Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01 Oct 2012, 13:33
conradk conradk is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Although I am ok with the look, I agree that most people are interested in performance and page load efficiency, which could be fixed with a 4.3 Update. I would pay for that even though we have a license for the 4.x Suite. IMHO they should have called this a VB5 Preview, not a beta. Get people to move to the Preview and then charge them for the GM - ala Microsoft.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10 Oct 2012, 15:28
PamelaE PamelaE is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
It would be good in a nutshell to know the benefits of Vbulletin 5.

Can someone explain the benefits of upgrading. I know it's a beta version so putting that to one side what are the benefits of the product.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10 Oct 2012, 15:54
TheSupportForum TheSupportForum is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Originally Posted by PamelaE View Post
It would be good in a nutshell to know the benefits of Vbulletin 5.

Can someone explain the benefits of upgrading. I know it's a beta version so putting that to one side what are the benefits of the product.
1) do not upgrade from vb4 - VB5 its still in beta and has bugs

a suggestion to install it in a folder like vb5demo
so you can test the features
__________________
http://www.multihunters.co.uk - all your coding needs
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10 Oct 2012, 16:16
Shazz's Avatar
Shazz Shazz is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Utah
Real name: Shawn
They jumped the gun pretty quick on vB5, the best results is to have users try it out and report back.
It's sad to see the poor conversion rate on vB4 mods.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10 Oct 2012, 16:39
Flightbase Flightbase is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
What ever vb5 will look like in some month - i won`t buy it since i will still remember, how IB took "care" of vb4 issues/customers. they did just lie, pushing big man power to vb5 - and vb4 isn`t even finished or completed.
try acting like that in a small company - and you will just go broke.

in vb4 release times they had some small bonus. but now things have changed.
1. other software made big steps
2. customers don`t trust IB anymore
3. releasing such a crap like beta 10 - are you f*cking serious?
4. customers payed for things in vb4 they never got - why should they trust in IB, that everything will change and be better?
5. IB is running too much into facebook things. at least my boards are not supposed to look or be like facebook. i purchased a messageboard and a board+cms suite - not some facebook-clone.
6. in performance meanings i`m sad from time to time, that i upgraded to vb4. i really want my vb 3 back sometimes. now, who will honestly tell me, vb5 will be faster, more performant as vb4 is right now?

i could go on. sad but true.

greets, Nik
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10 Oct 2012, 17:26
TheSupportForum TheSupportForum is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Originally Posted by Shazz View Post
They jumped the gun pretty quick on vB5, the best results is to have users try it out and report back.
It's sad to see the poor conversion rate on vB4 mods.
VB5 was out for a long time btw, it was alpha before beta, staff also advertised alpha testers so no they didnt just their gun, VB5 had been n development for some time
__________________
http://www.multihunters.co.uk - all your coding needs
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11 Oct 2012, 23:01
PamelaE PamelaE is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Originally Posted by simonhind View Post
1) do not upgrade from vb4 - VB5 its still in beta and has bugs

a suggestion to install it in a folder like vb5demo
so you can test the features
I'm not talking about the beta. I know about beta releases but I am expected to take advantage of a discount and yet nobody can tell me what the benefits are of it.

It seems a straight forward question. Not the benefits of the Beta but the benefits of VB5 as a product. Like someone at Apple can tell me why iPhone 5 is better than iPhone4.

Obviously the product has improved hence a new version but improved how?

What changes have been made that benefit me as a site owner in the current social media world and benefits the users?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12 Oct 2012, 03:16
nam6641 nam6641 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
the difference between different vbulletin versions 3,4,5 are that whenever you upgrade the vbulletin, You get
1. More server load
2. Slower page Loads
3. Loses Search Engine Rankings each time you upgrade (vbulletin 3 has index.php as default page, vb4 has forum.php/content.php/activity.php as default pages, while vbulletin 5 make a mess for search engines by moving all pages to core directory and change the whole sitemap) And search engines needs to re-index all your pages again after upgrading to vb5. i have read about the two layers system for more security in vb5,i have a simple question that it is good for Search engine rankings to change the site structure so rapidly?
4. You get more new bugs after upgrading.
5. Every time vbulletin upgrades its script the coders have to learn code again from the scratch to make new mods or port old mods to run with new script.
So whats the benefit of buying a vb5. If there is any? please mention thanks,if there are some solid reasons behind the vb5 then i will have no hesitation in purchasing a vb5 license.And one more thing i have noticed that we can't customize the design and templates as we used to do in vb4. is that true?

Last edited by nam6641; 12 Oct 2012 at 12:18.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12 Oct 2012, 10:32
ThemeBone ThemeBone is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
And one more thing i have noticed that we can't customize the design and templates as we used to do in vb4. is that true?
We can.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12 Oct 2012, 12:14
nam6641 nam6641 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Post

Originally Posted by ThemeBone View Post
We can.
can we add customize header easily to make the vb5 to look as the part of our site? that is what we can do easily in vb4, and i also noticed that there are so much less style vars in the styles of vb5.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12 Oct 2012, 12:16
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
Originally Posted by nam6641 View Post
the difference between different vbulletin versions 3,4,5 are that whenever you upgrade the vbulletin, You get
1. More server load
2. Slower page Loads
3. Loses Search Engine Rankings each time you upgrade (vbulletin 3 has index.php as default page, vb4 has forum.php/content.php/activity.php as default pages, while vbulletin 5 make a mess for search engines by moving all pages to core directory and change the whole sitemap) And search engines needs to re-index all your pages again after upgrading to vb5. i have read about the two layers system for more security in vb5, i wan't to know is it good for rankings by changing the whole site structure?
4. You get more new bugs after upgrading.
5. Every time vbulletin upgrades its script the coders have to learn code again from the scratch to make new mods or port old mods to run with new script.
So whats the benefit of buying a vb5. If there is any? please mention thanks,if there are some solid reasons behind the vb5 then i will have no hesitation in purchasing a vb5 license.And one more thing i have noticed that we can't customize the design and templates as we used to do in vb4. is that true?
You appear to be misinformed on some of your statements.

3. The URLs will never have /core/ in them and all your old URLs will redirect correctly to the new URLs if you install vBulletin 5 in the same directory VB4 was installed in.

5. The upgrade from VB 3 to 3.5 added a hooks system so yes it was a new way of coding mods but the template syntax was the same. The upgrade from 3.x to 4.x had new template syntax but the back end (hooks) code was exactly the same as VB 3.x. In fact the majority of my mods work fine on 3.x or 4.x. The upgrade from 4.x to 5.x has removed the hooks system in favor of file extensions, so yes it is another big change, but the template syntax from 4.x works in 5.x, so that is something. There hasn't really be a release where everything changes.

1 & 2 - Remains to be seen when it is out of Beta
4 - This is true, but honestly expected- going to a new major version will always bring new bugs.
__________________
-Joe
Former vb.org Moderator. Retired.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12 Oct 2012, 20:58
nam6641 nam6641 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
You appear to be misinformed on some of your statements.

3. The URLs will never have /core/ in them and all your old URLs will redirect correctly to the new URLs if you install vBulletin 5 in the same directory VB4 was installed in.

5. The upgrade from VB 3 to 3.5 added a hooks system so yes it was a new way of coding mods but the template syntax was the same. The upgrade from 3.x to 4.x had new template syntax but the back end (hooks) code was exactly the same as VB 3.x. In fact the majority of my mods work fine on 3.x or 4.x. The upgrade from 4.x to 5.x has removed the hooks system in favor of file extensions, so yes it is another big change, but the template syntax from 4.x works in 5.x, so that is something. There hasn't really be a release where everything changes.

1 & 2 - Remains to be seen when it is out of Beta
4 - This is true, but honestly expected- going to a new major version will always bring new bugs.
Thanks for your detailed answer, hopefully i will give a try to vbulletin 5 when vbulletin 5 connect stable version will release. Just one more question please, i am thinking to purchase a vbulltetin 5 connect and will integrate it with my custom build php site, can i integrate vbulletin 5 seamlessly with site design? i am worried about vbulletin 5 header with site builder, that will create lot of problems for me when customizing it.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16 Oct 2012, 18:45
BirdOPrey5's Avatar
BirdOPrey5 BirdOPrey5 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Real name: Joe D.
vBulletin 5 is not designed to integrate with other software. Your ability to do so will depend on your ability to custom style both vBulletin and the other software to make it look like they belong together.
__________________
-Joe
Former vb.org Moderator. Retired.

@BirdOPrey5 | All Things BOP5 | Joe's Ultimate Off Topic
Note - I no longer making new VB mods, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 30 Oct 2012, 21:12
temsamane temsamane is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
will there be a vbulletin 4.3? or will vb4 not upgraded anymore?
__________________
Temsamane
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 31 Oct 2012, 09:28
Justinw1970 Justinw1970 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I have just installed VB5. Apart from the fact it took me about 12 hours to figure out a .htaccess conflict I will be using it on a fledgling live site. This is my first VB forum and to be honest I dont want to learn how to use 4 and then have to use 5.

I also like the responsiveness of it out of the box.... Not sure if there are responsive themes for 4, but anyway I will report back in a couple of weeks!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: