Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17 Feb 2014, 00:50

Download notepad ++ and open the file in that editor, and see if there is any unnecessary characters in the file.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 01:12

Tried that, but honestly, not sure I'm qualified to assess 'unnecessary characters in the file'... would you be willing to take a look Ozzy or would it be best to contact my server host and have them revert my site to the last backup?
Old 17 Feb 2014, 01:13

Pm me a link to the site, and FTP info, and I will see if I can fix it.
You can get access to my 180 mods for vB 3.6 - 4.x at The Admin Zone as well as the professional support you are used to. New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Hits 1000 Spiders! ​ OzzModz down. Site has had a data breach, checking how the intrusion happened. Change your PW if you use the same one on my site and others.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 01:32

This has been fixed on the users site.
Attached Images
File Type: gif smile.gif (1.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 17 Feb 2014, 01:36

Cool

Originally Posted by BGObsession View Post
Tried that, but honestly, not sure I'm qualified to assess 'unnecessary characters in the file'... would you be willing to take a look Ozzy or would it be best to contact my server host and have them revert my site to the last backup?
Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
This has been fixed on the users site.
In the future for those who happen across this thread but no one is available at that time to help, simply re-download the same exact version of vBulletin form the members area then extract the .zip locally to your pc.

- Now edit config.php.new and rename it to config.php and after that simply open up both, copy/paste the new values from the old config into the new config such as database name, database username, and database password. If you see anything else that looks different copy that too such as technical email address etc and then save as config.php and re-upload to /includes/ folder to fix .

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Old 17 Feb 2014, 01:43

Funny thing is he still had the config file from vB v3.8.2 as the current one, but now it shows the correct version number, v4.2.1

Not a big deal as they are pretty much the same.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 01:44

I guess I'm not a complete idiot - I had just re-downloaded that file and was trying to figure out why I had a config.php and a config.new.php file....

Thanks for the help Ozzy - seriously, you have got to be the most knowledgeable guy on this site. Also appreciate the nudge from TheLastSuperman (you were right, using basic 'Notepad' seems to have created the problem). Thanks guys!
Old 17 Feb 2014, 01:46

config.new.php is how the file comes in the download, it is like that so you don't accidentally overwrite your config.php file.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 02:05

Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
I would imagine the widget will work now, http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=255015
Hey Oz, sorry to keep harassing you, but when I implement the above mod, it does show the widget, but it doesn't show member birthdays today (even though they are showing on the forum home page in the WGO section). Any idea what the issue is with this mod?
Old 17 Feb 2014, 02:07

Another thing you can do to help protect yourself against this type of thing happening, if you are unfamiliar with editing the file is this.

1) Download the config.php file, and save it somewhere on your computer.
2) Download the config.php file again, and open it in your editor, and make any changes.
3) Re-upload the edited file.

Now if you should get some errors like the ones in this thread, simply upload the original version you saved on your computer.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 02:08

Originally Posted by BGObsession View Post
Hey Oz, sorry to keep harassing you, but when I implement the above mod, it does show the widget, but it doesn't show member birthdays today (even though they are showing on the forum home page in the WGO section). Any idea what the issue is with this mod?
Nope, I have never used it, so not entirely sure.
Attached Images
File Type: gif smile.gif (1.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 17 Feb 2014, 02:17

Ordinarily, I would almost always do that, but I've never once had an issue editing files with Notepad, and adding a single user ID didn't seem complex enough to even worry about it. I appreciate the help and sorry to create additional work. I'm generally pretty savvy with vbulletin mods and file edits.