Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 20 Apr 2009, 15:32
dutchbb dutchbb is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Question Can I do this?

Hello,

I'm designing a IPB Pro style to release here on vb.org, using the IPB pro skin colors, layout and original images. Will Vb.org allow me to do this? Will it cause me any problems? In other words: is it legal?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20 Apr 2009, 17:07
nexialys
Guest
 
ok, you know it's a vBulletin website, don't you?

do you seriously think IPB lads will come here to download your skin?

oh and if you try to leech IPB style to release it as a vB style, sad day for us...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20 Apr 2009, 17:09
unenergizer unenergizer is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas, YE HAW
Real name: Andrew Brown
Originally Posted by dutchbb View Post
Hello,

I'm designing a IPB Pro style to release here on vb.org, using the IPB pro skin colors, layout and original images. Will Vb.org allow me to do this? Will it cause me any problems? In other words: is it legal?
If you make it, you can do whatever you want with it. UNLESS, someone dies as a direct result from using the product. But that hasn't happened in years, so you should be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20 Apr 2009, 17:39
dutchbb dutchbb is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Originally Posted by nexialys View Post
ok, you know it's a vBulletin website, don't you?
Of course.

do you seriously think IPB lads will come here to download your skin?
Why would they want to do that? The style is for vbulletin admins.

oh and if you try to leech IPB style to release it as a vB style, sad day for us...
People have been asking for this color scheme, probably because they changed from IPB to vB, but their members are used to the IPB look, so they could provide the skin as an extra choice. What is wrong with that?

I'm not trying to state anything. Personally I think (no I'm sure) vb is better (coding and layout). But there are other people who would like to use this style/skin for some reason. I've seen posts about this. And BTW this could be a good thing for vb. Because if IPB admins know there is a style for vb that let's them keep the IPB look, they might jump to VB.

Originally Posted by unenergizer View Post
If you make it, you can do whatever you want with it. UNLESS, someone dies as a direct result from using the product. But that hasn't happened in years, so you should be fine.
I wasn't sure about the images. I know colors can't be copyrighted most of the time, but images can I think. That's why I wasn't sure about releasing it without getting in to trouble with vb.org or IPB.

Last edited by dutchbb; 20 Apr 2009 at 17:47.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20 Apr 2009, 18:13
Lynne's Avatar
Lynne Lynne is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Lynne
Somebody released a facebook type style here, so I don't know why it wouldn't be OK to release an IPB type style.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Try a search before posting for help. Many users won't, and don't, help if the question has been answered several times before.
W3Schools -
Online vBulletin Manual
If I post some CSS and don't say where it goes, put it in the additional.css template.
I will NOT help via PM (you will be directed to post in the forums for help.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21 Apr 2009, 20:59
Shelley_c's Avatar
Shelley_c Shelley_c is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Real name: Shelley Cunningham
Exactly how are you planning to create the images? Are you actually going to create the button sets and other IPB icons from scratch, or are you going to re-colour or use existing IPB images?

And seeing as you're releasing the IPB Style here (I'm assuming a style with your own IPB touch) you won't be able to distribute IPB images here or anywhere else, that I'm quite sure of.

Regardless of that, creating your own style IPB theme might be popular. You would be surprised the amount of people that use default styles from other boards but like the features that vbulletin has.

It's a case of best of both worlds because the default vbulletin style looks shit anyway.
__________________
AdminExtra.com - The forum for smiley enthusiasts. Tutorials, Resources.

Last edited by Shelley_c; 21 Apr 2009 at 21:08.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21 Apr 2009, 21:22
unenergizer unenergizer is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas, YE HAW
Real name: Andrew Brown
Originally Posted by Shelley_c View Post
Exactly how are you planning to create the images? Are you actually going to create the button sets and other IPB icons from scratch, or are you going to re-colour or use existing IPB images?

And seeing as you're releasing the IPB Style here (I'm assuming a style with your own IPB touch) you won't be able to distribute IPB images here or anywhere else, that I'm quite sure of.


Tip: When converting a style from one forum to another, only copy the "widely used" icons. These icons would include (on IPB) category icons, new topic/thread, closed topic/thead, etc. Use all the other vb icons. Remember that IPB and VB have different names for theses icons so you will have to rename the IPB icons to the VB names, or they wont work. I have done many of these types of conversions and the only thing all of them seem to want, is the same table sturcture(look), icons, and the postbit area to match. Get that and you have all you really need to create a great style. Of coarse this is all my opinion and its based on my experiences only.

Originally Posted by Shelley_c View Post
It's a case of best of both worlds because the default vbulletin style looks shit anyway.
I think outdated is more appropriate. Shorty want a thug?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21 Apr 2009, 21:34
Shelley_c's Avatar
Shelley_c Shelley_c is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Real name: Shelley Cunningham
Originally Posted by unenergizer View Post
Tip: When converting a style from one forum to another, only copy the "widely used" icons. These icons would include (on IPB) category icons, new topic/thread, closed topic/thead, etc. Use all the other vb icons. Remember that IPB and VB have different names for theses icons so you will have to rename the IPB icons to the VB names, or they wont work. I have done many of these types of conversions and the only thing all of them seem to want, is the same table sturcture(look), icons, and the postbit area to match. Get that and you have all you really need to create a great style. Of coarse this is all my opinion and its based on my experiences only.



I think outdated is more appropriate. Shorty want a thug?
Yeah I'll partially agree with you, But it's nice to have all the images created in the IPB Theme. Of course, adding your own touch to the style is a greater factor. Personally, I would opt for a saturated/retro ipb look but that's just me. If you can convey the IPB theme across to the point your members feel it is an ipb theme retaining your own touch to it then you surely will have a winner.

It's all to well saying design the common icons, but a project such as this in my opinion of course warrants everything (graphically) to be changed. I understand though, there's a different between a styler who can create simple gradients and a designer who can or can't design (from scratch) the more complex images.

And your correct, outdated is more appropriate. Nice to see your english has improved with age.
__________________
AdminExtra.com - The forum for smiley enthusiasts. Tutorials, Resources.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22 Apr 2009, 07:50
freewilley's Avatar
freewilley freewilley is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
just seen your release!! I must say its really good I love that black default style of IPB..

but I think the button images are copyrighted ones.. make sure you can use them or not.

regards
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22 Apr 2009, 07:54
Dismounted's Avatar
Dismounted Dismounted is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Real name: Hanson
If any of the images are from the default IPB style copied verbatim (or modified), you must seek permission from the image owners before being able to redistribute them.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

View My Modifications
29 Releases and Counting... Latest Modification: dmActivityStream - vBookie Integration (4.x)

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22 Apr 2009, 11:13
lasto lasto is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Originally Posted by nexialys View Post
ok, you know it's a vBulletin website, don't you?

do you seriously think IPB lads will come here to download your skin?

oh and if you try to leech IPB style to release it as a vB style, sad day for us...
You never gave this guy the benefit of the doubt ?
You naturally assumed he was going to release a copyright skin when all he was asking for was some advice on the subject.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23 Apr 2009, 17:59
xontec xontec is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Of course.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: