Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mod Options
Thread Prefixes upgrade from Mystics to 3.7 Details »
Thread Prefixes upgrade from Mystics to 3.7
Developer Last Online: May 2014 I like it Show Printable Version Email this Page

This modification is in the archives.
vB Version: 3.7.x Rating: (0 vote - 0 average) Installs: 33
Released: 21 Dec 2007 Last Update: 21 Dec 2007 Downloads: 287
Not Supported DB Changes Re-usable Code  

Thread prefixes upgrade.

This script upgrades the old Thread Prefixes hack by Mystics to the new thread prefixes found in 3.7+. The only guarantee is that it works on my test server, going from 3.6.8 to 3.7.0B3.

It is a one-run operation. The script reads the details of the old thread prefix system from your database, and then writes new entries for the new system into your database. The code is rough and ready (OK, it's my first ever script), so do NOT use it unless you have backed up your database and are prepared to restore it.

It will create a fully populated prefixset for each forum with prefixes, and then assign the prefixes to the threads in that forum.

The rich text format of the new prefix is set to be bold with square brackets around, although if you want to change that you can edit tpup.php (there is a commented out version of the query, that will make the text plain - it should be obvious).

Instructions.

1. Upgrade to 3.7 and revert all templates.
2. Open dp.php in a text editor and enter your database login details.
3. Upload all 4 .php files to a new folder on your server (or test server).
4. Backup your database.
5. Browse to tpup.php in your browser to run it.
6. When it's done, close the browser window and delete the files from your server.
7. Now you must rebuild all languages in AdminCP > Languages & Phrases > Language Manager > Rebuild All Languages. If you miss this step, nothing will work!
8. Please report any success or failure in this thread.

Versions:
1.00 First go.
1.01 Added the facility to specify a database table prefix.
1.04 Got the table prefix right, thanks to Mystics.

Download Now

Only licensed members can download files, Click Here for more information.

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	tpup1.gif
Views:	773
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	73520   Click image for larger version

Name:	tpup2.gif
Views:	1120
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	73521  

Show Your Support

• To receive notifications regarding updates -> Click to Mark as Installed.
  • This modification may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
Similar Mod
Mod Developer Type Replies Last Post
Miscellaneous Hacks Thread Prefixes Mystics vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons 516 18 Jan 2016 11:24
Thread Prefixes Mystics vBulletin 3.5 Add-ons 368 09 Aug 2009 00:52

Old 21 Dec 2007, 18:39

thanks for sharing... works great..

Old 21 Dec 2007, 23:18

just so im understanding .......

i must have your original from http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123033 installed on my 3.6.x board before i try the upgrade to 3.7

then once i upgrade to 3.7 i have to use this to convert over so it will work again?

id love to use this .... just want to be clear.

thanks
Old 22 Dec 2007, 09:04

Originally Posted by Trigr View Post

i must have your original from http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123033 installed on my 3.6.x board before i try the upgrade to 3.7

then once i upgrade to 3.7 i have to use this to convert over so it will work again?

thanks
Basically, yes.
If you're using Mystics prefix hack a lot in your forums, then this hack is for you if you're upgrading to vB3.7.
Otherwise not.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 09:55

This is greatly appreciated. At what stage do we:

remove the product

remove the files: threadprefix.php and includes/functions_threadprefix.php

remove the templates: threadprefix_listbit and threadprefix_modify

revert the two templates that are not changed for 3.7: threadbit_announcement and SUBSCRIBE

Bob
Old 22 Dec 2007, 10:43

I would do that once you know you are never going to need the old data. So for me it will be once I upgrade my live site to 3.7.? and get it happily running, and take a "I'm happy with it" backup.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 10:50

Originally Posted by Trigr View Post

thanks
If you want to continue using Mystics hack with 3.7, then you do NOT need to run this converter. Just revert and re-modify a whole load of templates.

If you want to abandon Mystics hack and start using the native vbulletin thread prefixes, then this script will move your data from Mystics hack into the right place so the native vbulletin system can see it.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 13:52

Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
If you want to continue using Mystics hack with 3.7, then you do NOT need to run this converter. Just revert and re-modify a whole load of templates.

If you want to abandon Mystics hack and start using the native vbulletin thread prefixes, then this script will move your data from Mystics hack into the right place so the native vbulletin system can see it.

gotcha ..... Thanks.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 11:47

Nice, I'll be looking at this for the upgrade of vb.org to 3.7 as we use prefixes.

Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 19:36

Worked perfectly great
Old 23 Dec 2007, 23:19

I happy for this script , and I would be very happy if you fixed this problem

I have Arabic language "UTF-8" and I use Collation "utf8_general_ci" in mysql for my forum.

And I test this script, after the script was used on the characters to "?????"

And see this error in running

Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png upgradeprex.png (20.3 KB, 237 views)
Old 30 Dec 2007, 08:56

Rageem, I'm sorry I have no experience with non-Roman characters in databases like this.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 10:13

Pottsy, do you have ideas about how to merge prefixes or prefix sets?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 15:26

Alfa1, it was me at vb.com... I think I know what you want, and shall try to achieve this when I test and re-build on the next beta release. In essence, I shall try to get the script to (optionally) read all prefixes everywhere and make one set, then apply that one set to all forums.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 05:56

That would be a big enhancement. Is it possible to add a feature where the admin can select which sets to merge?
Old 06 Apr 2008, 14:36

Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
Alfa1, it was me at vb.com... I think I know what you want, and shall try to achieve this when I test and re-build on the next beta release. In essence, I shall try to get the script to (optionally) read all prefixes everywhere and make one set, then apply that one set to all forums.
Please see this modification request:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1484367
Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
Before vbulletin 3.7 I used this hack: Thread Prefixes to have this functionality. Since vbulletin 3.7 thread prefixes are built into vbulletin.
I used this hack to import my thread prefixes into vb 3.7: Thread Prefixes upgrade from Mystics to 3.7

This hack created one prefixes set per forum, because vbulletin 3.7 introduced prefixes sets. This means that I now have 46 almost identical sets of prefixes. Each set contains between 10 and 25 prefixes. Most sets and most prefixes are almost identical. I would like to merge many thread prefixes and sets, so that I just have a few different prefixes sets left. But I do not want to loose prefixes on the thousands of threads that have been categorized with them.

As far as I understand this would be a simple script to code. I may be wrong. Either way; it will be very helpful to many admins and safe loads of work.