Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01 Sep 2021, 04:18
X-or X-or is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
protection against refresh spam ?

Hello, is there a way to protect site against refresh/F5 spam attacks
I found out you can overload/crash a vb site just by keeping F5 pressed, this is crazy
is there a way to limit page refresh to once per every x minutes, cookie based if possible
if not possible can you at least disable F5 & ctr+R without making refresh completely impossible
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01 Sep 2021, 21:57
TheLastSuperman's Avatar
TheLastSuperman TheLastSuperman is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Real name: Michael Miller Jr
Originally Posted by X-or View Post
Hello, is there a way to protect site against refresh/F5 spam attacks
I found out you can overload/crash a vb site just by keeping F5 pressed, this is crazy
is there a way to limit page refresh to once per every x minutes, cookie based if possible
if not possible can you at least disable F5 & ctr+R without making refresh completely impossible
While this is an older article, it was recently updated (2020) and it may help you figure something out on this!

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/...rowser-refresh
__________________
Daddy Does Dios and Figs!

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01 Sep 2021, 22:17
Hostboard's Avatar
Hostboard Hostboard is offline
 
Join Date: May 2002
Real name: Steven
These articles as well...

https://coderanch.com/t/603666/java/...e-Page-Refresh

http://aspalliance.com/687_Preventin...n_Page_Refresh

Maybe there is code in this addon that can be used?
https://vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=221739
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
Running custom version of vBulletin based on v4.2.5
PHP 7.4.x :: MariaDB 10.5.x :: UTF8MB4 & InnoDB Tables
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02 Sep 2021, 02:29
X-or X-or is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Originally Posted by TheLastSuperman View Post
While this is an older article, it was recently updated (2020) and it may help you figure something out on this!

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/...rowser-refresh
Thank you. I could disable f5 key but not ctr+R which does the same. Not sure how to include ctr+R in there.

Originally Posted by Hostboard View Post
Thanks, I checked that addon but it's very old and for vb3 so not sure if safe for vb4.
That 1st link is interesting but not sure how to include that code between the <% %> tags.
Is is compatible with the <script> tag?


Sorry to ask instead of testing but I have no offline test site right now, so want to be sure what I'm doing isn't going to break things badly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07 Sep 2021, 03:17
TheLastSuperman's Avatar
TheLastSuperman TheLastSuperman is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Real name: Michael Miller Jr
Cool

Originally Posted by X-or View Post
Thank you. I could disable f5 key but not ctr+R which does the same. Not sure how to include ctr+R in there.
See Post #5 here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...lr-was-pressed

This is the code I'm using to disable refresh on IE and firefox (This works well for F5, Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+R)


Block Disabled:      (Update License Status)  
Suspended or Unlicensed Members Cannot View Code.
__________________
Daddy Does Dios and Figs!

Search - Use the search feature to find similar issues/answers.
Information - Include screenshots, copy/pasted error codes, url etc.
Fixed - Please return to your thread/post and let us know how it was fixed!
Thanks - For participating! Click the "Like" on a post if someone helped you!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Add-On Releases DnP Firewall : SEO Friendly Double-Protection Layers against Flood / DoS / Spam Bots silveryhat vBulletin 3.8 Add-ons 160 06 May 2013 11:08



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: