Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Suppress-o-matic - Stop database error spam Details »
Suppress-o-matic - Stop database error spam
Developer Last Online: May 2012 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.x.x Rating: (7 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 85
Released: 17 Nov 2009 Last Update: Never Downloads: 389
Not Supported Code Changes Additional Files  

What is Suppress-o-matic?
Suppress-o-matic is a change to the way vBulletin handles database error emails. It limits sending the same error email repeatedly to your inbox every time a database error is generated. On a busy site if a table is crashed or mysql itself goes down you could recieve several thousand emails. This causes the email server to bog down, and possibly the server itself if there is enough traffic generating emails.

Why do I want Suppress-o-matic?
It should be pretty clear, you still get the vital information that your vBulletin forum is offline for whichever reason, without the hassle of having to delete and manage your inbox afterwords.

Why do I have to edit the files?
If the database is down, there is no way to get to the plugins. Plugins are stored in the vBulletin database.

Isn't there a vBulletin Option for this?
There is an option to disable some emails, assuming that the settings table can be read. If it cannot then it doesn't work. It even states this on the option itself.

Can't I just remove my tech email from the config file?
This doesn't keep you up to date. What if a serious error like error 28 (no space left) crops up? This means that your server could potentially have serious issues. Not resolving these problems could cause major issues.

Are you considering adding more functionality to Suppress-o-matic?
We have plans to add a repair feature at some point in time, with an on/off switch.

What is SQlite?
SQLite is a tiny database engine that is found in PHP. It is very lite, and requires only that php have the extension. There is no other dedicated server for it. You can find more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLite

Whats required?
PHP5
SQLITE2 or newer (found in most php installations)
1 file edit
1 file to upload

Future versions:
Repair table feature

Project Credits:
Zachery - Project Planning, design goals, pestering.
Link14716 - Hard work.

This works for vBulletin 4.0 as well as 3.7+. vB3 thread located here.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Administrative and Maintenance Tools Suppress-o-Matic - Stop database error spam GeekyDesigns vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 65 12 Sep 2013 20:01

Old 29 Jun 2010, 18:49

You don't have SQLite support in your php installation.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 07:44

Thank you for this... I'll have to wait until something else breaks, but hopefully this will take care of my mass e-mail problem when errors happen :P
Old 10 Feb 2011, 21:29

This wasn't working for me, the sqlitedberrors file wasn't writeable despite having the correct permissions. Maybe this was due to some obscure setting on our hardened-security server. Fortunately I found the solution by following the advice of another person with the same problem, they posted the solution on the VB3 version of this mod : http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...9&postcount=47

Using that post's advice, I moved the sqlitedberrors file to a subdirectory and adjusted the path in the code, the problem was immediately solved.

ps. earlier in this thread someone asked about how to test this mod and a suggestion was to stop the SQL server. That would work but for most people it's probably easier to just edit the /includes/config.php and change the database settings to give an incorrect username. Then visit your forum homepage 5 times, if you get more than 1 email then this mod isn't working.

Thanks for the great mod, I'm using it with 4.0.8 and can't believe this STILL hasn't been included in core.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 00:29

That does sound like a server security issue. Not sure why it shouldn't work right Glad you found out why.

This was on someones todo list in the early vB3 days (at my suggestion), but never got included.
Old 20 Feb 2011, 02:03

Hi,

So do I get any emails at all once this is installed and working?
If not how exactly do I gain the information I need to problem solve potential vital errors?

thanks
Old 20 Feb 2011, 03:24

No, you get one per error per 30 min by default. So if you only get one, and 30 min later you dont get another the error has resolved itself. If you continue to get them, you know there is a problem.

So if you got an error about a crashed table, and error 28, you'd get two emails. Instead of 2000 per min for all of your users trying to refresh.
Old 20 Feb 2011, 11:43

Originally Posted by Zachery View Post
No, you get one per error per 30 min by default. So if you only get one, and 30 min later you dont get another the error has resolved itself. If you continue to get them, you know there is a problem.

So if you got an error about a crashed table, and error 28, you'd get two emails. Instead of 2000 per min for all of your users trying to refresh.
I have vB 4.0.6 and I ended up having to remove it.

I put the sqlitedberrors.sqlite in the sqlite folder and CHMODD both file and folder to 666 and I got this...

Fatal error: Call to a member function show_chatbox() on a non-object in /home/private/public_html/keptprivate.com/forum/includes/class_bootstrap.php(394) : eval()'d code on line 33

Any ideas?
Old 20 Feb 2011, 22:05

That is an issue with annother third party addon. Not sure how our edits c ause a problem with your chatbox, but they shouldn't have. Also, you are likely required to edit the file to 777 so it is writeable.
Old 17 May 2011, 02:54

I have a more simple decision: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-12105
Patch limits email sending to 1 per minute.
Old 21 May 2011, 01:24

So you'd have 60 e-mails if the same error repeated for an hour? I'd prefer two. I'm going to tag this for later use.

Danke.
Old 06 Aug 2011, 19:18

Include this in the core

There is no reason for not including this in the core - this is less than 15 lines of code. vB can use a config flag set to default false so admins can turn it on if sqlite is supported in the hosting.
Old 06 Aug 2011, 21:10

I actually suggested this feature as far back as vB3.0 they were always plans, but it never happened.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 21:38

I installed this, and have two issues. At the top of my forums, I'm now seeing this text:

It's at the top of every page. This wasn't there until I installed this plugin. Additionally, none of my users' avatars are showing.

I backed the mod out, and the weird characters went away, but some of my users avatars are still not showing.

Using vB 4.15. Any ideas?

vB Installation: http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb & http://forums.3drealms.com
Old 19 Aug 2011, 07:33

Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I backed the mod out, and the weird characters went away, but some of my users avatars are still not showing.
It seems extremely unlikely that this mod 'Stop database error spam' is the cause of the problem, as it requires only 1 very small edit and couldn't affect avatars. I am guessing either it was another mod that you recently installed, or another change that you made to your forum (file edit, or template edit), or possibly a virus. But definitely not this mod. IMHO
Old 26 Apr 2012, 18:04

thanks, installed