Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Cel Update your Browser Nagger (unobtrusive) Details »
Cel Update your Browser Nagger (unobtrusive)
Developer Last Online: Oct 2017 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

vB Version: 4.0.x Rating: (5 votes - 5.00 average) Installs: 43
Released: 01 Apr 2010 Last Update: 03 Apr 2010 Downloads: 199
Not Supported Uses Plugins Auto-Template  

This modification also works with vB3
(probably all versions > 3.5)

Oh, all that discussions on vbulletin.com and elsewhere whether vB4 should support IE6 or not... now, while I think it should, because still a significant part of the userbase uses it, there's nothing against giving those users a friendly little hint.

What does this mod do?

Its quite simple, really - it just adds the code to show a small friendly notification bar at the top of the browsing area (like most browsers use). It will remind the user that he's using a rather old browser and should upgrade.

To do this, this mod inserts code provided by

http://browserupdate.org

which gets added to the footer template right before the closing </body> tag. The javascript provided by browserupdate.org can be found at http://browser-update.org/update.js

Which browsers are nagged?

At the moment, the popup shows for the users of Internet Expolorer <= 6, Firefox <= 2.0, Opera <= 10.01, Safari <= 2.0 (April 2010). This will be adapted by the provider from time to time. If you want to change this, please read under customization.

Language?

The bar detects the browser default language; if there's a translation, it will be used. If not, it's english, or you can force another language or use your own text (the latter seems not to work atm). Please see the next topic on customization. Available languages atm are en - de - it - es - pl - nl. If you want to post a translation here in the thread, I'll try and pass it on to browserupdate.org. The text is:
Your browser ($browser $version) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser

Customization?

Yes, possible - but not supported in any way in this thread. Anyway, for easier appliance you can find the possible settings for parameters to pass to the javascript in AdminCP under the settings page for this mod. See screenshot. For details on customization options, see this page. Please note that the option to use custom text is not yet implemented properly, I have mailed the people at browserupdate.org and filed a bug there.

You also can style the bar differently, if you want to. The necessary css-classes are also on the page linked above. I'd advise to put them into additional.css, if needed.

Suppoort on customization?

Sorry, If you want to customize the bar, you're on your own. It's not my code, this mod only provides the means to add it easily.

Version history

4.0.002 Added AdminCP settings to pass parameters to the javascript easily
4.0.001 Initial release

### Don't forget to click install! ###
(No support if you don't)

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	en.png
Views:	727
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	115235   Click image for larger version

Name:	admincp.png
Views:	302
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	115236  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • If you like this modification support the author by donating.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Social Group and Album Enhancements Cel Social Groups Notifications cellarius vBulletin 4.x Add-ons 80 24 Feb 2016 22:01
Social Group and Album Enhancements Cel Social Groups Notifications cellarius vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 83 08 Aug 2014 09:23
Forum Home Enhancements Cel Sponsors/Subscribers on Forumhome cellarius vBulletin 4.x Add-ons 37 03 Dec 2012 18:47
Forum Home Enhancements Cel Sponsors/Subscribers on Forumhome cellarius vBulletin 3.7 Add-ons 3 16 Sep 2009 10:19

Old 18 May 2010, 11:32

Thanks buddy
Old 17 Jun 2010, 13:12

is it working for vb 3.7.x
Old 17 Jun 2010, 13:27

You'll know after you try. It should.

http://www.roma-antiqua.de
Old 17 Jun 2010, 14:25

Thanks for the mod, thanks
Old 06 Jul 2010, 05:20

cellarius, Browser Update website have a pt (portuguese) translation of this phrase:

"Seu navegador ($browser $version) está desatualizado. Ele possui falhas de segurança e pode apresentar problemas para exibir este e outros websites. Veja como atualizar o seu navegador".

Tagged and waiting for update. =)

Old 06 Jul 2010, 20:59

There won't be an update. The language is not selected by the mod, but by the browserupdate.org-code automatically.

http://www.roma-antiqua.de
Old 15 Sep 2010, 13:14

Works fine on VB4.0.7
Old 15 Sep 2010, 14:16

Installed on 4.04pl1 and testing ...

Thank you ...

Regards,
Badger
Old 15 Sep 2010, 14:29

Hey man, nice addon.

But i have a little problem, look this:

The problem is when the leter have a ´

P.S: Is Spanish.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 17:41

This gives a message that the browser is out of date, while its the latest version. (FF3.6.11)
Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:27

I like the idea and would really like to use this mod... But it does not report correctly.

Opera 11 IS the newest build, but this tells me I'm out of date.

The same seems to happen with Firefox & Google Chrome
Old 03 Aug 2012, 10:07

Great plugin, installed and nominated.

UADisplay for the nerds among us who care about browser wars!
Old 30 Mar 2013, 12:16

This still does not work right. It shows an erroneous message while the users are on the latest version of firefox.