Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Force Users to Read a Thread Details »
Force Users to Read a Thread
Developer Last Online: Jun 2010 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.7.x Rating: (68 votes - 4.81 average) Installs: 1467
Released: 05 Mar 2008 Last Update: 05 Mar 2008 Downloads: 6031
Not Supported DB Changes Uses Plugins Additional Files  

Force Users to Read a Thread 2.0

About this hack:
This hack allows you to set a thread as 'must read' by your members. Right now, if you make a post and want all your members to read it, you have no way of enforcing it. This hack will give an error message similar to the one you get when you need to change you password, saying that the admins want you to read a certain thread before they continue using the forum.

Once a user reads a thread, they wont be bugged to read it again.

You can set all usergroups or just certain onces that must read a thread.

You can set to site wide or just some forums.

Option to Force Guests

This hack added one query to every page on your forum a member goes to.
  • Files edited: 0
  • Templates edited: 0
  • Files to upload: 2 (1 via ACP, 2 via FTP)
  • Time to install: 1 minute
Updates:

Version 2.0 (03/05/08):
  • First Release of this Hack for vb3.7
  • MAJOR update. Hack totally re-writen. You must uninstall old version before upgrading.
  • Fixed just about all bugs. (like if you delete a thread...)
  • No more template edit. Everything done in ACP.
  • Permissions for by who ever has ACP access with threads and posts
  • Force Guests to read a thread now.
  • Works for BOTH vb3.6 AND vb3.7
Please post your comments or suggestions for this hack. I read ALL posts.

MAKE SURE YOU CLICK INSTALL!
You will get an email when a new version is released.

Pictures:
  • The error message.
  • The universal options.
  • Where you go to set the settings.
  • The list of forums that have force read settings.
  • The edit/add screen.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	5625
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	76754   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3731
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	76755   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	2202
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	76756   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	3509
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	76757  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	3646
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	76758  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Moderators Functions Force Users to Read a Thread Abe1 vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 638 27 Jul 2014 12:17

Old 06 Apr 2008, 13:38

Originally Posted by Lilyandy View Post
bug...................................

see...............@@
It's fixed for next version.

Active Link Security 3.0.X | Add Title to Rank Images 3.5.X | Admin Log In As User 3.5.X 3.6.X | Advanced BBCode Permissions 3.5.X 3.6.X | Can't See Attachments Before Thanking a Post 3.5.X | Can't Thank and Groan the Same Post 3.5.X | Delete Post when Giving Infraction 3.6.X | Edit New Thread Button 3.5.X | External Data Provider Usergroup Permissions Setting 3.5.X | Forms Hack 3.5.X, 3.6.X | Log Logins Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Moderator Statistics 3.5.X | Post Award Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X | [AJAX] Post Thank You Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X 3.6.X | [AJAX] Post Groan Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Post Thank You Hack Stats for vBadvanced CMPS 2.x 3.5.X | Search Title only in search drop-down 3.5.X, 3.6.X | 'vBMenu' DHTML User Option 3.5.X 3.6.X | vBShout on all pages! 3.5.X
Old 07 Apr 2008, 00:24

Great mod and it works for most of my members, but I've had two members (so far) out of a total of 300 registered members and 50 who have logged in since I enabled the mod, who get stuck and can't access the site.

They see the splash screen (The Admin wants you to read this thread), but when they click on the link, they get an error screen so can't continue in to the site.

Member #1 contacted me with this message
It says that the administrators want me to view a thread before I browse the forum. Then it has a link for me to click.
Whe I click the link, it does not take me to a thread, just has 3 reasons that the link did not work..
Member #2 posted this:
when I jumped on this morning it said I had to open the thread before I could go anywhere else.. I clicked the button to open it and i got the oops error page.. I went back and tried again, same thing. I even tried just bringing up the link on the right under your name that says you have ### many unread post, still got the error page.. so it locked me out for a little today. I ended up clicking on the calender link and that some how got me to the new thread. so I am not sure if it was just me, and I am hoping others are not having a issue getting to the forums
I am asking both members about what browser they are using... any ideas or suggestions? I think it is a GREAT and useful mod and would have to hate to not use it because it "breaks" the site for some people.
Old 08 Apr 2008, 23:48

Originally Posted by Abe1 View Post
Go to your the force read thread settings and add vbadvaced to the list there.
would u plz explain this .. i know how where i have to find the option , i dunno what i have to put to disable the vbadvanced .

thanks
Old 11 Apr 2008, 13:02

Originally Posted by uReside.com View Post
I'm having the exact same problem. On a fairly "stock" forum.
Same thing
Are you suffering from an Alcohol or Drug addiction? Are you suffering from any addiction? Do you want help? There are others like you at Recovery Crossroads. You are not in this alone. We have been where you are at right now.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 22:47

Installed and works great. Thanks
Old 18 Apr 2008, 20:05

Installed and works but....when I enable the product my forum is noticeably slower. Any ideas why?
Old 23 Apr 2008, 06:29

Originally Posted by DannyITR View Post
Installed and works but....when I enable the product my forum is noticeably slower. Any ideas why?
Dont know. I would need to see the the explain page that you can see when you are in debug mode to figure it out.

Active Link Security 3.0.X | Add Title to Rank Images 3.5.X | Admin Log In As User 3.5.X 3.6.X | Advanced BBCode Permissions 3.5.X 3.6.X | Can't See Attachments Before Thanking a Post 3.5.X | Can't Thank and Groan the Same Post 3.5.X | Delete Post when Giving Infraction 3.6.X | Edit New Thread Button 3.5.X | External Data Provider Usergroup Permissions Setting 3.5.X | Forms Hack 3.5.X, 3.6.X | Log Logins Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Moderator Statistics 3.5.X | Post Award Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X | [AJAX] Post Thank You Hack 3.0.X 3.5.X 3.6.X | [AJAX] Post Groan Hack 3.5.X 3.6.X | Post Thank You Hack Stats for vBadvanced CMPS 2.x 3.5.X | Search Title only in search drop-down 3.5.X, 3.6.X | 'vBMenu' DHTML User Option 3.5.X 3.6.X | vBShout on all pages! 3.5.X
Old 23 Apr 2008, 21:49

I have a fairly large forum and when I enable this it also is noticeably slower and the loads really shoot up there. Maybe not meant for large forums?
Old 24 Apr 2008, 02:16

It would be very nice to know this.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 06:04

Originally Posted by FlyBoy73 View Post
I have a fairly large forum and when I enable this it also is noticeably slower and the loads really shoot up there. Maybe not meant for large forums?
Any way I can see the results from the explain page when in debug mode?

Old 30 Apr 2008, 06:53

I had the 3.6 version installed. I disabled all of my plugins before updating from 3.6.10 to 3.7 gold. The Force read wasn't working. So I uninstalled and then installed the latest version. I can get it to work, but what about the old threads that I had made force-read with the 3.6.x version? I'm getting vb db errors in my email due to those threads. It seems I have no way to manage the previous force-read threads now that I've upgraded the plugin. And even before I upgraded, I still couldn't manage them because the link in "thread tools" was gone. How can I fix this?
Old 04 May 2008, 08:38

Reserved
Old 04 May 2008, 16:34

Originally Posted by nikki712 View Post
I had the 3.6 version installed. I disabled all of my plugins before updating from 3.6.10 to 3.7 gold. The Force read wasn't working. So I uninstalled and then installed the latest version. I can get it to work, but what about the old threads that I had made force-read with the 3.6.x version? I'm getting vb db errors in my email due to those threads. It seems I have no way to manage the previous force-read threads now that I've upgraded the plugin. And even before I upgraded, I still couldn't manage them because the link in "thread tools" was gone. How can I fix this?
It had to uninstalled before you upgraded versions. You have to uninstall this version, reinstall the old version then uninstall it so it clears out all old things. After, you can re-install this version.

Old 06 May 2008, 17:57

Great mod

Can I just ask, does this mod work if a user is logged in already as "remember me"?

Cheers
Old 07 May 2008, 22:27

Originally Posted by Abe1 View Post
Go to your the force read thread settings and add vbadvaced to the list there.
Wouldn't it just be easier to fully qualify the URL in the code instead of using a relative URL?