Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:19
nighteyes nighteyes is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Originally Posted by ap0c
before going over board with negative responses, wait to see what the verdict is
Well looks like jelsoft are going overboard with negative responses themselves: Using this hack will make your installation "completely incompatible for future vBulletin upgrades". Based on the original post ref: investigating to be done, how the heck can they quantify such a statement?
  #17  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:19
Link14716's Avatar
Link14716 Link14716 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Real name: Matthew Gordon
Originally Posted by Wayne Luke
Actually TGWhatever is not legal that had already been decided. Each of those "Free" versions of vBulletin are considered to be pirated copies by us. This has become a very big issue lately with several hosts trying this and we have not given permission to anyone.

Your post had your opinion but based on previous staff conversations, the information was incorrect. As I said, after we review this and if it is decided to be okay, then I will restore it.
Well, among the many past discussions, it had been said that it was legal. Either that or I'm not remembering it correctly.
  #18  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:20
mello_mike mello_mike is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
If anything.. this hack will help Jelsoft.... because members will see how great vB's features are.. and will want to have their own FULL VERSION forum.. and will purchase a license from vB!

So if anything... this hack will expose more people to the vB forum system.... I know Invision board has something like this.. and it encourages people to get their own IPB forum.

Oh well.. Bad enough I have to pay for vB.. then wait 2 years for a new version.. and THEN I can't do want I want with my forum... *sigh*
  #19  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:20
trafix's Avatar
trafix trafix is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Well ... while EvB is not currentluy under jelsoft controll, We take every measure to observe issues such as piricy ect ... all or 90% of hacks posted at EvB require the HTL to install ... the only place that you can get the HTL IS vborg ... the only way for ppl to download the HTL is if they have a valad licence ... thats how we protect jelsoft's intrests.

If we where directed to remove a hack by jelsof or a VB Team member ... it would be done!
  #20  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:21
Link14716's Avatar
Link14716 Link14716 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Real name: Matthew Gordon
Originally Posted by FASherman
Please share with the rest of the class.
He is referring to http://www.everythingvb.com/.
  #21  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:22
Wayne Luke's Avatar
Wayne Luke Wayne Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Real name: Wayne
Originally Posted by DrkFusion
I was just wondering. It does use only 1 license? 1 Copy of the files? I have not checked out the hack myself, but I doubt there is any new installations of the whole vBulletin system itself. Can we get a clear statement of why an investigation is needed, and what exactly is being investigated?
An investigation is needed because it assigns the right to use vBulletin to none License holders. This violates the vBulletin license and diminishes Jelsoft's copyright on the product.

Basically it allows you to setup your own EZBoard like system and it has been previously determined that this is against the license and violates our copyright.
__________________
Wayne Luke
Get started with your own social network. Purchase and download vBulletin today.
  #22  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:24
GameCrash GameCrash is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Real name: Andreas
I know about 50 websites (most of them are gamesites) that are doing exactly this. And I mean the 50 are those I personally know - of course there are many more. Big sites. Do you say all of them are illegal?
  #23  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:25
Stadler Stadler is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Originally Posted by Wayne Luke
Basically it allows you to setup your own EZBoard like system and it has been previously determined that this is against the license and violates our copyright.
Which part of the license exactly?
  #24  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:27
Link14716's Avatar
Link14716 Link14716 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Real name: Matthew Gordon
This hack is about as illegal as having more than one administrator and about as "incompatible with future upgrades" as my shoutbox hack - although my shoutbox hack would be more "incompatible" as it makes a lot more file edits.
  #25  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:27
Floris Floris is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Originally Posted by Wayne Luke
An investigation is needed because it assigns the right to use vBulletin to none License holders. This violates the vBulletin license and diminishes Jelsoft's copyright on the product.

Basically it allows you to setup your own EZBoard like system and it has been previously determined that this is against the license and violates our copyright.
Originally Posted by License Agreement
The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicence, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft.
I think it is because of this part.
__________________
My community; http://wetalknation.net
  #26  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:27
Wayne Luke's Avatar
Wayne Luke Wayne Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Real name: Wayne
Originally Posted by GameCrash
I know about 50 websites (most of them are gamesites) that are doing exactly this. And I mean the 50 are those I personally know - of course there are many more. Big sites. Do you say all of them are illegal?
If they are using vBulletin and do not have written permission from Jelsoft Pty. Ltd. (the only holders of the vBulletin copyright, vBulletin-germany.com is just a reseller without authority to change the license agreement) and they are using an automated or semi-automated system to do it, then yes I am.
__________________
Wayne Luke
Get started with your own social network. Purchase and download vBulletin today.
  #27  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:33
nighteyes nighteyes is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Originally Posted by Wayne Luke
An investigation is needed because it assigns the right to use vBulletin to none License holders. This violates the vBulletin license and diminishes Jelsoft's copyright on the product.

Basically it allows you to setup your own EZBoard like system and it has been previously determined that this is against the license and violates our copyright.
I'm sorry but this logic could easily be applied to "assigning" administrators to our vBulletin installation or global super moderators to subforums. Aren't these groups being assigned the right to use vBulletin without a license? This hack just restricts what features this new group of administrators have access to.
  #28  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:35
Floris Floris is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Originally Posted by nighteyes
I'm sorry but this logic could easily be applied to "assigning" administrators to our vBulletin installation or global super moderators to subforums. Aren't these groups being assigned the right to use vBulletin without a license? This hack just restricts what features this new group of administrators have access to.
Which probably makes it a good reason to check up and find out if this is legal or not. As the first post says : Once decided it is ok, it will return.
__________________
My community; http://wetalknation.net
  #29  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:35
Morrus Morrus is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Originally Posted by Stadler
Which part of the license exactly?
Hmmm.... interesting point. I can see why Jelsoft wouldn't want people to be able to do this (it certainly isn't in their interests), and in their place I would have specifically prohibited it in the license.

However, from my reading of the license I can see nothing prohibiting this. The closest I can see is a reference to distributing or leasing the software (which obviously is not legal), but not to allowing [unlimited] use of a specific licensed installation of vBulletin:

The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicence, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft.
I'm confident that that language does not prohibit use of the software in this way (or in any way) - it merely prohibits the distribution of it.

[As an aside, as has been pointed out above, Jelsoft's argument here (and I realise that they haven't confirmed their position one way or the other yet) would also prohibit the assignment of co-admins.]

If they are using vBulletin and do not have written permission from Jelsoft Pty. Ltd. (the only holders of the vBulletin copyright, vBulletin-germany.com is just a reseller without authority to change the license agreement) and they are using an automated or semi-automated system to do it, then yes I am.
As the license stands at present, automation doesn't come into it.

Last edited by Morrus; 23 Mar 2004 at 23:42.
  #30  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 23:36
VampireMan VampireMan is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Real name: chris
/me makes all his users admins
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 18:09.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: