Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Spam List: Block 261022 Registration Email Domains Details »
Spam List: Block 261022 Registration Email Domains
Developer Last Online: Jun 2013 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.6.4 Rating: (11 votes - 4.18 average) Installs: 189
Released: 26 Dec 2006 Last Update: 30 Dec 2006 Downloads: 1757
Not Supported Uses Plugins Additional Files  

This mod allows you to block users from registering when their email address domain is on a spam list. There are currently 261022 email address domains on the included spam lists. There is one list for every 0-9, a-z character plus one exemption list. However, there is no guarantee that every entry on a list is a true spam domain.

The lists were compiled by combining a personal list with various online sources, none of which disallows use in a mod such as this. Therefore, brought to you is this spam list mod. You can add or remove entries from the spam list files. If you add an entry, make sure to add it as a lowercase entry. The plugin takes care of the rest.

The various spam list files range is size from about 4.0kb to around 0.4mb so be sure that you have enough memory available before installing this mod. The mod calls in the exemption list and one spam list file, and unsets them as soon as possible to free memory. If an email address domain is on the exemption list, it is not blocked.

Should a user be blocked from registering at your forum, an email will be sent to your vB webmasteremail address and the user will see the vB banemail phrase message, so no screenshot of this mod is necessary. Everything is in alphabetical order so if you do not like the spam list files, just make your own set of files. Enjoy!

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Old 07 Mar 2007, 13:10

any chance this will work on 3.5.4?
Old 07 Mar 2007, 20:24

I've installed it. But, where does it show up in the ACP?

Calorie,

I went to Banning Options, and a couple of other places, and can't find it. Thanks.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 17:29

Originally Posted by bplinson View Post
Why not use the NoSpam! - an alternative to CAPTCHA images plug-in in conjunction with the USER BANNING OPTIONS that are already in vBulletin.

vBulletin Options>User Banning Options>Banned Email Addresses

This plug-in just seem redundant to me.
The banned e-mail addresses box will not accept 260,000 e-mail addresses!

And I'm pretty sure vB would run out of memory and crash trying to scan against that whole list.

Originally Posted by Fungsten
I went to Banning Options, and a couple of other places, and can't find it. Thanks.
It doesn't show up anywhere. It just works. You will get an e-mail every time someone tries to register with one of the 260,000+ banned domains. If you want to remove or add domains, edit the spamlist files.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 17:57

Thank you!

Originally Posted by feldon23 View Post
The banned e-mail addresses box will not accept 260,000 e-mail addresses!

And I'm pretty sure vB would run out of memory and crash trying to scan against that whole list.

It doesn't show up anywhere. It just works. You will get an e-mail every time someone tries to register with one of the 260,000+ banned domains. If you want to remove or add domains, edit the spamlist files.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 05:16

Very nice!!! Thanks.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 23:22

I've been looking at implementing an RBL specifically for VB registrations. It'd be pretty simple in relation with a plugin like this to implement a very simple rbl check against spammer domains, and means VB admins could contribute to the RBL.

Just need some other geographic locations willing to host a slave dns server off a master.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 03:55

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post
I use Welcome Headers to warn people that all begining posts are moderated and that you can NOT post "Links" until your an approved member.
Good idea!
Old 26 Mar 2007, 20:23

Man this is great!! Thanks BIG TIME!!! (cox.net) cox communications! I put them in the do_not_block list, I know a few people that use them...

Here's two that got by the list...
mortgage @usabestlink.org
contactlens @settopnet.org
Old 28 Mar 2007, 17:33

Tried this, but it brought my server to its knees.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 13:08

so when install this what will it do? tell people they can;t register using yaho etc et?
Old 01 Apr 2007, 12:03

Will this hack work with vBulletin ver. 3.5?
Old 06 Apr 2007, 12:07

Another one that made the list... cymbalta @your-pill.biz
Old 01 Jun 2007, 15:33

So all I have to do is upload? No settings adjustments?
Old 03 Jun 2007, 16:51

I've uninstalled this hack. I got SO MANY legitimate users that were blocked because of this. I had to go in and remove dozens and dozens of legit e-mails so people could register. No problems with registrations now. I used an alternate spam blocking method. this may work for you, but I certainly don't recommend blocking out the entire world.
Old 03 Jun 2007, 21:36

I had to remove it too.

Many legitimate users couldn't register.

Originally Posted by NathanLedet View Post
I've uninstalled this hack. I got SO MANY legitimate users that were blocked because of this. I had to go in and remove dozens and dozens of legit e-mails so people could register. No problems with registrations now. I used an alternate spam blocking method. this may work for you, but I certainly don't recommend blocking out the entire world.