Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 03:55
8thos's Avatar
8thos 8thos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real name: DRE
How many modifications did vb4.1.4 break on your site?

It seems like every day I discover something broken by the CKEditor.
__________________
www.8thos.com
www.qapla.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 07:14
Sarteck's Avatar
Sarteck Sarteck is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I think it actually only broke one on my site, and it's one that's not even up here on vB.org (for vB4, anyways). That was the Live Topic, 'n I figured out how to fix it, so it's all good. The issue was that all line breaks were removed from a post while quick editing.

For a while, I wasn't able to use Custom BBCode buttons, which was a real blow. THey've got a fix posted on the bug tracker now, so that's cool.

I was getting reports of users not being able to to save/submit, cancel, or go advanced on the Quick Reply/Edit, but either that healed itself or I accidentally fixed it.

It does still look ugly, and is a pain in the arse to style, but so far as I know, there's only one thing left that I need fixed with it, and that's this issue users are having where is "breaks" their words while trying to wrap while typing. Can't figure that one out for the life of me, though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 07:33
8thos's Avatar
8thos 8thos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real name: DRE
Originally Posted by Sarteck View Post
I think it actually only broke one on my site, and it's one that's not even up here on vB.org (for vB4, anyways). That was the Live Topic, 'n I figured out how to fix it, so it's all good. The issue was that all line breaks were removed from a post while quick editing.

For a while, I wasn't able to use Custom BBCode buttons, which was a real blow. THey've got a fix posted on the bug tracker now, so that's cool.

I was getting reports of users not being able to to save/submit, cancel, or go advanced on the Quick Reply/Edit, but either that healed itself or I accidentally fixed it.

It does still look ugly, and is a pain in the arse to style, but so far as I know, there's only one thing left that I need fixed with it, and that's this issue users are having where is "breaks" their words while trying to wrap while typing. Can't figure that one out for the life of me, though.
The most annoying function of the ckeditor is how it treats copy-n-pasting.

For instance, copy-n-paste an article from another site then post it in a thread on your site.

If you are copying n pasting the header, it will not format it the way it should look.

It gives it html codes like [h2] and so on instead of making it as large as it should be.
__________________
www.8thos.com
www.qapla.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 08:01
Sarteck's Avatar
Sarteck Sarteck is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Oh, I don't even use the Advanced WYSIWYG... I just used the Enhanced Source editor. Same with most of my members.

I suppose that forums who do use it might find some things more painful. XD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 08:18
8thos's Avatar
8thos 8thos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real name: DRE
Originally Posted by Sarteck View Post
Oh, I don't even use the Advanced WYSIWYG... I just used the Enhanced Source editor. Same with most of my members.

I suppose that forums who do use it might find some things more painful. XD
Yeah definitely!

Mods that have broken since vb4.1.4:

vbCredits
Point Market
Canned Replies
8WR Media Library
__________________
www.8thos.com
www.qapla.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 10:25
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
Aside from moaning, whats your point ?

Upgrades can break mods, that's a fact of life, 414 broke one of mine (not the editor either).

I fixed it, life goes on.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 10:42
Sarteck's Avatar
Sarteck Sarteck is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Well, I'd suppose this one was pretty big in breaking stuff. If the posts themselves are the heart of the forum, then the post editor is the circulatory system. Since so many modifications depend on that circulatory system, I don't begrudge anyone with clogged arteries moaning a bit.


EDIT: Even if it is our fault for eating too many cheeseburgers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 13:26
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
I think they should have called the editor release "4.2.0" instead of "4.1.4"

Of course "4.1.4" should have been called "4.0.14" and then the new editor could have been "4.1.0" - It would make tracking which mods worked for which versions FAR more logical.

But vBulletin Solutions doesn't seem to care about mods to begin with... I hope that mindset will change with Paul on board. The mods MAKE vBulletin. Without mods they'd have less than half the sales they have now- probably a lot less. It doesn't take a market research study to see this.
__________________
-Joe
Former vb.org Moderator. Retired.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 13:57
Alfa1's Avatar
Alfa1 Alfa1 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Its pretty obvious that a new editor would break things and would introduce some new issues. 4.1.5 will hopefully resolve those. Mind that there were a lot of editor related issues that are now resolved. Who cares what version name they give it.

I do think that its time for vBS to start caring about mods. There are too many mods abandoned because coders no longer have a license and therefore no permissions on vb.org and no current vb installation to create updates for their mods. This hurts vb.org and therefore decreases the value of vbulletin itself.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 14:38
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
Its pretty obvious that a new editor would break things and would introduce some new issues. 4.1.5 will hopefully resolve those. Mind that there were a lot of editor related issues that are now resolved. Who cares what version name they give it.

I do think that its time for vBS to start caring about mods. There are too many mods abandoned because coders no longer have a license and therefore no permissions on vb.org and no current vb installation to create updates for their mods. This hurts vb.org and therefore decreases the value of vbulletin itself.
Just a point of calcification- if someone ever had an owned vbulletin license they continue to have access to vbulletin.org. But expired licenses are a legitimate issue. For example though I am happy to make 4.x versions of my mods, I personally don't and never intend to use VB 4.x on a live forum. As a result I don't have access to the latest 4.x version.

Obviously vBulletin can't offer a free license to every "coder." Some people release 1 small mod and are considered coders. Debating who is worthy or not would be more trouble than it's worth.

But I do wish they offered a free version licensed only to develop on (must be password protected and not open to the public) that coders could download. We could register as a coder and get a development license number so it could still be tracked if it was ever found on a crack site or something.

I think that would help a lot of people without causing any lost sales. If a development version was ever found on a live site it would be treated like any other pirated version is now.

There could be a message in the footer saying "For development and testing only. Please report piracy here." with a link.
__________________
-Joe
Former vb.org Moderator. Retired.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 14:46
Sarteck's Avatar
Sarteck Sarteck is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
The mods MAKE vBulletin. Without mods they'd have less than half the sales they have now- probably a lot less.
I can't speak for everyone... but in my case, this is 100% correct.

The reason I haven't gone with some other forum system is because of the ease of making modifications to vB, and the wealth of modifications already available. When vB was doing that license crap a while back with offering a deal "if you hurry up and buy it right away," you can bet I checked out other forum systems. In the end, I stuck with vB, solely because of the modification easiness and library.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 14:47
Lynne's Avatar
Lynne Lynne is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Lynne
It broke a mod I had released here, so I fixed it. I figured it was going to potentially break any mod that had anything to do with the editor. This is why you do upgrades on your test site first, fix the issues, then upgrade your live site.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 16:38
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
In my case, the mod had no direct connection to the editor, so it was a surprise to find it broke it, turned out it was due to some minor changes in showthread, made as a result of the switch to CKE.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 17:01
Alfa1's Avatar
Alfa1 Alfa1 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
Just a point of calcification- if someone ever had an owned vbulletin license they continue to have access to vbulletin.org.
I just saw a post by Sorky who can no longer receive PMs.

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
Obviously vBulletin can't offer a free license to every "coder."
It wouldnt hurt to offer a developer license or a discount to coders who have more than 100 mod downloads/installs. Most will not take up such offer, but those who do have the possibility to further develop their mods.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20 Jun 2011, 17:19
Lynne's Avatar
Lynne Lynne is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Lynne
Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
I just saw a post by Sorky who can no longer receive PMs.
He changed his email or something because he is no longer associated with a Customer Account.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: