originally Posted by Morrus
I think he's referring to the vBulletin license. Your vBHosting license does, indeed, prohibit this. But it's not really germaine to the discussion.
Yes I was referring to the actual vBulletin license. Okay but here is another question I have.

John Doe has a vbulleting forum, someone approaches him and says "Hey I like your vbulletin forum, can you CO HOST a sub forum on your forum? It pretty much fits your forums and all"

Now if John Doe accepets and decides to create a new forum or sub forum, or any other words Co Host a forum on his site, is that really breaking the vb license? Cause if that is the case, not that im trying to be an a** hole, but I can point several hundred vbulletin ran sites of different genres that are doing that same thing, but with out a hack to automate the full process"
  #53  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:12
mello_mike mello_mike is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I'm with you Vampire Man... I'll switch to IPB and use their system which is just like vBHosting... that is if vB doesn't approve of this hack.
  #54  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:14
lasto lasto is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Originally Posted by Zachery
Thats not what i was saying, many people do things that are not correct with a software even if they do read the license, try reading the whole MS EULA when you install WindowsXP next time.

My point is someone is probaly going to abuse this, it sort of borders on a lockdown hack in a sense.


But Wayne did say it was going to go under review, not removed totaly, unless ive miss another one of his posts.
nope its big brother telling us what we can an cant have.The lockdown hack as previously stated can be used for anything just like the hide hack and does have its uses the same way a spoiler does but jelsoft decided pirated boards used it so they said NO and that was end of matter - no further discussion and i bet this hack falls under the same category.
Jelsoft are actually gonna make this hack SPECIAL just by removing it cause obviously some people would of already downloaded it by now ( i was`nt one cause i was to slow) and whether GameCrash decided to continue work on it or not following the Jelsoft decision i can bet it wont be the end of the hack as someone will just improve on it and make it go underground then jelsoft will have to go after all the legal boards using this hack while in the process of classing them as Pirated boards.
  #55  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:14
Morrus Morrus is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Originally Posted by hypedave

Now if John Doe accepets and decides to create a new forum or sub forum, or any other words Co Host a forum on his site, is that really breaking the vb license?
As long as there is only one installation of the software in use, no, he is not violating the license.
  #56  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:17
hypedave's Avatar
hypedave hypedave is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Originally Posted by Morrus
As long as there is only one installation of the software in use, no, he is not violating the license.

okay back to square one then, he is using only one installation of the software and using this hack, but all of a sudden he is violating the license right? Wich goes back to someone abusing this hack and using it for profits.
  #57  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:19
nighteyes nighteyes is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Originally Posted by hypedave
Yes I was referring to the actual vBulletin license. Okay but here is another question I have.

John Doe has a vbulleting forum, someone approaches him and says "Hey I like your vbulletin forum, can you CO HOST a sub forum on your forum? It pretty much fits your forums and all"

Now if John Doe accepets and decides to create a new forum or sub forum, or any other words Co Host a forum on his site, is that really breaking the vb license? Cause if that is the case, not that im trying to be an a** hole, but I can point several hundred vbulletin ran sites of different genres that are doing that same thing, but with out a hack to automate the full process"
Yep a huge number of installations do exactly what you describe. This is why Wayne has started using language along the lines of "semi-automated" and "automated" code to achieve subforums as probably being illegal. As far as all of us can tell, these terms are not strictly laid out in our licensing agreement; this language will probably appear in a revised agreement to be forced upon us in future upgrades.

Personally I think when a company starts trying to stifle creativty and innovation to boost profit margins its time to move over to another product. We'll have to see what their final determination is first of course........
  #58  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:19
VampireMan VampireMan is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Real name: chris
I would rather stay with vb , lets hope they see the benifit of a superb hack like this.
  #59  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:20
Morrus Morrus is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Originally Posted by hypedave
okay back to square one then, he is using only one installation of the software and using this hack, but all of a sudden he is violating the license right? Wich goes back to someone abusing this hack and using it for profits.
No, I do not believe he is violating the license. The license makes no reference to this issue, or to issues of profit (other than selling or leasing the software itself, which nobody is doing here). Neither are prohibited.
  #60  
Old 24 Mar 2004, 01:21
GameCrash GameCrash is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Real name: Andreas
Seeing all this from the other side, this thread is perfect pr for my hack I hadn't that many people and that many posts in that time in the hack thread
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:12.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: