Register Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 29 Oct 2008, 20:13
Lizard King's Avatar
Lizard King Lizard King is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Real name: Mert
Duplicate Mods

As there is an active ranking system on vbulletin.org for coders and designers , why dont you guys allow duplicate mods.

Instead of duplicate ods , it can be solved by choosing multiple vbulletin versions. Currently people release same mod with no single change on different sections on board which makes the ranking system in accurate.
__________________
Mert G÷kšeimam / Crawlability Inc.

DepKaš | vBSEO 3.3.0 - vBulletin Search Engine Optimisation
  #2  
Old 29 Oct 2008, 20:58
Danny.VBT Danny.VBT is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
I think it good suggestion, right now forum based separation is flawed in my opinion. Perhaps we can incorporate threads tags for this...it's really what tagging is all about when basic ontological separation is too limited.
  #3  
Old 29 Oct 2008, 21:12
nexialys
Guest
 
Hey Danny, that would mean we switch the site to 3.7 at least, so maybe an analysis IN PUBLIC of how the coders see the situation and how WE can bring solutions for the older stuff too ???

because sorry for my arrogance, but all the times, these decisions are debated in private, discussed for X minutes, and abandonned, cached or stored for future references... and nothing is never done.
  #4  
Old 29 Oct 2008, 21:22
Brad Brad is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
As there is an active ranking system on vbulletin.org for coders and designers , why dont you guys allow duplicate mods.

Instead of duplicate ods , it can be solved by choosing multiple vbulletin versions. Currently people release same mod with no single change on different sections on board which makes the ranking system in accurate.
While a lot of modifications don't require it; I've been ranting for years about the fact that we need "project webpages" like they have on sourceforge. For anyone that isn't up to speed with what I'm talking about see; http://sourceforge.net/projects/sierra-php/ for an example.

Some key things I've been wanting to see for awhile;

- Ability to upload/host multiple copies of the software. I know this is possible with the current attachment system but I'd like to see something more user friendly (like having them listed by version number).

- Sub-forums for modifications. The main ones we need; Support, Bug reports, General Development.

- Ability to browse a modifications source code before downloading it. Hosting the modifications in a repo system. (I'll get to this in a second).

- Ability to have an "FAQ" on our modification's page.

- A way to update users outside of sending e-mails and editing threads. We need a way to post news about our modifications.

Going back to storing modifications in a repo; It'd be neat if I could download and install modifications directly from my admincp (*hint*).
  #5  
Old 29 Oct 2008, 21:24
Danny.VBT Danny.VBT is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Originally Posted by nexialys View Post
Hey Danny, that would mean we switch the site to 3.7 at least, so maybe an analysis IN PUBLIC of how the coders see the situation and how WE can bring solutions for the older stuff too ???

because sorry for my arrogance, but all the times, these decisions are debated in private, discussed for X minutes, and abandonned, cached or stored for future references... and nothing is never done.
In any administration (and I'm not just talking about online communities here) most of the discussion and planning is done privately.

Have you ever heard of the old saying "too many cooks in the kitchen?" I have, and I've also experienced it far too many times...talk about things never getting done.

And your arrogance aside, you have no idea what goes behind the scenes of vBulletin.org so it's really not accurate or fair to say how many "minutes" these topics are discussed.

As a user, you're suggestions are invaluable. I don't know how many times I've said that no suggestions are ignored. Leave the administration aspects of this site to the staff. Trust me, it's for the better.

And I don't want this turning into another needless argument or debate, so please just don't even bother. Please, only post directly about the suggestion topic.
  #6  
Old 29 Oct 2008, 22:20
Lizard King's Avatar
Lizard King Lizard King is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Real name: Mert
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
While a lot of modifications don't require it; I've been ranting for years about the fact that we need "project webpages" like they have on sourceforge. For anyone that isn't up to speed with what I'm talking about see; http://sourceforge.net/projects/sierra-php/ for an example.

Some key things I've been wanting to see for awhile;

- Ability to upload/host multiple copies of the software. I know this is possible with the current attachment system but I'd like to see something more user friendly (like having them listed by version number).

- Sub-forums for modifications. The main ones we need; Support, Bug reports, General Development.

- Ability to browse a modifications source code before downloading it. Hosting the modifications in a repo system. (I'll get to this in a second).

- Ability to have an "FAQ" on our modification's page.

- A way to update users outside of sending e-mails and editing threads. We need a way to post news about our modifications.

Going back to storing modifications in a repo; It'd be neat if I could download and install modifications directly from my admincp (*hint*).
I agree that modification pages can be improved. Supplying each modification a page of its own is a good idea but i honestly dont think it is possible to handle this while allowing comments and bug reports on same place. That why it may not be possible.

My main reason for suggesting this is directly related to vBulletin.org's Coder ranking system. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/vborg...eleases&type=1 follow this link and you'll see what i mean. nearly 90% of this releases are duplicate of even 3.6 version nearly. This way coders double or triple their release and install number.

I personally donot release anything at vb.org for various reasons but people depend on coder rankings for paid modifications which may mix their mind up.

Danny's tag solution may work or custom fields can be used such as coders can choose which versions the mod will work with.

This is also a problem on coders side since he needs to support the product in two different threads.
__________________
Mert G÷kšeimam / Crawlability Inc.

DepKaš | vBSEO 3.3.0 - vBulletin Search Engine Optimisation
  #7  
Old 30 Oct 2008, 01:40
Paul M's Avatar
Paul M Paul M is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Real name: Paul M
While it is true that releasing the same mod in two areas (like 3.6 and 3.7) will affect the coders ranking, it wont actually have as big an effect as some think - as each area has a preset weighting, so mods in the 3.6 area do not count as much as mods in the 3.7 area. The older the version, the less weight it has.

If the site was starting from scratch then we wouldnt have seperate areas, there would be some sort of version system in the release thread to show which vb versions it was valid for. However, doing this now would cause a huge headache and potentially tons of work trying to get all existing releases to use a new system. Besides which there are often minor differences between releases anyway.

Maybe when vb 4.0 comes out a new system may be looked at, since its likely that 99% of existing mods will need to be updated and re-released at that point, I think any change before then is highly unlikely.
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member


Cable Forum
Please do not PM me about custom work - I no longer undertake any.
Note: I will not answer support questions via e-mail or PM - please use the relevant thread or forum.
  #8  
Old 30 Oct 2008, 02:26
nexialys
Guest
 
/me have to applause Paul M for this answer...

cheers !
  #9  
Old 30 Oct 2008, 09:20
Dean C's Avatar
Dean C Dean C is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Real name: Dean Clatworthy
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
While it is true that releasing the same mod in two areas (like 3.6 and 3.7) will affect the coders ranking, it wont actually have as big an effect as some think - as each area has a preset weighting, so mods in the 3.6 area do not count as much as mods in the 3.7 area. The older the version, the less weight it has.

If the site was starting from scratch then we wouldnt have seperate areas, there would be some sort of version system in the release thread to show which vb versions it was valid for. However, doing this now would cause a huge headache and potentially tons of work trying to get all existing releases to use a new system. Besides which there are often minor differences between releases anyway.

Maybe when vb 4.0 comes out a new system may be looked at, since its likely that 99% of existing mods will need to be updated and re-released at that point, I think any change before then is highly unlikely.
I hope those weights don't change over time. I released a lot here a long time ago, and whilst those hacks don't apply to many boards these days, they did at the time.
__________________
Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer
  #10  
Old 30 Oct 2008, 09:49
Marco van Herwaarden Marco van Herwaarden is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Yes they do change over time with new vB versions released.
__________________
Marco van Herwaarden
Ex vBulletin.org Coordinator
  #11  
Old 30 Oct 2008, 14:50
Princeton's Avatar
Princeton Princeton is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Real name: Joe Velez
Originally Posted by Dean C View Post
I hope those weights don't change over time. I released a lot here a long time ago, and whilst those hacks don't apply to many boards these days, they did at the time.
yes, they do
the idea is to promote/benefit "active" coders
__________________
Former vBulletin.org Staff Member

Latest Articles:
Liquid Layout = Less Ad Revenue?
How to Monetize Your Site
Improve Web Page Performance
How To Write For The Web


If it needs instructions, there's room for improvement.
Give users what they actually want, not what they say they want. And whatever you do, don't give them new features just because your competitors have them!
  #12  
Old 30 Oct 2008, 18:27
Dean C's Avatar
Dean C Dean C is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Real name: Dean Clatworthy
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
yes, they do
the idea is to promote/benefit "active" coders
I can see the point, but as someone who contributed a while ago now, it's kind of a kick in the teeth.
__________________
Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer
  #13  
Old 01 Nov 2008, 01:52
Gio~Logist's Avatar
Gio~Logist Gio~Logist is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Francisco
Real name: Giovanni Martinez
Danny dude, lol I actually had trusted you more than to say something like "as a user your suggestions are invaluable". Lets take a look at the user to staff ratio and just how much of any website's success is due to "their users". Or am I missing something here?

It's agreed that the mods system needs improvement, even Paul was able to admit to that. The fact that you guys are waiting till vb4, although I do share the restlessness that others do for better organization, is understandable due to the fact that vb4 will bring an immense amount of changes. But the key here is just always knowing where there's need for improvement, especially when the suggestions are made from members who posted modifications here for free.
__________________

ModernvB.com - vBulletin Mods & Services - ModernvB.com vBulletin 3 Mods - ModernvB.com vBulletin 4 Mods - Hire ModernvB
Full-Time vB Development - If you can think it, we can build it.
  #14  
Old 01 Nov 2008, 02:47
Danny.VBT Danny.VBT is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Originally Posted by Gio~Logist View Post
Danny dude, lol I actually had trusted you more than to say something like "as a user your suggestions are invaluable". Lets take a look at the user to staff ratio and just how much of any website's success is due to "their users". Or am I missing something here?
Not sure what you mean, Gio?

invaluable:
of great value; costly, precious, priceless; very useful
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/invaluable
I think it's best if we wait until vB 4 as our entire back end will have to be rewritten anyway.
  #15  
Old 01 Nov 2008, 04:00
Shelley_c's Avatar
Shelley_c Shelley_c is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Real name: Shelley Cunningham
I think what's gio's saying danny is, if members can post their free modifications, and spend their valuable time in creating them to bettering this site then the staff can atleast get off their backside and start improving the modifcation system instead of coming up with the "same old, same old" aka "lets wait for *inserts vbulletin revision here*". Yeah, it's a lot of work, but so are the free modifications, styles & graphics that members spend their time creating and post here.

The "let's wait for armageddon" is getting old and you don't have to look far in this thread that members aka contributors are fustrated.
__________________
AdminExtra.com - The forum for smiley enthusiasts. Tutorials, Resources.
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38.

Layout Options | Width: Wide Color: